General Weather/Earth Sciences Topics > Weather Folklore

Month-Specific Weather Folklore Sayings

<< < (2/2)

BaseLine:
Not really month specific but we have 3 bird species that are really good at telling what's coming and they never fail. 
Firs one leaves, weather gets cold and rainy, second leaves we get frost and when the third one takes off, snow is coming. (untranslatable because it uses bird names and kinda rimes)

broadstairs:

--- Quote from: CW2274 on July 20, 2022, 07:18:53 PM ---Not monthly, but my dad taught me this as a kid and is quite accurate scientifically as well (that is the Northern Hemisphere).

"Red sky in the morning, sailor's take warning; red sky at night, sailor's delight!"

--- End quote ---

The slightly more common version here in the UK is

"Red sky at night shepherds delight, red sky in the morning shepherds warning"

Stuart

DaleReid:
Now in my 7th decade, I used to think about the March saying, at least up until mid grades, say 12 or so and was never wrong.  Since then it is so off that I don't hear anyone talking about that any more.

Things change, I guess.

My grandmother, and old Slavic lady, had a saying for almost anything, some based on what others were saying (like the Red Sky which does hold a little science behind it) but most of the time it was no more accurate than the Farmer's Almanac.  Another subject which I don't understand how it got traction and persists to this day.  The National Enquirer is better use of print material than is the Almanac.

Serious question:  The little wooly worms as we call them here, are going to be out soon, and I wonder what moth or butterfly they turn into.  I guess I could use DuckDuck to look it up but it is more fun speculating about it. 

As far as season indicators, this time of year after a hot dry summer I begin to see the big grasshoppers, not the katydids, but with the black wings when they fly.  And a smaller one that made a snapping sound as it flies were automatic indicators that fall and school were not far away.

CW2274:

--- Quote from: DaleReid on August 17, 2022, 09:10:47 AM ---As far as season indicators, this time of year after a hot dry summer I begin to see the big grasshoppers, not the katydids, but with the black wings when they fly.  And a smaller one that made a snapping sound as it flies were automatic indicators that fall and school were not far away.

--- End quote ---
This is exactly what we associated Cicadas with in late summer in northern Ohio. Their "tymbal" causes the buzzing noise that is so prevalent that time of year. Always bummed me out knowing summer vacation was all but gone.  :-({|=

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version