Author Topic: Upgrades? Since Victoria is Listening, What Upgrades Would you Like to See?  (Read 6856 times)

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Upgrades? Since Victoria is Listening, What Upgrades Would you Like to See?
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »
If you want to enforce what outside name servers are accessed from your network, you need to do that at your firewall.

One of the most interesting firewall rules that I have on the firewall cluster at work (10,000+ devices) is for outgoing DNS connections that are not originating from our in-house DNS cache servers.  Most cases to date have been malware/spyware with hard-coded DNS servers in it, trying to get around our DNS logging and suspicious site/host filters.

As for my home network, let's just say that I'm going to shut my pi-hole now.....  :lol:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline giveme5

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2019, 08:50:34 PM »
If you want to enforce what outside name servers are accessed from your network, you need to do that at your firewall.

Yeah, you're right. Got to do that for rouge devices like Access. For everything else, you just configure network client either through DHCP or manual config. Easy peasy...

DHCP is not a network cop.  Nothing is forced to use it.

[tup] unless...

DHCP is the only way to configure network client, like when manual configuration interface is missing.

Anyway, I'm out of this meaningless conversation. Have a good one!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2019, 09:18:50 PM »

Yeah, you're right. Got to do that for rouge devices like Access. For everything else, you just configure network client either through DHCP or manual config. Easy peasy...

DHCP is not a network cop.  Nothing is forced to use it.

[tup] unless...

DHCP is the only way to configure network client, like when manual configuration interface is missing.

Anyway, I'm out of this meaningless conversation. Have a good one!

Yep.  It sure was meaningless.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 09:23:00 PM by nincehelser »

Offline opuntia

« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2019, 10:40:32 AM »
I've had the Atlas for about a week now and here are a few changes I would like to see:

1.  Daily (midnight - midnight) rainfall total.  At a minimum the main screen could roll between daily/24hr/48hr to hopefully satisfy everybody
2.  Show wind direction over time.  They could use the arrows like wunderground does (see attachment)
3.  Show the Dark Sky forecast (like the app) when tapping the forecast image
4.  Not sure if the lightning detector knows direction, but a circular graph with concentric rings for distance that would indicate distance and cardinal location from station.  Could be different colors for time elapsed since strike.

That's it for now.  Thanks!

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2019, 12:36:09 PM »
The Atlas display does not have a connection to the internet, so I don't think that item 3 (Dark Sky forecast) is technically possible.

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2020, 10:16:09 PM »
1) Atlas display with Wifi. App access to live weather data over local network/no internet required, switch to remote internet data when out of range.
2) Local Forecast. Radar image. Touch animated forecast/forecast icon to show "Extended Forecast" and "Radar" menu screen. Button to show time lapse radar.
3) Sell temp/humidity sensors with integrated lcd display. Transmit sensor data to Atlas display. Show temp/humidity readings on ticker at bottom of the Atlas display. Allow users to assign custom names. Left/Right arrows to switch among sensors. Auto cycle setting.

78F indoor 49%  ->  74F bedroom 47%  ->  20F freezer 87%  ->  95F gHouse 43%

4) On Calendar, display rainfall indicator above days that had rainfall. Touch date to show daily data. Retrieve daily data from SD card.
5) Menu setting for Automatic/Manual over-the-air firmware updates. Memory chip with backup firmware to protect against corrupt updates or power outage.
6) Page curl in top corner or left/right arrows that would allow a user to switch between full animated forecast or sensors(soil sensor, air quality, sunrise/sunset times, etc) readings and forecast icon in bottom right corner of forecast section.
7) Menu setting to show/hide rain gauge to the right of the rain info.
8 ) 1 second wind speed sample rate. Dynamic transmit rate based on weather conditions. Wind speed changing quickly = faster transmit speed. Calm day = slower transmit speed, which would conserve battery power.
9) Transmit fan speed with temp/humidity data. Slower fan speed or fan not working = less accurate temperature/humidity.
10) Add IFTTT(If this, then that) to the display. Sell smart switches that can communicate with the Atlas display or through the local wifi network. Low soil moisture = turn on water irrigation pump/sprinkler system or rain barrel valve.
11) Midnight to midnight rainfall option.
12) Enable/Disable selected ticker messages. Adjustable scroll speed.
13) Chill hours ticker message. Useful for gardeners and fruit tree growers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilling_requirement.
14) Battery backup. Low power mode during power outage that would allow the display to receive sensor data. Turn off display after x seconds to conserve battery power.
15) Light/Dark mode.
16) Ability to turn on/off backlight.
17) Add a "Last Rain x Days Ago" message.
18) Add "24 hours" and "12 hours" on the graph screen.
19) "Yesterday's Rainfall" ticker message.
20) At the bottom of the lightning detector graph screen, put "Closest --mi    Last --mi    Strikes --".
21) On the left side of the lightning detector graph screen, put a "Strikes" button and a "Distance" button. Pressing the Strikes button would show a graph of the number of lightning strikes. Pressing the Distance button would show a graph of the lightning strike distances.
22) At the top right corner of the Yesterday/Today Record screen, put a "Page 2" button. Pressing the button, would show readings for pressure, light intensity, lightning distance. On that screen the button would change to "Page 1".
23) If the Atlas display had wifi, lightning data could be uploaded and compared to lightning data from other Atlas users in a x mile radius. Lightning data from at least three users in the same area would be needed to triangulate the location of the lightning strike.
24) Atlas replacement parts.
25) Add an external antenna port to the Altas sensor. A wire could be connected to the external antenna port and then connected to a metal mounting pole. The metal pole would become an antenna. Or a long wire could be connected to the external antenna port and then hung down to the bottom of the mounting pole or the wire could be placed in the attic. Some people have a house with a metal roof. The metal roof blocks the signal from the sensor. An external antenna would allow the signal to be transmitted below the metal roof.
26) If interference is detected during a storm(wind speed increasing, rainfall detected), assume the interference is lightning. Sometimes my Atlas display shows "interference detected" during a storm when there is lightning flashes and thunder, but on a clear day, it does NOT show interference detected. Maybe there could be a sensitivity setting on the display.
27) Add "Feels Like" to the "Dew Point", "Heat index", and "Wind Chill" ticker section.

On the Atlas "Yesterday's Records" screen, if there was no lightning, it shows "---- total" for lightning activity. It should show "0 total".
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 06:21:50 PM by 49studebaker »

Offline Bswartz95

Hi Nincehelser, Did you get any word from Victoria on rain rate bug?
Looks she is active now in forum.

We're investigating this, and I will let you know when I have more information. Thank you!

I've tried to follow this thread...

My AcuRite Atlas seems to report rainfall rate parallel to that of the total rainfall.  When my neighbors weather station is showing over 2.00"/hour in a heavy thunderstorm, my Atlas incrementally increases the rain rate with the total accumulation.  The total rainfall is very accurate with other stations.   The anomaly is the rainfall rate.  (see photo)

Also, worth noting, my Atlas rainfall rate slowly decreases long after the actual rain has stopped.  Other stations around me instantly stop reporting rain when the event ends.

Is this a bug or just how AcuRite reports rainfall rates?  Notice all the local stations report similar total rainfall, but my rate is way different than the others.
Ambient WS-2000
WU: KOHBLACK25
CWOP: FW7605

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
If Acurite wanted to they could change it or provide the option.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36086.0

But there is nothing wrong with the way that Acurite has chosen to implement their rain rate. It is just another way, which tells a different story. Some people like Caesar dressing and others like Honey Mustard.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:06:31 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bswartz95

If Acurite wanted to they could change it or provide the option.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36086.0

But there is nothing wrong with the way that Acurite has chosen to implement their rain rate. It is just another way, which tells a different story. Some people like Caesar dressing and others like Honey Mustard.

Thanks for the link. Makes sense. I wish AcuRite would give an option. I prefer the instantaneous reporting. If AcuRite doesn’t offer the option to choose when it comes time for me to upgrade, I’ll be moving to a different sensor.

Thanks again.
Ambient WS-2000
WU: KOHBLACK25
CWOP: FW7605