Author Topic: Upgrades? Since Victoria is Listening, What Upgrades Would you Like to See?  (Read 6784 times)

Offline bdh

Re: Upgrades? Since Victoria is Listening, What Upgrades Would you Like to See?
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »
The weather Company / IBM
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:37:43 PM by bdh »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2018, 08:03:42 PM »
This is the best Wundermap with live icons.

https://maps.wunderground.com/wundermap

Offline bdh

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »
Ya that is a good one I use it . I did not buy a display for the atlas I look at it online at WU I also have the weatherflow on Wu and would like to compare the 2 apple to apples but as George has stated that there are bugs with the the UV and solar radiation on  the access to send the code to WU it works on the Myacurite

I guess they had already written the code in the Access for Atlas when it came out and WU changed something in code requirements after. and Access needs a update for the solar and uv to work on WU

Sound about right ?

Offline Harplayr

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2019, 06:59:58 PM »
Add me to the list of those that are requesting that the daily rainfall total be shown. I'm much more concerned with that data than the past 48 hours or week. Midnight to midnight would be fine. This might be a deal breaker for me.

I liked how the Davis Vantage showed daily rainfall and rainstorm if the event spanned several days.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 07:08:41 PM by Harplayr »

Offline mikemaps

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2019, 11:26:31 AM »
I agree with some others, display should always display today’s rainfall, midnight to midnight.

Offline dgf

• Suburban Area near Lake Saint Clair
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2019, 10:47:38 AM »
I would like to see solar radiation graphed for my new Atlas Weather Station.  Since Light intensity is recorded to Acurite and to my HD display and it should be able to be transmitted via Weatherground, since Ambient stations have that option activated.

Dan

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2019, 11:10:35 AM »
I would like to see solar radiation graphed for my new Atlas Weather Station.  Since Light intensity is recorded to Acurite and to my HD display and it should be able to be transmitted via Weatherground, since Ambient stations have that option activated.

Dan

Light intensity (Lux) is not the same as Solar Radiation W/m2. You can use Light Intensity to easily get to UV index but Solar Radiation is different.

Davis VP2 Plus stations have separate UV and Solar Radiation sensors. There is no conversion happening with Davis VP2+ as each sensor is designed to measure each thing.

The Acurite Atlas only light intensity sensor and UV sensor, neither which are a solar radiation sensor.

Ambient (Fine Offset) stations only have a light intensity sensor which easily shows UV. What Ambient (Fine Offset) is doing to get Solar Radiation is to take some liberties and estimate the Solar Radiation based on a formula to convert light intensity Lux into W/m2. But this is not apples to apples. It is not like converting inches to millimeters. I believe I read somewhere that Acurite didn't believe in doing this. It is a rough estimate that is not 100% accurate to do this conversion. Therefore I doubt you'll ever see Solar Radiation from the Atlas, even though as you said it is possible if you accept the conversion with its average estimation formula.

The formula Ambient (Fine Offset) uses is to divide Lux by 126.7 to get W/m2 therefore if you capture the data yourself and run your own software to report to WU then you could possibly use this method to report Solar Radiation. I think using WeeWx might provide the solution. Or perhaps your own upload script which many have done.

Link to Ambient formula and explanation of why this is just a rough estimate as it really varies based on different factors:
https://ambientweather.net/help/why-is-the-lux-to-w-m-2-conversion-factor-126-7/

Edited: To correct for dual sensors on Acurite Atlas for UV and light intensity (neither of which are solar radiation sensors).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:33:26 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline dgf

• Suburban Area near Lake Saint Clair
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2019, 12:26:48 PM »
Thanks for the info.  However, light intensity to solar isn't that simple, from what I remembered, because one's latitude is also configured into a more complicated formula.
Rough estimate is okay!
Thanks,
Dan

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2019, 03:09:40 PM »
UV is not derived from light intensity.

The chip in the Atlas has distinct UV and light sensor arrays.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2019, 03:13:22 PM »
You may be right...but I only saw the one thing on top of the Atlas. If there is a separate UV and light intensity then neither are a solar radiation sensor.
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2019, 03:25:29 PM »
You may be right...but I only saw the one thing on top of the Atlas.

Yes, there is only "one thing" showing externally.

Regardless, there are two distinct sensor arrays on the chip.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »
You may be right...but I only saw the one thing on top of the Atlas.

Yes, there is only "one thing" showing externally.

Regardless, there are two distinct sensor arrays on the chip.

Thank you for the clarification. I've edited my response above.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:33:42 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2019, 04:15:44 PM »
Lux is light visible to the human eye.  UV is not visible to the human eye.

So Ambient is also estimating UV from Lux?  That seems unusual.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2019, 04:35:15 PM »
Lux is light visible to the human eye.  UV is not visible to the human eye.

So Ambient is also estimating UV from Lux?  That seems unusual.

I don't know. On Ambient/Ecowitt/Fine Offset there is what appears to be just one thing (which is why I thought the Atlas was the same).  The fact that they list this one device in one line made me think it was just one sensor not two. If there are two chip/sensors there as one unit then it isn't immediately obvious. Notice though that Solar Radiation is not mentioned....because it is calculated. So maybe there are two things there.

Specifications (taken from Ecowitt HP2551):
Outdoor sensor
Transmission distance in open field: 100 m (330 ft.); RF Frequency: 433 MHz
Temperature range:-40°F - 140°F;Accuracy: 2°F
Humidity range: 10% ~ 99%; Accuracy: 5%
Rain volume display range: 0–199.99 in; Accuracy: 10%
UV-Index range: 0 – 15; Light range: 0 – 120 kLux
Sensor reporting interval: 16 seconds
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:37:54 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2019, 04:45:22 PM »
Here is more specifications from WH2900 manual (WS-2902A).
I only see one thing listed for this sensor we are discussing. That is why it looks to me like just one thing. No mention of UV nor Solar Radiation. Only mentions Lux.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:47:00 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline giveme5

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »
I'd like Access firmware update:

a) Access loses signal from Atlas at least once per day, anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes at the time.
If I unplug network cable and plug it in after light start blinking, most of the times, it immediately finds the signal.
It looks like it goes in some sort of scan mode to find signal after network connectivity is restored.
Would be nice if it did the same after (regular) loss of signal from Atlas.

b) Access should always use DNS servers as set by DHCP, instead of being sneaky and querying Google 8.8.4.4 DNS server.
There's no need for that. This should be either removed, and/or disclosed to end user, especially if there's data involved beyond weather.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2019, 04:03:59 PM »
I'd like Access firmware update:

a) Access loses signal from Atlas at least once per day, anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes at the time.
If I unplug network cable and plug it in after light start blinking, most of the times, it immediately finds the signal.
It looks like it goes in some sort of scan mode to find signal after network connectivity is restored.
Would be nice if it did the same after (regular) loss of signal from Atlas.

Unlike the displays, the Access doesn't have a "scan mode".  It really can't "scan" since it has to maintain connectivity with other sensors.

Unplugging the network cable doesn't have anything to do with the 433MHz side, anyway.

b) Access should always use DNS servers as set by DHCP, instead of being sneaky and querying Google 8.8.4.4 DNS server.
There's no need for that. This should be either removed, and/or disclosed to end user, especially if there's data involved beyond weather.

Nothing sneaky here.  It falls back to the public google DNS servers if it cannot get resolution from the local DNS servers.  That's a very common technique.

Also, if it was ignoring your local DNS, the folks using DNS redirection with solutions like Acuparse wouldn't be able to work.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2019, 05:42:07 PM »
Unlike the displays, the Access doesn't have a "scan mode".  It really can't "scan" since it has to maintain connectivity with other sensors.
Unplugging the network cable doesn't have anything to do with the 433MHz side, anyway.

Well, whether it has "scan mode" or not, restored ethernet connectivity triggers re-acquisition of Atlas signal 99 percent of the time (under a minute).
If I leave it alone it takes 20 minutes in average. It does "something", whatever that is.

Nothing sneaky here.  It falls back to the public google DNS servers if it cannot get resolution from the local DNS servers.

Fallback is secondary and/or tertiary DNS server. If it can't query first server it should query secondary or tertiary etc, not Google DNS. There's a reason why specifying more than one DNS server is recommended and there's a reason why only specified servers should be used.

That's a very common technique.

Yeah, mostly for IOT devices, which is a result of either lazy programming or desire to circumvent DNS based blocking.

Also, if it was ignoring your local DNS, the folks using DNS redirection with solutions like Acuparse wouldn't be able to work.

It doesn't ignore it, but it also doesn't use all of the specified servers if primary fails, neither it tries over TCP if UDP fails. It goes to Google instead.
If all specified DNS servers fail, it should keep trying those until they are back up, not circumvent it with hardcoded DNS "feature".

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2019, 06:11:14 PM »
Fallback is secondary and/or tertiary DNS server. If it can't query first server it should query secondary or tertiary etc, not Google DNS. There's a reason why specifying more than one DNS server is recommended and there's a reason why only specified servers should be used.

Yes, it's to provide redundancy should a DNS server fail.  Many home networks only end up with one.

There's nothing wrong with providing a fall-back should the local dns be not working or throwing out lame data.

In any case, the primary purpose of the Access is to "phone home".  They want to give it the best chance possible for doing that.

No one is being lazy and I very much doubt the Access is trying to circumvent DNS based blocking.

Things like this are normal in the network world.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 06:16:18 PM by nincehelser »

Offline giveme5

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2019, 10:25:01 PM »
Many home networks only end up with one.

Most of the ISPs provide two as required, some provide more than two. Haven't heard of any that provide one.

There's nothing wrong with providing a fall-back should the local dns be not working or throwing out lame data.

There's just about everything wrong with IOT device going beyond the config received by DHCP no matter how well it was intended.

In any case, the primary purpose of the Access is to "phone home".  They want to give it the best chance possible for doing that.

They're doing it the wrong way.

No one is being lazy and I very much doubt the Access is trying to circumvent DNS based blocking.

You're right. It's a step beyond laziness. All these extra and undisclosed "goodies" should be configurable through nice user interface. But they aren't configurable nor are they disclosed to end user.

No. they were never normal nor are they normal today. In fact, hardcoded crap like that was always considered as one of "Deadly Sins".
They may become more common if people like you are not only accepting it, but also sell it as some added value.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2019, 04:07:12 AM »
Many home networks only end up with one.

Most of the ISPs provide two as required, some provide more than two. Haven't heard of any that provide one.

There's just about everything wrong with IOT device going beyond the config received by DHCP no matter how well it was intended.

They're doing it the wrong way.

You're right. It's a step beyond laziness. All these extra and undisclosed "goodies" should be configurable through nice user interface. But they aren't configurable nor are they disclosed to end user.

No. they were never normal nor are they normal today. In fact, hardcoded crap like that was always considered as one of "Deadly Sins".
They may become more common if people like you are not only accepting it, but also sell it as some added value.

Guess we live in different worlds, then.

Many IPS provde different IP numbers on the same interface.  Looks like two machines, but it's the same hardware.  There are no guarantees you're going to get two distinct machines.

So, a "hints" file in your mind is "hardcoded"?  Is a host file hardcoded?

If they're "doing in the wrong way" in your opinion, there are a lot of skilled and knowledgeable people doing it.

I'd love to see your "rules" listed out somewhere about things you "can't do".

Yes, there are lots of "goodies" you, as a user, can't configure.  They can be configured by the company, though.  That's normal, too. 

This is a silly argument.  Having a known working backup in your pocket is perfectly fine.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2019, 04:50:00 PM »
Many IPS provde different IP numbers on the same interface.  Looks like two machines, but it's the same hardware.  There are no guarantees you're going to get two distinct machines.

It can go other way too and most of the times it does. Like multiple machines behind load balancer ie single IP. It's not up to AcuRite to determine redunduncy of my DNS setup. None of their business, especially when they were not asked for.

Splitting the hair much? From end user point of view, if it isn't configurable, yes.

If they're "doing in the wrong way" in your opinion, there are a lot of skilled and knowledgeable people doing it.

"DHCP must allow local system administrators control over configuration parameters where desired; e.g., local system administrators should be able to enforce local policies"

That applies for both, host and client.

BTW, this aren't my rules, all this comes from Internet Engineering Task Force and their RFCs.
https://www.ietf.org/standards/rfcs/

Acurate shouldn't just willy-nilly change DHCP supplied configuration and go against network administrators.

Yes, there are lots of "goodies" you, as a user, can't configure.  They can be configured by the company, though.  That's normal, too.

It is NOT normal to go against RFCs.

This is a silly argument.  Having a known working backup in your pocket is perfectly fine.

BS. User should decide whether to use such forced feature or not, especially if that feature goes against common practice and against RFCs.
Until such feature is user configurable, Access is a rouge IOT device.

PS
Are you on AcuRate payroll, or do you receive any benefits from them? You sure do jump to their defense at any given opportunity...

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2019, 06:22:41 PM »

It can go other way too and most of the times it does. Like multiple machines behind load balancer ie single IP. It's not up to AcuRite to determine redunduncy of my DNS setup. None of their business, especially when they were not asked for.

Splitting the hair much? From end user point of view, if it isn't configurable, yes.

DHCP can't enforce anything as it can always be overridden locally.

"DHCP must allow local system administrators control over configuration parameters where desired; e.g., local system administrators should be able to enforce local policies"

That applies for both, host and client.

BTW, this aren't my rules, all this comes from Internet Engineering Task Force and their RFCs.
https://www.ietf.org/standards/rfcs/

Acurate shouldn't just willy-nilly change DHCP supplied configuration and go against network administrators.

It is NOT normal to go against RFCs.

BS. User should decide whether to use such forced feature or not, especially if that feature goes against common practice and against RFCs.
Until such feature is user configurable, Access is a rouge IOT device.

PS
Are you on AcuRate payroll, or do you receive any benefits from them? You sure do jump to their defense at any given opportunity...

No.  I've been doing network and product development for decades.  I just know my stuff.

DHCP can't enforce anything.  It can always be over-ridden locally.  For example: nsswitch.conf (or equivalent).

Again, nothing technically rogue here.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 06:41:57 PM by nincehelser »

Offline giveme5

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2019, 07:05:35 PM »
No.

You paid for all the stuff AcuRite sent you?

I've been doing network and product development for decades.  I just know my stuff.

Somehow you've missed the part about Internet Standards...

DHCP can't enforce anything.  It can always be over-ridden locally.  For example: nsswitch.conf (or equivalent).

Obviously you don't know the difference between DHCP and "Manual Settings" and how they relate to each other. Also, you have to consider the meaning of "Local System Administrator".

AcuRite is NOT local system administrator on my network, therefore Access has to accept my configuration via DHCP or allow manual network configuration via interface or both.

Technically, it is, since it partially or fully overrides network settings.
(Partially overrides DNS server list. Fully overrides NTP server list - there's probably more)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2019, 07:24:51 PM »
No.

You paid for all the stuff AcuRite sent you?

I've been doing network and product development for decades.  I just know my stuff.

Somehow you've missed the part about Internet Standards...

Obviously you don't know the difference between DHCP and "Manual Settings" and how they relate to each other. Also, you have to consider the meaning of "Local System Administrator".

AcuRite is NOT local system administrator on my network, therefore Access has to accept my configuration via DHCP or allow manual network configuration via interface or both.

Technically, it is, since it partially or fully overrides network settings.
(Partially overrides DNS server list. Fully overrides NTP server list - there's probably more)

If you want to enforce what outside name servers are accessed from your network, you need to do that at your firewall.

DHCP is not a network cop.  Nothing is forced to use it.

anything