Author Topic: Cracked Atlas Housing  (Read 1723 times)

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
Cracked Atlas Housing
« on: October 20, 2018, 09:40:56 AM »
When I was removing my original Atlas sensor to send back to AcuRite, I noticed the mounting housing was pretty cracked.

It is mounted on the same pole my 5-1 was. It was tightened enough but do not believe it was overtightened (is that possible?)

I am wondering with such a large opening and with a smaller pole, perhaps more stress is placed on the housing since it looks like the interior cracks are at the bottom.

I am going to use some pipe insulation to see if that helps with the one now...it will have to go back too since it has more issues than the original one.

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Cracked Atlas Housing
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »
What is the blue stuff?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 11:53:13 AM »
What is the blue stuff?

I am guessing it is lube for the bolt.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 11:59:53 AM »
What is the blue stuff?

I am guessing it is lube for the bolt.
Break Fluid.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 02:08:43 PM »
good one!

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 02:16:34 PM »
I went ahead and swapped out the two end pieces. I removed the replacement Atlas sensor they sent me...it has the UV issue (won't report past 2) and the lightning strike issue.

I placed some weatherstripping to make up for the void using the smaller pole and reinstalled my original sensor minus the lightning detector.

This is getting old for a brand new unit!!!!!!!!

I am shipping the replacement one back to AcuRite. My Amazon return date is in a few days. AcuRite support has gone silent with regards to my issues. I will give them a couple more days to get back with me. I should not be the one doing all of the follow-up.

Two!

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 02:50:55 PM »
I'm not too surprised.  One of the first things I noticed during my <24 hr Atlas ownership was the likely stress on that cheap plastic due to the mounting clamp design. I bet more of them will fail after a few years of summer temps/UV exposure.   Their 5N1 had a better mount IMHO.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 04:09:52 PM »
I went ahead and swapped out the two end pieces. I removed the replacement Atlas sensor they sent me...it has the UV issue (won't report past 2) and the lightning strike issue.

I placed some weatherstripping to make up for the void using the smaller pole and reinstalled my original sensor minus the lightning detector.

This is getting old for a brand new unit!!!!!!!!

I am shipping the replacement one back to AcuRite. My Amazon return date is in a few days. AcuRite support has gone silent with regards to my issues. I will give them a couple more days to get back with me. I should not be the one doing all of the follow-up.

Two!

Its a shame that you had two duds..I really wanted to like this unit too...maybe if they ever release the Elite, these problems will be solved..

Offline txbayou

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 06:45:58 PM »
Sorry to read about your continuing hassles with the Atlas!

I had mixed feelings about the adjustable mounting mechanism on the Atlas since it doesn’t have a locking feature, so it seems possible that the tightness of the adjustment could loosen over time. But I’m sure this has been tested thoroughly before sale, correct?

The plastic mount furnished with the Atlas is the same one that comes with the 5/1.  Except that the Atlas is much larger than the 5/1. This means that for certain mounting scenarios, the supplied plastic mount is a 3-4 inches too short. In my situation I had to build up an additional pedestal below the plastic base.

FWIW the mounting bolt did gouge into the plastic mount, but the mount did not crack or degrade, so at least good marks to the plastic for that. But it's too bad that Acurite didn't invest in the additional part# for a taller mount for the Atlas IMO.

That said, the wind extension on a dedicated pole does look like an interesting idea, and I was up for it, but the Atlas I had came with other issues as well and I returned to sender.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 09:05:00 AM »
MacGarage,

It looks like you forcefully over-tightened the torque knob of your atlas. Even the screw end looks like it has been depressed! Way overkill. Probably even bent the mast!

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 09:36:51 AM »
MacGarage,

It looks like you forcefully over-tightened the torque knob of your atlas. Even the screw end looks like it has been depressed! Way overkill. Probably even bent the mast!

There was no sign of the mounting screw been depressed on the pole. I noticed the wind had actually shifted it slightly on the mast some so I suspect it may not of been over tighten.

I think it would be vey hard, if not impossible, to overtighten it with the just the  hand knob.

I am in a very windy area due to being in wide open farm field space so I’m wondering if it loosened up enough and wobbled hence the crack on the bottom showing on the inside.

Perhaps the cracking caused it loosen up enough?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 09:55:39 AM by MacGarage »
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline radioman61

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 09:40:13 AM »
You didn’t put blue locktite on the screw did you?  The fumes from that stuff will damage most plastics.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 09:44:49 AM »
No, that was some type of grease that came out.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline radioman61

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 09:48:08 AM »
Oh boy.  I sure hope Acurite didn’t put an anti seize on the threads that’s attacking the plastic. If they did, we’ll all have the same fate.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 08:44:06 AM »
You didn’t put blue locktite on the screw did you?  The fumes from that stuff will damage most plastics.

I was going to say the same thing. Had a buddy who used locktite on the mounting hardware for his motorcycle plastics. Caused cracking around the mounting areas.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 09:02:32 AM »
Doesn't locktite dry? This was a sticky grease that could be cleaned up with a rag.

I looked at my replacement Atlas and from what I can see, I do not see any type of lubricant or foreign material on the bolt threads.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »
Yes, it will dry and harden.

Interesting. Let us know if you find out what the stuff ends up being.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 05:20:52 PM »
Here are the pics from my mounting bracket disassembly.

No blue goop evident anywhere.

I can't see how it would break that way unless it was misaligned and crushed in a factory jig.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 05:42:58 PM »
Some of the reviews of the Atlas mentioned using car wax. Could it be car wax? Also when some metals oxidize (different type metals in contact with each other) sometimes green or blue oxidation can be seen. Maybe it is a combination of these things, or maybe a clear lubricant that picked up some oxidation.

As for the crushing of the plastic. It seems to me that if maybe the black knob was over tightened without a large enough pole present, then the plate with the screw hole could begin to crush the plastic.

Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 06:47:37 PM »
Some of the reviews of the Atlas mentioned using car wax. Could it be car wax? Also when some metals oxidize (different type metals in contact with each other) sometimes green or blue oxidation can be seen. Maybe it is a combination of these things, or maybe a clear lubricant that picked up some oxidation.

As for the crushing of the plastic. It seems to me that if maybe the black knob was over tightened without a large enough pole present, then the plate with the screw hole could begin to crush the plastic.

The metal plate pushes outward when you tighten the bolt.  However, note the inward cracks on the inner cylinder (2nd photo).

I tightened the knob as hard as I could, but it just isn't going to crack that way.  The only way I can see doing it is with a hammer blow to the bolt to push the plate inward and cause the stem to stern cracking. 

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 07:10:28 PM »

The metal plate pushes outward when you tighten the bolt.  However, note the inward cracks on the inner cylinder (2nd photo).

I tightened the knob as hard as I could, but it just isn't going to crack that way.  The only way I can see doing it is with a hammer blow to the bolt to push the plate inward and cause the stem to stern cracking.

I installed this at dusk and was looking forward to getting it up and running...I did not look it over with a fine-toothed comb...The cracks could have been starting and I just did not notice it.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Victoria

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »
This is... odd, to say the least. Honestly, I've never actually seen that part crack like that before in any of our testing, even in cases where the knob was tightened too much. It's a really durable part (you can pretty much stand on it), so this is rather surprising.

During testing, we even had an Atlas get hit by a falling tree and receive barely any damage (even the wind cups survived!). Though, we didn't build it with that level of heavy attacks from angry foliage in mind, so I wouldn't recommend trying it... but it holds up well regardless.

Furthermore, that mysterious blue goo is not something we recognize at all. I believe you're sending that one back, so we'll look at it here.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 10:57:25 AM »
Victoria,
When you get it, let us know what the blue goo is. It may have weakened the plastic. If we know what it is we can maybe discern where it came from.
Tele-Pole

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 02:07:16 PM »
I seem to remember seeing some other type of plastic virtually explode when I got some, as I remember, pvc/cpvc purple primer on it.  You didn't by any chance build anything out of pvc pipe above or around it?  Except pvc primer wouldn't be greasy, at least not the kind I've used.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 02:28:50 PM »
I noticed I took a few images right after I installed my Atlas (on my old 5-1 pole which is a metal pipe, painted). It looks like the cracks are already there within one day of me installing the Atlas. I installed the Atlas about a day earlier in the evening dusk and could have easily missed the cracks (very quickly installed it). I would guess that perhaps the cracks were already there since they were there within a day of me installing the Atlas.

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

anything