Author Topic: Midland WR-300 setup  (Read 2193 times)

Offline mlail

Midland WR-300 setup
« on: February 20, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »
I got this radio as a gift and when I set it up per the instructions but have run into reception problems.

Problem:
The SAME codes don't trigger the alerts as expected. For my area, I have set the frequency of the nearest tower. About 20 miles as the bird flys at 1000 watts. I configured 2 counties codes so that required that I pick multiple counties. I really don't want all counties because I am in range of at least 10 counties. So when I chose these options and my Same codes, the radio doesn't broadcast the weekly test nor any alerts for my area. Instead the radio says "Check Reception" about every 30 seconds. This implies that my county SAME codes aren't receiving signals. I've confirmed my county codes are correct.

As a side item, I added an external antenna that works on the 164.475 frequency and it still did not help reception. I even connected a VHF HAM antenna that is up at 40' and got the same results. If I put the radio in All Counties mode, it receives the weekly test alert just fine.

Hard part:
OK, here is the hard part, I have another weather alert radio with SAME alerts and it also does not work based in my local county codes so the problem is likely my understanding on the same code use or something else.

Any help is appreciated,
Marshall

Offline mlail

Re: Midland WR-300 setup
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 04:49:42 PM »
Update - After changing the settings from Multiple SAME county codes to single SAME county code and we actually being under a weather watch; I got the first alert. So it implies that my county SAME code is correct, and my understanding is correct. I don't know why it doesn't work with more than one county code but I will continue trying. Maybe any county not in range blocks all SAME alerts.

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:13:01 PM »
Interesting situation as I have 2 of the radios in my house I am interested in what you find out - hoping that you do.  I have 1 radio set to multiple counties and it seems to work like it should.

Please keep us posted on this and good luck.  I'll poke around and see what I can find that may help.

CW3699

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 10:14:54 AM »
I had this radio for several years and got rid of it.  It indicated it had EOM sensing, but never worked right.  Caveat is this:  I owned this radio back in 2011.  The newer versions may well be better.

The two radios I would recommend are in my signature, as I still have those.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

anything