Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-1002 Rain Bucket Screen  (Read 688 times)

Offline JamesO

Ambient Weather WS-1002 Rain Bucket Screen
« on: January 01, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
I recently purchased an Ambient Weather WS-1002 and so far I am very pleased with it. My older LaCrosse system was problematic so I decided to replace it. While my older system had a seperate rain gauge/bucket that was mounted on my deck railing, it was easy for me to check for leaves and clean out. But the newer WS-1002 will be up higher and it will be harder to access and clean out and then re-level and set the compass heading on.

So I did a fair amount of research on debris screens for rain buckets and saw a number of options and ideas, but the very fine screens will be a problem when we have the very heavy rains that cause flash floods and I did not want to have the screen inside or in a convex position where it would collect debris, so I started thinking of other options.

I was going to try an make my own domed screen, but thought about it in more detail, then I decided to try a Spider Strainer that are typically used when cooking with Wok's. Took some measurements and then did some research. Headed over to my local Bed, Bath & Beyond and purchased a Cuisinart CTG-00-AST Spider Strainer For $13 which has a stainless steel mess and I believe a stainless steel support ring (I will find out soon enough if it is not stainless). I used a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel to cut the handle where it connects to the basket.

Could have purchased via Amazon for cheaper, but wanted to put my hands on it to measure and decided it would work so I picked it up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N12QZL2/ref=twister_B01N246E7J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This may be another option, a bit cheaper, however, unclear if cutting the handle off will impact the outer ring integrity.

https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Stainless-Spider-Strainer-Skimmer/dp/B071D8R93Y/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546362147&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=cuisanrt+spider+strainer

The Spider Strainer is almost a perfect fit over the lip of the rain collector. I plan on hot gluing the strainer to the housing so if I need to remove it for cleaning I should be able to remove it easily. If the hot glue has a problem holding up, then I will consider silicon sealer, but I need to see how well the larger mesh strainer does with the Tulip Poplar seeds in my area. I may need to supplement the strainer with some finer, but not too fine stainless screen if I have problems with Tulip Poplar seeds.

Pictures are of the spider strainer installed on the WS-1002 before I put it up on the pole where it will be much more difficult to check on and clean out. I chose to invert the basket so it is hopefully "self cleaning" and will not require much maintenance because I am hopeful that leaves will not settle onto the inverted convex basket. 

Anyway, thought I would share this idea and solution as others may find this useful.

Will update in a few months once I see how well this works for me.

Hopefully my pictures will be approved for viewing soon.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:11:47 AM by JamesO »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Ambient Weather WS-1002 Rain Bucket Screen
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »
Hmmm interesting idea. But I think I would be concerned with erroneous rainfall because of blockage. Rain drops could bounce off and not be collected. Or if windy you could be collecting more rain than normal (rain that would in windy conditions miss collection). So depending on conditions you could be under reporting or over reporting.

The way I've seen other filters (Davis) is that they sit inside the cone.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 09:31:21 AM »
The WH24B definitely needs something.  One of the reasons I replaced mine was because of the requirement to take the whole darn thing apart to do maintenance on the rain collector.

I agree with above concerns, and will add that you may also run into the issue with more than normal dew dripping off the screen into the collector reporting as rain (if you live in a foggy/morning dew location like I do)

Luckily, mine was in a place where leaves/debris getting into it was a rare thing.  Bird droppings were the real issue. Solved that by adding my DIY bird spikes to the collector rim.

But, anything is better than nothing to keep the debris out and limit the need to take the whole thing apart to clean it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:34:07 AM by danoh »
Ambient Weather station CWOP connector: AmbientCWOP.com

Offline railrode1

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 02:09:12 PM »
I used some Aluminum screen, raised slightly in the middle like a dome. Attached in the inner lip with hot glue. After 1 year and four months, see the pic. I used my Spark drone to inspect since it's 35 feet up. Apparently it's doing it's job, or else the hole would be plugged by whatever that black thing is.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:13:10 PM by railrode1 »
Davis Vantage Pro2 + Wireless

Offline JamesO

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 04:40:15 PM »
Not too worried about the screen causing problems with the rain data, do not think it will really be a problem given how coarse the screen is. If there is any impact it will be very marginal. I may need to go with a slightly smaller screen/grid, I have found others after I found this one.

Need to wait and see how well this handles and keeps out the Tulip Poplar seeds.

The drone is a good option to check on a rain bucket that is not easily accessible, only problem is I do not have a drone at the moment!

Guarantee that a screen on the inside would be a problem and I would have far more problems with under reporting due to debris covering/clogging the screen. I had a LaCrosse stand alone rain collector on the deck railing near where this unit is mounted and I had many cases when the gauge was clogged with debris.

A separate rain collector is a far better option, but I guess it runs the price up due to the need for an addition transmitter.

I will take what ever inaccuracy this screen may cause over a clogged rain bucket any day.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:42:27 PM by JamesO »