Author Topic: Using Two Weather Software Programs Simultaneously  (Read 766 times)

Offline Robbie936

Using Two Weather Software Programs Simultaneously
« on: December 20, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »
I use Cumulus V1.9 and Weather link V 6.4 to view my weather information. Both programs get their respective data from my Meteobridge Pro using the same IP address and port number (2222). Is it possible to set them up to use different port numbers so that i can have both pieces of software open at the same time? I find the Meteobridge and the wiki are not that easy to work out.
Thank you
Robbie

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Using Two Weather Software Programs Simultaneously
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 06:44:35 PM »
Pretty well the only way is to run VVP, which is a now unsupported third party program, to allow more than one program to access station's data log stream.  There have been several threads here on the forum about that.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Robbie936

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 07:37:40 PM »
Thank you for your reply Paul. I may just have to continue to run each program independently.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:13:03 PM »
Or you could do what I have done; get a second datalogger :lol:

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 09:22:31 PM »
Pretty well the only way is to run VVP, which is a now unsupported third party program, to allow more than one program to access station's data log stream.  There have been several threads here on the forum about that.

Enjoy,
Paul
I agree

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 04:43:26 PM »
Meteobridge does only support one PC program to hook-up and to use the Davis data logger connected to the Meteobridge.
Two will not work for Davis protocol reasons and even the company that was specialized in VVP gave up on this regarding the latest Davis firmware versions (LOOP2 support to name an instance). Sorry, no way.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline Robbie936

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 05:15:18 PM »
Thank you everyone, at least it wasn't my limited computing skills failing to grasp the situation.
Perhaps one day Davis will update their weatherlink software and it won't look like it was meant for windows for work groups.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 06:43:47 PM »
some have been waiting for years.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 07:18:39 PM »

Enjoy,
Paul

Its unsupported, but free for now.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 08:36:28 AM »
As another possible solution, how about having the Meteobridge or the one connected PC software saves the data to an SQL database. Then a second program can use this SQL database as its source. If this works there is no reason that then there couldn't be a third or more weather programs that simultaneously access this SQL database. The only requirement is for these additional weather software programs to have the capability to access an SQL database as their source data. Does anyone know if the usual suspects can do this? You know WeeWx, Weather-Display, etc.  If this is not possible then I'm sure it could be a change request that could be done to those software developers.

Which leads me to another thought. Just like you can have any number software programs open a jpg file or an mp4 file because there is a standard, there should be a standard for weather databases. Then easily several weather software programs could access each other's data. Or you could easily switch programs without cumbersome data export and importing. We need a weather database standard.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 08:44:27 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 10:23:15 AM »
Like Andrew Tannenbaum used to say:  "The beauty of standards is that you som many from which to choose!"  :)  Seriously, we have had discussions about this topic on this forum.  There are a few "standards" out there but unless someone like WMO moves to homologate it and get all the certs like ISO etc. it will go nowhere in terms of standardization.  And even then, it would likely be overkill for most weather enthusiasts.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 02:10:33 PM »
As another possible solution, how about having the Meteobridge or the one connected PC software saves the data to an SQL database.

Another snag here is whether or not you want the connected programs to have access to live data (which is what VVP allows). Live data means data updates every 2-3 seconds and do you really want eg Davis LOOP/LOOP2 data dumped into an SQL database at that relatively extreme frequency and consequently with a huge amount of redundancy in the data? Database size would grow quite quickly - I'm sure that modern PC databases could cope, but less sure that it's a sensible idea.

What tends to be more common is that users prefer one program for live data and another for reviewing/analysing historic data, which is a less demanding scenario. There still has to be a way of feeding data into the historic program, which is still not necessarily easy though there are compromises in fairly common use.

Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.