Author Topic: Maplins N23 DQ (WS1001 clone) problem  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
Maplins N23 DQ (WS1001 clone) problem
« on: July 29, 2018, 07:42:19 AM »
Not sure if this belongs in the 'WS 1001 failures' thread but as I'm not sure if it is terminal here goes!

At 10.54 am this morning my (WS1001 clone) gave up the ghost.  It looks like the bluetooth connection to the roof has been lost.  The internal sensors are still working but all of the things sent by the station on the roof are just a row of dashes.

A few days ago I had physical problem with the anemometer which was reading low.  I could feel a 3 mph ish wind but it wasn't moving.  It would register higher windspeeds.  When I got up on the roof you could blow on it and it would spin freely but as it stopped you could see that it was stopping with a very slight bump.  I lubed up the bearings with some PTFE spray I had and it was fine.  In dismantling for this job the central spindle dropped down inside the unit!  So then I had to take the station down and turn it upside down to retrieve the spindle.  Anyway all back together and working perfectly for a few days until this.

I have rebooted the console to no avail and (foolishly) set it back to factory settings so now I am going to have to re-register it and lose past data (probably a good thing as some of it wasn't very good!)

Has anyone else had anything like this?  I know how to reset the roof station so I will start with that when the rain stops.  I can't think that I have done anything to it but perhaps it didn't like being turned upside down! 

I forgot to say the rain gauge suddenly stopped registering yesterday having worked since I fixed the anemometer but at that point everything else was fine. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Maplins N23 DQ (WS1001 clone) problem
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 08:49:18 AM »
I recommend you read some of the other threads that talk about WS-1001 failures for more information.

Basically it seems to not be a reliable device after a few years. How long have you had yours?

Yes do the reset button on the outdoor array. Hold it down for 5 seconds with the batteries removed (EDIT - while covering the solar array from light).

Some other  things you can try is replacing the batteries. You can also try using Lithium nonrechargable batteries and ignore the solar charging as the solar charging seems to be one of the problems with this model. If you are handy maybe you can attempt getting a replacement solar panel. But at what cost? Maybe it is better to replace the whole system as these systems were not really designed to be serviceable. In the US the WS-1001 outdoor array can be completely replaced with a newer model for $81 plus shipping. But Maplin seems to be out of business in your case.

If you still can't get data on the console I would recommend a new replacement with one of these (since you are in the UK).
Froggit WH3000
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Profi-weather-station-Froggit-WH3000/dp/B06X6JPJ6Q/
Misol WH2900
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MISOL-Wireless-weathercloud-wunderground-weatherbug/dp/B07DKZSF6D/

Those are basically clones of Ambient Weather WS-2902A. Which is itself a clone of Fine Offset WH2900. Seems to be the more popular choice recently. That is what I have now. Much improvement to the outdoor array. It is also cheaper to replace the outdoor array on the WS-2902A at just $37 plus shipping. But maybe you want to contact Froggit or Misol and see if they sell replacement outdoor arrays.

Or you can take the opportunity to upgrade to a Davis VP2.

FYI - The outdoor array does not communicate via Bluetooth. It communicates via 433 MHz RF which is a one way radio signal like low powered radio station up to 300 feet. Bluetooth is a two way communications protocol that operates at 2.4 GHz at much shorter range like 10 to 50 feet. The WS-1001 communicates at 915 MHz RF.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:46:14 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »
Thanks for that.  :-) Fixed for now.. Before reading your post I took the unit down.  I had wondered if I there had been a blockage in the rain gauge and me turning it upside down had soaked the electrics but I took it apart and found it perfect.

I have had the station for just over a year but the batteries were marked 2014!  One of them behaves strangely on the volt meter, bouncing around all over the place.  Still I did the reset and put them back as a test and all is well.  So I guess I need some new batteries.  I think the solar array must be still working on mine so I think I will replace like for like this time. 

Thanks for the info about the RF link.  :grin:  I did read about that before but I wasn't really clear about it.  I do know that my clone uses a different frequency and this is why I can't use Ambient instead of Wunderground software to display data online.

Just for others info (and since someone asked on your thread) the reset button is at the bottom of the unit next to the red LED.  On my UK instructions it said to cover the solar array as well as removing the batteries.  Here's a pic.

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »
Just looked at your links and they look like good possibilities if I can't keep this one going.  =D>   

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 04:25:53 PM »
Back up on the roof and still working.  :grin:  I haven't reconnected to wunderground since I stupidly reset the console to factory settings. #-o and lost everything.  Does anyone know if it possible to keep my old wunderground account going with a 'new' station?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »
Does anyone know if it possible to keep my old wunderground account going with a 'new' station?

Yes, just have to edit your station hardware type under that Station ID in WU. Then you give the existing Station ID and Password Key to the new weather station device to become the new device to send data to WU under that existing ID. But make sure you take your old station offline or both of them will continue to send data into the same Station ID and mess things up.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:48:14 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »
Thanks!  All working again now.  :grin:  For how long though is anyone's guess..

anything