Author Topic: Gave up on WeatherLink and now we're on Cumulus. Question on custom reports.  (Read 2130 times)

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
Hi again,

So our hardware setup is the following:

Davis Vantage Pro 2 Cabled with the solar sensors, day aspirated fan, and the IP logger. We're using a virtual desktop for the software location and it is on all the time.

Based on my reading here that the cable may be prone to disturbance, we also replaced the cable between the ISS and Console with one that is much more robust. Since then, we ran Weatherlink for logging and generating a local htm that we then push out to public (nothing setup via ftp or wu or cwop).

Since then the database have had some hic-ups and while we managed to solve it, it was not acceptable. We wanted to run VVP but our IT department would not have it. We finally took the jump and are now running Cumulus, with custom csv generated for our logging purposes.

Questions:

1. Can we create an appending webtag processor for the day using the realtime interval?
I've utilized the webtags to generate a custom report out, but it is not a logger, it simply replace the values. I've looked at realtime.txt and the daily and alltime, but those are not the tags we wanted, and there are no headers for them. Optimally, I want Cumulus to generate the custom report I've specified (with headers) and log it, appends to it everytime there's a new data at specified time frame, then when the day is over, backs it up in the same way it does to the other txt files.

We currently have 49 tags that we care about, and that number may change at anytime. The reason why we need headers is that we want to feed the csv generated to a database, and it utilizes the header to identify what to put where.

2. Is there an issue if I put the davis logger interval at 15 minutes, and Cumulus at 1 minute? I can see varying time interval if I close cumulus for 15 mins or longer, then it'll attempt to backfill data using the logger, and thus having an oddly spaced graph. Besides that, anything more crucial that I'm missing?

I understand that there are a lot of rage with the Davis IP logger, and if I was to redo the station, I'd definitely have gone to the serial one. Still, I have to live with it for now. I've heard from the local NWS guys that on a few of their sites, they simply skip the davis console altogether and utilize a 3rd party controller/logger. If this keeps failing I may have to search for something like that as well.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
You may get better help in Scripting section http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=87.0 of forum on this. Ken who offers the Saratoga website templates or others familiar with cumulus scripts and tags may also offer help.
Randy

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
    • Silver Acorn Weather - N.Z.
sho23,
This sort of question would be best asked on the Cumulus Forum where you do not appear to be a member - well not as sho23.

There are a few ways to achieve what you want - if I understand your question properly. However others on http://sandaysoft.com/forum would be better placed than me to provide the answers.

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
Hmmmm. Okay i'll give that a try soon.

Thank you much!

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
Response from Steve just as fyi, in case other people uses the search function for similar issue

There isn't a facility in Cumulus for creating a custom log file, just custom 'snapshot' files. So you would have to write something yourself to do the appending - or perhaps adapt one of the existing third-party scripts (have a search on the forum and/or wiki for 'realtime log', for example).

Cumulus MX has a facility for updating a MySQL database of your own format each time it writes a log file entry. That may or may not be of any use to you.

The problem you will hit if you set the Davis logger to 15 minutes and Cumulus to 1 minute, is the one described the FAQ - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#Cumulus_takes_a_long_time_to_download_the_data_from_my_Davis_station_at_start_up

anything