Author Topic: Access Connection Issues  (Read 30162 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Access Connection Issues
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2018, 11:37:15 AM »
The last I heard some changes were made on the myAcurite server side. 

It makes sense as many of the problems seemed to be myAcurite centric.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2018, 01:24:49 PM »
I'm now getting an occasional issue with reconnecting after an outtage.

Hi Glenn, I'd like to look into this a little more. Would you be alright with sending me a private message with your Device ID?

Offline snow755

« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2018, 06:14:15 PM »
got my  acuRite acces  today     wish way  do i need too  put  the battery when i install them ?

and so far i had not has any  issues  with my  acuRite acces

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2018, 06:22:06 PM »
got my  acuRite acces  today     wish way  do i need too  put  the battery when i install them ?

and so far i had not has any  issues  with my  acuRite acces

This photo should help:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline snow755

« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2018, 06:52:39 PM »
thanks nincehelser that helped

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »
Thanks!  Just checked and that's what version mine is at.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline yukit

« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »
My Access lost connection to MyAcurite & wunderground after I soft-rebooted my home router last night. It stayed disconnected for at least 18 hours until I unplugged, then plugged in the USB power cable to the Access unit.

I also have a SmartHub next to the Access both connected to a 5-in-1 station. The SmartHub always reconnects back to the network.

I had the Access stay disconnected a few times in the past, usually after a router firmware update or hard reset to reboot the router. It is annoying the Access is unable to recover & reconnect on its own despite the battery backup.

BTW, I have my Access reporting to MyAcurite & wunderground, but I don't depend on the Access since it is unable to report to CWOP or PWS. I am using the SmartHub with Meteobridge to report the 5-in-1 station data to CWOP & PWS so my Rachio irrigation controller can monitor the weather data input.

I will have to switch to another weather station once SmartHub is EOL next year unless Access is allowed to send its data to 3rd-party to be supported by Meteobridge or directly by CWOP. I have no incentive to get Atlas until Access can send the data to CWOP.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2018, 07:26:19 AM »
Yukit,
You have a few other options...

- Upgrade your irrigation controller to new 3rd generation Rachio that does use Weather Underground.
Or
- Upgrade your irrigation controller to Hunter Hydrawise that does use Weather Underground. (what I use)

Then you can upgrade to the Atlas 7/8 if you want. Or just keep the 5-in-1.

On the other hand if you want to keep your existing irrigation controller that requires CWOP or PWSweather then you could get an Ambient Weather station that would easily integrate with your Meteobridge. Like a WS-2000 with an ObserverIP, WS-2902A with an ObserverIP, or just a simple WS-1550-IP that has no display and instead just an ObserverIP.

But like you said you have some time yet to see what happens.

EDIT: Everything below this point is not a working solution. See follow up posts for corrections.

In the mean time you could have the Meteobridge trigger a power cycle of the Access. I've done this as I have the Meteobridge do this any time the Meteobridge stops receiving data from my ObserverIP. It works like this...

Meteobridge sends email out alerting it lost live data. Email is then forwarded to an SMS message. My phone receives SMS alert of loss of Live Data. Then IFTTT gets triggered by alert SMS and it then sends out a power cycle of my SmartThings power outlet where the ObserverIP is connected. Works every time.

I did a whole write up on how to do all this in the following post:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34948.msg357305#msg357305
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:45:53 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2018, 08:06:49 AM »
I guess I was still waking up when I wrote the previous post. Forget the Meteobridge resetting the Access. The Meteobridge is getting data from the SmartHub and that is not loosing data. So the Meteobridge never lost Live Data. So the power cycle that needs to happen is with the Access.  But the problem is the Meteobridge can't help you find out when the Access has lost connectivity. I guess I need my coffee.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:01:28 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2018, 08:37:09 AM »
Okay here is similar solution for the Access not being connected. Rather than going 18 hours without finding out that you've lost connectivity you can limit it to just 2 hours and the process can be automated.

Weather Underground has a notification email setting where it will send you an email if you lost connectivity for 2 hours. Just go to the bottom of your WU Station settings and you'll see the two check boxes for notification. The top check box is the relevant one here.

Now you can set your email system to filter (or rules wizard) those notifications and forward them to your phone as an SMS message as every cellular provider has an email to SMS gateway, so use the gateway address for your cellular provider. Then IFTTT gets the SMS and triggers the automated power cycle of your smart power outlet (SmartThings, Wink, Weemo, Caseta, MyQ... etc), where your Access is plugged in. The reason for forwarding email to SMS is because IFTTT reacts to SMS a whole lot quicker than email.

To do a power cycle with IFTTT requires two rules. First rule is the trigger to power off the device. The second rule is to check if a device has been powered off and to always turn it back on.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:07:12 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline yukit

« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2018, 06:39:01 PM »
You have a few other options...

galfert, thanks for the detailed response.

I have thought about some power cycle options with Access, but it is not my priority right now.
I am hoping there will be a firmware update for Access to fix the network connection issue.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »
I'm now getting an occasional issue with reconnecting after an outtage.

Hi Glenn, I'd like to look into this a little more. Would you be alright with sending me a private message with your Device ID?

Hi Victoria,
Sorry I missed this! I haven't been on in a few days.

Most certainly. I have two Access currently.

Thanks,
Glenn
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline au-ajax

« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2018, 04:05:40 PM »
I've had my Access installed for 3-4 months without issue and in what is totally in my mind a coincidence, I ran across this thread a couple of weeks ago looking for some other information about the Acurite Access and a few days later, I started losing signal between the Access and my 5-in-1.

I have two Temp/Humidity sensors installed in my garage attic and the second floor attic. The second floor attic sensor is maybe 20-25 feet from the eve where the 5-in-1 is installed. The Temp/Humidity sensors have not lost connection to the Access, but now I'm losing connection with the 5-in-1 almost every day. First thing I did was change the batteries in the 5-in-1 but it still loses connection... Aside from it happening once overnight, for the most part the only (mostly) common thread I've found is that the sun comes up. But no, I don't think the Sun is causing the problem. So far, it seems to come back on its own, but I did have to force it once or twice by powering off the access and removing the batteries. My firmware version on the Access is 47. To top things off, I've emailed Chaney instruments support twice and still haven't gotten a response after more than a week since I sent the first email.

At this point, I'm about to go back to my SmartHub and sniff the traffic with a Raspberry Pi and the scripts I found from nincehelser a couple of years ago (THANKS by the way! I had great fun building that pi and playing with the configs, scripts, etc.)  I'd be happy to keep using the Access but I don't know that its "there yet". And just when I was getting over what felt like forced obsolescence of the SmartHub...   

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2018, 06:32:02 PM »
If this problem just started as you say your Access is not at fault( your Temp/Humidity sensors working fine) something is going on with your 5n1 maybe some new interference?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline au-ajax

« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2018, 08:12:44 PM »
Generally speaking, I agree with you. One thing to note though is that I replaced my 5-in-1 station less than a year ago. The old 5-in-1 kept reporting the same temperature (something like 50 degrees) without increase or decrease. Its been long enough I don't remember the exact details but it was a model where I didn't have an option to replace parts other than to just replace the whole thing. If I have to replace the station again, then I'm inclined to not go the Acurite route. However, for my current station, when it does stay connected to the access, it appears to be accurate.  I'm about to move my Access to the room closest to the 5-in-1 station and see if it keeps dropping. Something changed. I'm just not sure what.

Offline au-ajax

« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2018, 04:59:43 PM »
Moving the Access upstairs, just on the other side of the outside wall from the 5-in-1 station seems to have stopped the dropping of signal from the 5-in-1  Still, I'm wondering what changed all of sudden that caused the daily dropouts to start. I'm definitely inclined to believe it's the 5-in-1 at fault. That said, are there conditions that anyone is aware of that would reduce the reliability of the transmitter antenna in the 5-in-1?  Would any Zwave devices (like Hue Bulbs, Lutron switches, etc.) cause interference?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2018, 05:30:22 PM »
Moving the Access upstairs, just on the other side of the outside wall from the 5-in-1 station seems to have stopped the dropping of signal from the 5-in-1  Still, I'm wondering what changed all of sudden that caused the daily dropouts to start. I'm definitely inclined to believe it's the 5-in-1 at fault. That said, are there conditions that anyone is aware of that would reduce the reliability of the transmitter antenna in the 5-in-1?  Would any Zwave devices (like Hue Bulbs, Lutron switches, etc.) cause interference?
It's possible.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2018, 08:45:40 AM »
Had an outage in VT yesterday around noon. Thankfully, I get text updates from the power company up there. Power was back within an hour or so. All my devices came online...except the Access. I gave it a few hours then rebooted the router remotely. I'd say that was 4-6 hours after the power came online. Didn't help the Access. Looking at my WU graphs from yesterday, the Access did come back online around 10PM and has been chugging along since.

I still have my SmartHub hooked up and that came back online after the power outage and router reboot.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DrewShock

« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2018, 12:37:22 AM »
Anyone figure out why the Access shuts down for hours? Mine struggled with my far 5 in 1 (60ft away) until I added a super long antenna. That helped that sensor but my Access still goes offline for no reason I can tell. The lights are all normal and the router shows it's connected but can't get the splash page to show up and yes I have the right ip address.
Note: I have a smartHUB connected also to the same three sensors and it does not have this issue.

Acurite contacted me asking about my issue but have yet to respond to my email. Did those of us with issues just get bad devices? I have two and they both have this issue. Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 12:42:18 AM by DrewShock »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2018, 02:15:58 AM »
Anyone figure out why the Access shuts down for hours? Mine struggled with my far 5 in 1 (60ft away) until I added a super long antenna. That helped that sensor but my Access still goes offline for no reason I can tell. The lights are all normal and the router shows it's connected but can't get the splash page to show up and yes I have the right ip address.
Note: I have a smartHUB connected also to the same three sensors and it does not have this issue.

Acurite contacted me asking about my issue but have yet to respond to my email. Did those of us with issues just get bad devices? I have two and they both have this issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

If you're not getting a splash page, then something is seriously wrong.

I've never heard of anyone having such a problem unless they have a wiring or network issue.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2018, 08:07:47 AM »
Drewshock,

Is the device you are trying to use (PC?) connected to your wireless network? If not, you will get the "page cannot be displayed" screen... If that is good, maybe you have a firewall issue?

Offline DrewShock

« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2018, 07:17:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies. My Access will be working fine and then a power outage (usually a quick one of less than 6 seconds) will happen and it will no longer update (smartHUB still does). The last time this happened the lights were normal but I got no splash page. Router shows it's connected. Usually I disconnect the Ethernet and re-plug it and it starts back up. Sometime I have to remove the power and remove the batteries also. This last time I decided not to do anything and see what happens. It came back online 6 hours later and of course the splash page was back. It did not back fill the data on MyAcurite even with fresh Duracell batteries it.

As for how it's wired, it's just plugged into one of my Ethernet ports on my router.

Acurite finally emailed me back. They want me to send the unit in so they can look at it. Unfortunately, I have two Accesses both with the same issue in two different locations. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:21:39 PM by DrewShock »

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2018, 03:34:37 PM »
I had my first long-term power outage with my Accesses (two). My power was out for about ten hours.

Despite having batteries installed, I had to manually restart each Access to get them back on online. I waited close to an hour. The splash screen showed up for one (blue light) but not the other (red light).

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #173 on: November 26, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »
These issues are similar to what I experience after a power outage. Sometimes it will come online...other times it will take 8+ hours to do so.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #174 on: November 26, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »
I should also add that I had to reset up my Atlas panel with regards to time and date. Really wish there was a battery back-up for the panel!

My Fine Offset clone came back online quickly and without any effort by me...the panel also came up properly but it has a battery back-up.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:02:41 AM by MacGarage »
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

anything