Author Topic: Bresser weather station (any advice)  (Read 2477 times)

Offline alexe8154

Bresser weather station (any advice)
« on: December 23, 2020, 06:10:51 AM »
Hi i am new to this weather station stuff i have brought a bresser 5 in 1 i have mounted it on a 10 foot pole. I am a little confused would i need to get planning permission on this in the UK. As it's currently mounted on my back garden wall see picture.

Any advice would be great thank you.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Re: Bresser weather station (any advice)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 08:29:37 PM »
I believe so as its right on the boundary, you could stick with my philosophy,
"asking for forgiveness beats asking for permission" tis cheaper anyhoo lol.
I think that after its been up for X amount of years it becomes less of a permissions issue, that could be wishful thinking though.

I have mine on a 8inch sunk, 10m telescopic mast attached to my summerhouse veranda (not permanent) using 9x wire guy lines, those are a permanent fixture to the 4x4 fence posts (lower down so no give). I didnt ask for planning,  its far too expensive for what it is anyway, its been up since end of Feb 2016, nearly 5 years. Luckily i had the blessings from the neighbours....
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 12:27:24 AM »
For issues like that on our side of the pond it is typically:

If it cannot reach outside the bounds of your property should the whole thing topple, no permit required.

Offline alexe8154

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 02:18:47 AM »
I believe so as its right on the boundary, you could stick with my philosophy,
"asking for forgiveness beats asking for permission" tis cheaper anyhoo lol.
I think that after its been up for X amount of years it becomes less of a permissions issue, that could be wishful thinking though.

I have mine on a 8inch sunk, 10m telescopic mast attached to my summerhouse veranda (not permanent) using 9x wire guy lines, those are a permanent fixture to the 4x4 fence posts (lower down so no give). I didnt ask for planning,  its far too expensive for what it is anyway, its been up since end of Feb 2016, nearly 5 years. Luckily i had the blessings from the neighbours....

Ah Crumbs... I am not sure what to do then weather to take it down and re plan... I have read up to 3 metres requires no planning for Ariel's which is what i thought it would come under. I have had no complaints so far from neighbours but i thought i would ask on here as i know there is a lot of red tape regarding this stuff. I have also read you can have a flag pole without planning up to 4.6 metres without planning. So does seem very confusing as this is in my back garden attached to the back wall away from public roads or public path ment i thought i could get away with it.  ](*,)

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 02:58:13 PM »
Hi i am new to this weather station stuff i have brought a bresser 5 in 1 i have mounted it on a 10 foot pole. I am a little confused would i need to get planning permission on this in the UK. As it's currently mounted on my back garden wall see picture.

Like others I checked with my neighbours first, my anemometer is at 20 feet on a pole mast

Weather vanes are permitted development and do not require planning permission....you seem to have mounted a weather vane (and other stuff!)

Offline alexe8154

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 04:36:43 AM »
Thanks for your reply yes a bresser 5-1 is a complete weather station requiring you to mount it all together. So simply there is no other way however as of the 6th nobody has complained so will leave it up until such time i am told otherwise.

Offline weatherman96

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 08:47:52 AM »
I have also got a bresser 5 in 1 and mounted at the end of my yard, near my back gate. Roughly 1.6-1.8 meteres off the ground, this is mounted on a piece of wood as the top of my wall is curved due to the style of the wall, I am debating whether to put another piece of wood on top of that and re mount it to give it that little extra height.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 09:00:02 AM by weatherman96 »

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 10:31:36 PM »

Like others I checked with my neighbours first, my anemometer is at 20 feet on a pole mast

Weather vanes are permitted development and do not require planning permission....you seem to have mounted a weather vane (and other stuff!)

Sorry for the late reply, i missed it :/

There is a boundary law, that you cannot build within, i think 2m of the boundary, and whatever is erected, if fell, it cannot land on the neighbour's property.

Been through this with the council, these are not classed as weather vanes, they are anemometers (weather stations) and as there is no classification for these then they do need permission.

Thats the law as i understand it as i looked into it myself without dropping my name lol i myself went ahead and slapped up my 10m mast and prayed i wouldn't have a visit from enforcement, and luckily no one has been yet, touch wood, but i also believe that there is a 4-year clause, i.e. if something has been erected for 4 or more years....

THE 4 YEAR RULE' applies to building, engineering or other works which have taken place without the benefit of planning permission, and that have remained unchallenged by enforcement action for 4 years or more. In this context one has undertaken operational development or physical works.

Whilst mine is erected and has been over the 4 years, mine isn't a permanent structure either, namely, i can remove the guys, lower the mast, remove or cut the bindings to the summerhouse veranda, pull it up from the ground (less that a foot and not created in) and its gone, i don't know if that has any bearing on planning, once i found out that i would need to apply, I stopped asking questions and put it up anyway, better to ask forgiveness and better to not kick sleeping dogs an all that lol
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 04:28:38 AM »

Sorry for the late reply, i missed it :/

There is a boundary law, that you cannot build within, i think 2m of the boundary, and whatever is erected, if fell, it cannot land on the neighbour's property.

Been through this with the council, these are not classed as weather vanes, they are anemometers (weather stations) and as there is no classification for these then they do need permission.

Thats the law as i understand it as i looked into it myself without dropping my name lol i myself went ahead and slapped up my 10m mast and prayed i wouldn't have a visit from enforcement, and luckily no one has been yet, touch wood, but i also believe that there is a 4-year clause, i.e. if something has been erected for 4 or more years....

THE 4 YEAR RULE' applies to building, engineering or other works which have taken place without the benefit of planning permission, and that have remained unchallenged by enforcement action for 4 years or more. In this context one has undertaken operational development or physical works.

Whilst mine is erected and has been over the 4 years, mine isn't a permanent structure either, namely, i can remove the guys, lower the mast, remove or cut the bindings to the summerhouse veranda, pull it up from the ground (less that a foot and not created in) and its gone, i don't know if that has any bearing on planning, once i found out that i would need to apply, I stopped asking questions and put it up anyway, better to ask forgiveness and better to not kick sleeping dogs an all that lol

I think the key point is that it is temporary, plus the only people likely to complain are my neighbours and they are ok with it

Been up a year now, no issues

Offline weatherman96

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 01:59:03 PM »
Can I ask how do you go about changing the batteries when the station is on that pole has it got a lower mechanism that lowers it down?

anything