Author Topic: High cpu usage WDCAPTURE  (Read 1127 times)

Offline meteosanjuan

• Meteosanjuan
High cpu usage WDCAPTURE
« on: December 15, 2023, 07:37:40 AM »
I have recently added 2 cameras with 2K resolution to my meteorological observatory. Both capture an image every 4 minutes that they upload to the server where my website is hosted

https://www.meteosanjuan.com/

The computer that handles the issue is an Intel NUC with a fourth generation I5 processor but I see that it can no longer, it has fallen short, since WDCAPTURE eats more than 50% of the CPU resources, leaving the computer almost without response for other software. I have one of the cameras configured in the IP section and the other in #webcam and the link to the video is the one proposed. Is there a way to limit WDCAPTURE resources?

Thank you so much
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 07:41:30 AM by meteosanjuan »

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
Re: High cpu usage WDCAPTURE
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 08:16:38 AM »
Can you decrease the number of frames per second that the cameras produce? I sample at 1 fps and upload an image every 1 minute - but not with WD, I have to say.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 08:21:25 AM by Vasco »
Ecowitt GW1102 (with GW2000) + Weather Display in Windows 10

Offline meteosanjuan

• Meteosanjuan
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 12:55:32 PM »
I apologize if I don't express myself correctly, as I am using Google Translate.

Yes, both cameras are Reolink RCL510A and they are running at 30 fps. I must admit that what you're telling me is probably quite effective, but it would be a shame when I want to watch the video remotely. Thanks for the idea, I'll have to consider it since at the moment I don't feel like investing in a new PC.

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 01:52:48 PM »
I apologize if I don't express myself correctly, as I am using Google Translate.

No need to apologise, the English is probably better than mine  :-)

Yes, both cameras are Reolink RCL510A and they are running at 30 fps. I must admit that what you're telling me is probably quite effective

I think the settings are way too high for a weather webcam, even for video. You could experiment with settings and see how much the CPU usage changes. You may be surprised how low you can get before you notice the difference.

My settings are shown below, the uploaded file is only 30 KB. You can see the result on my Saratoga template under Live Pages > Webcam. (I would have posted an example but it's dark now  :grin: )
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 02:10:39 PM by Vasco »
Ecowitt GW1102 (with GW2000) + Weather Display in Windows 10

Offline meteosanjuan

• Meteosanjuan
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 04:17:21 AM »
The truth is that WDCAPTURE has that option that you mention to reduce the frames, so that you do not have to touch the camera settings, but despite checking them I do not see that the CPU usage is reduced. Maybe I'm not using them properly. I will continue doing tests.

Thank you very much for your help. [tup]

** I edit the answer:

In the end, by lowering the frames to 5 in the options that I highlight, I have significantly reduced CPU usage  [tup]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 04:13:14 PM by meteosanjuan »