Author Topic: Acurite Wireless Signal Strength FIX!!!  (Read 20408 times)

Offline daman

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite Wireless Signal Strength FIX!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 10:22:25 AM »
Thanks for your update [tup] they could have improved the antenna on these units for sure I always had a issue with the old hub but with the new access that is no longer a problem always full signal, so I believe there is a antenna issue with both TX and RX.

Bottom line they need better antennas on these units if there limited to a certain power out put.

KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Theo

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 12:08:26 PM »
Hmmmm, I wonder if there is a similar mod for the Atlas?  My Atlas signal is terrible (worse than the 5n1 ever was) and I have to have the console 20' closer to the outside unit than I would like.  Since the console is terrible and does not connect to the internet or interact with the Access unit, I am mostly stuck with an old iPad in the area I used to keep the 5n1 console.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 12:56:24 PM »
The antenna on the Atlas is covered by plastic internally and is difficult to get to.

Honestly, this isn't such a great mod.  I really haven't heard of anyone needing to do this in the past 5 years.

Might as well straighten all the helical antennas because radio engineers obviously don't know what they're doing.

:roll:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 01:24:56 PM »
The antenna on the Atlas is covered by plastic internally and is difficult to get to.

Honestly, this isn't such a great mod.  I really haven't heard of anyone needing to do this in the past 5 years.

Might as well straighten all the helical antennas because radio engineers obviously don't know what they're doing.

How can you actually type this when you are reading it right here how bad the signal is?

NObody is saying they think straightening an antenna is the right direction to take on this. The fact is, the signals suck bad. I said when I was testing Atlas that I was losing signal on the display. The Access I had no issue at all. I think the straight antennas are part of if not all of the issue.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2020, 03:08:05 PM »

How can you actually type this when you are reading it right here how bad the signal is?

NObody is saying they think straightening an antenna is the right direction to take on this. The fact is, the signals suck bad. I said when I was testing Atlas that I was losing signal on the display. The Access I had no issue at all. I think the straight antennas are part of if not all of the issue.

I can't say there are any real problem with the signals.  I've been able to pick the up just fine with different sorts of radio gear.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2020, 12:20:02 PM »
So I made a 433 mhz antenna and coiled it 16 times like the instructions say below. I ran the antenna through the corner of the display below that was strung along the top of the console. I extended the wire with the antenna I made. It really does work now. I no longer am getting drop outs on the display. The antennas that are just run along the top of the inside of the display just don't have any gain at all.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01022M-Lightning-Temperature-Detection/dp/B01MEFGGMF/ref=pd_rhf_gw_s_vtp_ses_clicks_nonshared_0_5?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MEFGGMF&pd_rd_r=F809ZZ53SX651V938AYB&pd_rd_w=59hkZ&pd_rd_wg=0bl5i&pf_rd_p=af51e21a-6deb-41cf-854d-4e8f96d7bd8e&pf_rd_r=F809ZZ53SX651V938AYB&pf_rd_r=F809ZZ53SX651V938AYB&pf_rd_s=recent-history-footer&pf_rd_t=gateway&psc=1&refRID=F809ZZ53SX651V938AYB

https://www.instructables.com/id/433-MHz-Coil-loaded-antenna/

Offline pursuit1980

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 10:35:20 AM »
So I made a 433 mhz antenna and coiled it 16 times like the instructions say below. I ran the antenna through the corner of the display below that was strung along the top of the console. I extended the wire with the antenna I made. It really does work now. I no longer am getting drop outs on the display. The antennas that are just run along the top of the inside of the display just don't have any gain at all.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01022M-Lightning-Temperature-Detection/dp/B01MEFGGMF/ref=pd_rhf_gw_s_vtp_ses_clicks_nonshared_0_5?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MEFGGMF&pd_rd_r=F809ZZ53SX651V938AYB&pd_rd_w=59hkZ&pd_rd_wg=0bl5i&pf_rd_p=af51e21a-6deb-41cf-854d-4e8f96d7bd8e&pf_rd_r=F809ZZ53SX651V938AYB&pf_rd_r=F809ZZ53SX651V938AYB&pf_rd_s=recent-history-footer&pf_rd_t=gateway&psc=1&refRID=F809ZZ53SX651V938AYB

https://www.instructables.com/id/433-MHz-Coil-loaded-antenna/

Great result mate! Well done for trying something and having it work, just like I did!
 [tup]

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 11:09:32 AM »
I also made one for my 01536 RX color PC connect display console. I ran the wire out of the mounting hole in the back. It is working great now with a constant 4 bars. Before it would lose a bar every minute or so.

Offline simplegreen

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2020, 01:00:36 PM »
Pursuit... just want to say thank you for your post AND your follow up over the years.  I've had exactly the same problem. I even went as far as building a custom WeeWx raspberryPi to power my Acurite base station and moving it to the nearest window to the outdoor unit. Completely eliminating the PC... STILL had the same problem.

I followed Pursuits directions and got EXACTLY the same behavior. 100% signal and i've moved the base station away from the window and in a location further away and more convenient location.

My only issue is that the solder joint holding the spring on is pretty strong, but the spring metal is weak. So as i tried to wrap my wire around the spring (too hard) i broke it from the solder joint.  I could feel i was getting to the edge as i was wrapping but i went for it.

Luckily for me, i know how to solder. So i had the spring in my hand at this point and the wire in the other. I wrapped it well, threaded the wire out the drain holes then re-soldered the spring back on. Put it back together and i haven't had a single signal drop yet. And i would get 10-15 drops EVERY DAY!.

This works and works well. Thanks again.

U P D A T E !  - 2020!

Morning everyone,

Well its now February 2020, almost 5 years since my original post.

I now live in the other side of the country, in a completely different house, material and population housing density, much more signal interference from homes with wifi etc...

So, lets re-hash a bit. Since moving across the country in 2018, I hadn't bothered to set up my Acurite weather station, and it remained packed up in its original box until yesterday, 10th February 2020.

The original cable I attached for the antenna gain was removed on packup, and had since been thrown out or misplaced, so I simply thought it may have just been an issue with the old house etc. Therefore, I would take onboard all of the technical advice from the original thread above and simply re-install the weatherstation in its original form and give it a go, the way it was designed.

Only to experience the EXACT SAME SIGNAL ISSUE!

I tried switching channels, A,B,C, all connected as they should, but all lost signal within a minute or two, JUST as they had done 5 years ago.

So, once again, into my shed to locate a spool of 4mm electrical wire, nothing special, just copper core with black plastic coating, normally used in auto-electrical work, 12v upto 10amp situation.

I took the unit down, unscrewed everything, to find that amazing little spring they use for the antenna, and just as before, I inserted a stripped end of the wire down inside of the spring, and ran the remaining few metres of wire out through one of the drain holes, ran a few tests at ground level.......FULL, and UN-INTERRUPTED SIGNAL!  :grin:

So, it's up on the roof we go, re-attached the weatherstation to the mast/pole, ran the remaining couple of metres of wire down the mast and cable tied it on, crossed my fingers and headed back down the ladder, back inside the house to the indoor unit......FULL, and UN-INTERRUPTED SIGNAL ONCE AGAIN!!!  \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

IT WORKS!, for all of the reasons that it shouldn't, from guys that gratefully shared their knowledge above, all I can say is, 5 years later, other side of the country, completely new environment and I've replicated the exact same success I had the first time by attaching some wire.

Absolutely wanting to convey nothing more than HELP for anyone struggling to get decent signal with their Acurite 5-in-1 Weather Station, PLEASE try this and save yourself alot of time.

[tup]

Offline giveme5

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2020, 09:51:39 PM »

In case of normal-mode helical antenna like the one in Acurite stations, yes, straight quarter-wave antenna would have significantly better electromagnetic performance.
Even a piece of electrical wire, equal or longer than frequency wavelength will outperform that little coil antenna, especially if coil antenna is badly tuned like it is case with many Acurite products.

These little coils are used for two reasons, cost and space.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:53:47 PM by giveme5 »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2020, 04:23:49 PM »
Just today, I did this modification. So far, I have not lost a bar of signal when I have been watching. I had to take the station down anyway, as the fan was sticking in the morning, and there was a huge spider living under the regulator board for the fan motor. I changed the thermo/hygro board too, because the humidity was too  low during rains, not reaching 99 anymore. So I gave the whole thing a good tune up, and applied dry lube to the anemometer again after several months it had began to lag. Should be good to go for another 5 or 6 months.
EDIT... Sorry to say, but it did not work for me. It has actually made things worse.  :(
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:16:28 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2020, 08:45:30 AM »
Since adding the wire, it does seem to help overall. I'm not sure why... There must be some kind of issue with the spring transmitter antenna. Has anyone tried a different spring by taking the one that's in there out and soldering another in it's place of better build? At first I thought maybe the 5n1 was not transmitting every 18 seconds at times like it should be, but that doesn't seem to be the case, and that would lead one to suspect the antenna.

Offline Gino27

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2020, 02:45:30 PM »
I just tried this out. It did improve my signal but occasionally it drops a few bars. I understand this indicates packet loss, so I may try a different band (A,B,C).

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2020, 03:32:21 PM »
I just tried this out. It did improve my signal but occasionally it drops a few bars. I understand this indicates packet loss, so I may try a different band (A,B,C).

Mine does the same thing. The switch doesn't help in my case. Something isn't quite right with the board connections or the antenna. Yesterday, my 5n1 thru out a .40 rainfall reading in the middle of the night and we didn't get any rain. Very odd.

Offline Gino27

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2020, 03:52:47 PM »

Mine does the same thing. The switch doesn't help in my case. Something isn't quite right with the board connections or the antenna. Yesterday, my 5n1 thru out a .40 rainfall reading in the middle of the night and we didn't get any rain. Very odd.

Yeah the problem came right back. I just cant get the signal 130 and into my basement.

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2020, 10:49:36 AM »
I'd been having signal problems for a couple months now to the display and to the access.  Installed the wire today and have full signal to both.  Hopefully it lasts!

Offline Steve Culp

• Mason Creek Weather
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2024, 03:08:45 PM »
Thanks for your update [tup] they could have improved the antenna on these units for sure I always had a issue with the old hub but with the new access that is no longer a problem always full signal, so I believe there is a antenna issue with both TX and RX.

Bottom line they need better antennas on these units if there limited to a certain power out put.

The problem is not the sensor. It's the display unit's antenna orientation. The antenna in the 5-n-1 and probably the Atlas as well is vertically polarized while the antennas in the display unit are horizontally positioned inside the unit. No good in radio world.

After rotating my display 45 degrees on the wall, years of intermittent unexplainable 100% to 0% dropouts with no signal bars seem to have stopped now that both antennas are vertically polarized.

How could have the design engineers not have taken antenna polarization in to account when the designed the display units?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 03:16:38 PM by Steve Culp »

Offline countzero

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2024, 03:25:18 AM »
I'm really surprised. These little 433mhz chirp transmitters are usually so robust. Kick the guts out of zigbee for range and robust reception, pity they aren't much good for stateful applications or anything secure or private. Buying zigbee temp/hum sensors for my house was the biggest waste of money ever. Back to the cheapass aliexpress 433mhz sensors and rtl433

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2024, 02:18:31 PM »
It's the receiving antennas in the acurite displays. Both the Atlas and the Iris. The Atlas coil antenna doesn't even make good contact to the coax, and that is why the signal drops. I took mine apart and have re-soldered it several times, until I finally got it to work.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2024, 05:34:46 PM »
No problems with both 5n1 displays. I'm actually impressed because my 5n1 & display is many... years old now.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2024, 09:49:20 AM »
This is how I fixed my display with signal constantly dropping off. No more loss now. I extended the coax, and soldered the antenna to that piece of wire. It took some time to find the sweet spot, but now it's working nicely. This was my beta display, the second display died a long time ago, and also had terrible reception.

anything