Author Topic: wunder map and other items not working.  (Read 2851 times)

Offline lazersgm

wunder map and other items not working.
« on: August 18, 2019, 07:51:48 AM »
i get The WunderMap is not available on this browser at this time. Please try a different browser or update your current browser to the latest version. when i try to use wundermpa and the radar mini map wont show. i have cleared chrome. i have reinstalled chrome. i removed all the plugins. i have bypassed my fire wall. nothing seams to work. my chrome version is 76.0.3809.100. my wife's computer does not have this problem. i can use Microsoft edge and it works just fine. at a loss for what to do to fix this. thanks.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: wunder map and other items not working.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 02:08:19 PM »
Not sure if related but will throw it out there.
My Windows 10 laptop stopped going to my own website. Ran a diagnostic test and said it was a DNS issue.
I went into the adapter settings, under internet protocol TCP IPv4 properties the DNS address was blank. Added in as primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4 and now website shows. 
Randy

Offline lazersgm

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 02:18:17 PM »
took a look and i have a ip-4 address but not a ip-6. not sure if i need one.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 02:23:55 PM »
You don't need an IPv6 address. It is also not likely a DNS issue if you can get to other websites and just some WU components don't work.

I would reset Chrome.  When you uninstall/re-install your settings are kept.

To reset Chrome:
- Menu dots
- Settings
- Advanced
- Reset and Cleanup / Restore setting to original
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
- Reset button
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 02:35:24 PM »
IPv6 address you won't need.
If its a DNS issue none of the browsers on the computer will connect to the web address in question while another computer may connect just fine.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 02:38:00 PM »
Right-click  ip-4 address and open properties, see if blank. If so try the 8.8.8.8. as primary and 8.8.4.4. as secondary.
Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 03:55:27 PM »
ValentineWeather,
I respectfully disagree with your advice. Nobody should be putting in Internet DNS servers onto their local computer. Those DNS servers are numbers you can use on your router as DNS forwarders. Your local computer should use the router's IP address as a local DNS server so that local networking is not broken, and this is automatically configured.

If you fixed your computer by manually entering in 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 onto its local interface then that means something else was wrong on your network. Even though it may have worked it is not the right approach because it breaks local networking. It just isn't by the book.

Here is some proof:
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\George>nslookup kids-t440s 192.168.1.1
Server:  router.asus.com
Address:  192.168.1.1

Name:    kids-t440s
Address:  192.168.1.66

C:\Users\George>nslookup kids-t440s 8.8.8.8
Server:  dns.google
Address:  8.8.8.8

*** dns.google can't find kids-t440s: Non-existent domain

C:\Users\George>

In the first instance I used the nslookup tool (a DNS query) what the IP address was for a local computer on my network called kids-t440s and I specified that it ask the router's DNS for the answer. It found the answer and responded. In the second instance I asked the same thing but this time I asked 8.8.8.8 to give me the answer....the result....Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 has no clue about a computer named kids-t440s.

Please don't misunderstand. I use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ...just not directly on my computer. I have those DNS servers entered on my router's DNS forwarders, because it is better than using the default ISP DNS servers.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:05:52 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 09:51:39 PM »
It's much easier to change DNS on the individual computers for me, being I have a CenturyLink modem/router in one for ADSL.
The interface is very confusing.

I can't find anywhere that changing the DNS server has anything to do with the local network. Anyway, mine's not broken and works whether I use google DNS on just 1 or all 3 networked computers.  2 of 3 are now on Google DNS and local network is up and working.

The issue I had was the default DNS server CenturyLink uses was not connecting with my website at times. It started happening more frequently so the Google DNS fix took care of it. 

Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 12:35:16 AM »
It's much easier to change DNS on the individual computers for me, being I have a CenturyLink modem/router in one for ADSL.
The interface is very confusing.

The interface on ISP modem routers is not only confusing but severely lacking in features and ability to fully customize. Hence why I always recommend putting the ISP modem/router into bridge mode and then use your own decent router.

I can't find anywhere that changing the DNS server has anything to do with the local network.

Well if you ever decide to set up a Domain controller you'll learn this quickly. But you don't even need to go that drastic. Just try and set up a peer to peer network file and resource sharing and you'll learn it then too. Microsoft has some remedies for poorly constructed networks like NetBIOS and Master Browse elections (which has  nothing to do with web browsers) all to help, but as I said things may or may not work correctly and dependably if not done by the book. By the book I mean by networking standards which you would not really come to unless you study network administration and perhaps study to attain networking certifications. If you only use your computer for the Internet...well then nothing is "broken" ...but it isn't right to be messing and changing settings in such a way. I hope you never buy a NAS and try and map network drive letters as you'll probably curse the thing for not working properly, not knowing it was all because you messed with your network settings.

Anyway, mine's not broken and works whether I use google DNS on just 1 or all 3 networked computers.  2 of 3 are now on Google DNS and local network is up and working.

I don't think you understand what I mean by breaking the local network. Your computers seem to be working fine but you probably are not using resources from networked computer to networked computer. By putting in 8.8.8.8 as DNS servers on the local computers you made them all only work for the Internet and not for each other as in from one talking directly to the other.

The issue I had was the default DNS server CenturyLink uses was not connecting with my website at times. It started happening more frequently so the Google DNS fix took care of it.
I totally understand that. That is because ISP's default DNS servers are unreliable and slow. But changing Internet DNS servers is something that needs to be done only at the router (on a home network).
Buy your own router so that you can do this and more easily the right way. You'll get better WiFi and a better firewall and your local network resources will be accessible and fast.

Here is the bottom line. When you set your computer's DNS to be 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 you have removed your computer's ability to resolve IP addresses for your local LAN of other devices on your LAN.

When configured properly if your computer needs the IP address for an Internet resource it asks the local DNS server (your router) and your router then forwards this request to either the ISP DNS or to some other DNS server if you've changed it at the router. But if you change the DNS server to use at the computer then when you need the IP address for that other computer name on your local network then the Internet DNS server that you are using is going to be used and it won't know a thing about your internal network and what IP address anything is on your LAN. You know things in your LAN that are typically 192.168.1.x or something like that.
The reason the router would know the IP address for other devices on your local network is because it is also the DHCP server for your LAN. The router automatically enters in computer names and their IP address into its local DNS service at the same time as it hands out DHCP addresses and also since it is the router it also sees computer names of all devices talking to the Internet so it's able to build a local DNS database.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:17:10 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 05:27:13 AM »
Maybe you are thinking on the corporate scale which I agree uses DNS to manage a large company intranet.

Like I said my network is not broke. I am set up for file sharing between computers using the internal IP addresses assigned for communication and it doesn't care about what DNS address I use.
I'm done with the subject. I just hope the OP got their issue figured out.
Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 06:55:43 AM »
Maybe you are thinking on the corporate scale which I agree uses DNS to manage a large company intranet.

No I'm not thinking like on corporate scale. I'm thinking like someone who's job it is to know this and knows how all networks work.

Like I said my network is not broke. I am set up for file sharing between computers using the internal IP addresses assigned for communication and it doesn't care about what DNS address I use.

Exactly! It is broke because you could be file sharing using computer names (local DNS) instead of IP addresses.

I only intervened because you are spreading misinformation. I couldn't sit idle and not have said anything knowing better.
Tele-Pole

Offline lazersgm

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 07:31:09 AM »
You don't need an IPv6 address. It is also not likely a DNS issue if you can get to other websites and just some WU components don't work.

I would reset Chrome.  When you uninstall/re-install your settings are kept.

To reset Chrome:
- Menu dots
- Settings
- Advanced
- Reset and Cleanup / Restore setting to original
- Reset button

thanks for the help. i did that before i reinstalled chrome. did not help though. oh i also did a full virus scan just to be safe.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 08:57:31 AM »

No I'm not thinking like on corporate scale. I'm thinking like someone who's job it is to know this and knows how all networks work.

Exactly! It is broke because you could be file sharing using computer names (local DNS) instead of IP addresses.

I only intervened because you are spreading misinformation. I couldn't sit idle and not have said anything knowing better.

Saying I'm giving out misinformation is not only rude but false.  DNS for home users is for access to the internet, not networking.

by Bradley Mitchell
Updated July 17, 2019
The Domain Name System (DNS) translates internet domains and hostnames to IP addresses and vice versa. On the internet, DNS automatically converts between the names typed in the address bar of a web browser to the IP addresses of web servers hosting those sites. Larger corporations use DNS to manage a company intranet. Home networks use DNS to access the internet but do not use it to manage the names of home computers.
Randy

Offline lazersgm

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 09:02:38 AM »
FOUND IT! well after mulling it over a bit i decided i would try shutting off hardware graphics acceleration. went to change the setting and it was off. turned it on and everything started to work. odd that that would cause the problem but its all working as it should now. thanks for the help you guys. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 11:44:41 AM »
FOUND IT! well after mulling it over a bit i decided i would try shutting off hardware graphics acceleration. went to change the setting and it was off. turned it on and everything started to work. odd that that would cause the problem but its all working as it should now. thanks for the help you guys.

Glad its solved. Thank you for the update.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 11:57:05 AM »

Saying I'm giving out misinformation is not only rude but false.  DNS for home users is for access to the internet, not networking.

by Bradley Mitchell
Updated July 17, 2019
The Domain Name System (DNS) translates internet domains and hostnames to IP addresses and vice versa. On the internet, DNS automatically converts between the names typed in the address bar of a web browser to the IP addresses of web servers hosting those sites. Larger corporations use DNS to manage a company intranet. Home networks use DNS to access the internet but do not use it to manage the names of home computers.

I'm sorry that you think I'm being rude, not my intention. I'm trying really hard to be professional and I'm just trying to educate.

That is poorly written article by Bradley Mitchell. Same guy wrote this and he says to make these DNS changes at the router as what I'm saying not on the local computer:
https://www.lifewire.com/changing-dns-server-settings-home-networks-817515

Here is more proof:
https://superuser.com/questions/844731/google-dns-precludes-use-of-local-servers

Tele-Pole

Offline jpage

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 01:11:49 PM »
Wundermap is working again, at least for me. I just waited it out, guess I won? galfert, I do appreciate what you do.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 01:15:54 PM by jpage »

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 02:43:23 PM »
What do you guys make of this? This is my station that looks all crazy on the map. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 03:16:12 PM »
What do you guys make of this? This is my station that looks all crazy on the map.

One of two thing is happening there I think:
- The map didn't update as your wind direction changed and your temperature changed between 90, 91, and 92. Causing an overlay of previous status indicators.
- The map zoomed in/out and did not update correctly

Try a page reload and see what happens.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 03:19:20 PM »
Actually forget that. Its happening to a lot of people. Page reload doe not fix it. Seems to only happen on the small map on the dashboard.
Tele-Pole

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 04:04:03 PM »
I have the same issue but I also received a request from IBM for an opinion:

Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 09:02:07 AM »
ValentineWeather,
I respectfully disagree with your advice. Nobody should be putting in Internet DNS servers onto their local computer. Those DNS servers are numbers you can use on your router as DNS forwarders. Your local computer should use the router's IP address as a local DNS server so that local networking is not broken, and this is automatically configured.

If you fixed your computer by manually entering in 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 onto its local interface then that means something else was wrong on your network. Even though it may have worked it is not the right approach because it breaks local networking. It just isn't by the book.

Here is some proof:

In the first instance I used the nslookup tool (a DNS query) what the IP address was for a local computer on my network called kids-t440s and I specified that it ask the router's DNS for the answer. It found the answer and responded. In the second instance I asked the same thing but this time I asked 8.8.8.8 to give me the answer....the result....Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 has no clue about a computer named kids-t440s.

Please don't misunderstand. I use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ...just not directly on my computer. I have those DNS servers entered on my router's DNS forwarders, because it is better than using the default ISP DNS servers.

Some people cannot change the DNS within their router settings due to it being hard coded. Changing the DNS on Windows overrides your router's DNS.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 09:46:14 AM »
ValentineWeather,

Here is some proof:

Some people cannot change the DNS within their router settings due to it being hard coded. Changing the DNS on Windows overrides your router's DNS.

Yes, you are correct, but doing so has repercussions as it breaks local DNS. Maybe those advocating for this don't care about local DNS. Which is fine as long as you know this and accept it. The misinformation is to advocate this poor practice without informing others that they'll break local DNS.

But even still for those that can't change the DNS at the router because it is hard coded....well I say there is no good excuse for not having your own router. I never use the ISP router...they are all garbage. If you care enough to even consider changing DNS servers then you should care enough to have the right equipment.
Tele-Pole

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 11:07:29 AM »
My school station is having the same "multiple flag" issue.
I always assume it is a WU issue.

Also, the maps on the WU/Saratoga map cluster say "Radar down for maintenance"
I know that is a WU issue.

Its not you...its WU

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 04:37:46 PM »
Has anyone sent a support ticket in to WU to resolve the radar issue?

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

anything