Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 184286 times)

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #1200 on: January 20, 2019, 10:26:15 AM »
Post the wundermap direct link. I can't seem to search for stations. Also, did you notice that your PWS has only been viewed 1 time. Mine was about 86 times yesterday and today it says 1 time. I checked many other stations and they all say 1 time??

Assuming your referring to me here's my link:-
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ISTOCKPO4

But thanks to Mark Crossley it might be fixed. I turned off Rapid Fire updates as he suggested. Within 15 mins my station is showing on WU map again.

This should be something WU staff can fix. I've had that option set in Cumulus for years!

And yes, I did notice my visit count has been reset to 1. Another bug to fix.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:29:17 AM by Ray Proudfoot »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1201 on: January 20, 2019, 10:34:43 AM »
Glad your visible again Ray,
Also, did you notice that your PWS has only been viewed 1 time. Mine was about 86 times yesterday and today it says 1 time. I checked many other stations and they all say 1 time??
The number of times viewed has never been, in the 10 years I have observed, the number of times that page has been opened.  At best, if it is working, it is a count of the number of times an area, city or region, has been looked at.  If your station was one listed in that view it was a view count.  The significance of Views is a fallacy!

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1202 on: January 20, 2019, 12:03:14 PM »

But thanks to Mark Crossley it might be fixed. I turned off Rapid Fire updates as he suggested. Within 15 mins my station is showing on WU map again.

This should be something WU staff can fix. I've had that option set in Cumulus for years!

Good we now know what the issue is with the disappearing stations from Wundermap. Can we get some confirmation from those that Rapid Fire that their stations are gone off the map? Chime in people. I have a few stations. My WS-2902A is set to Rapid Fire and it can't be disabled...that is just how often it uploads (every 16 seconds). My Meteobridge has the ability to set WU upload to various upload intervals (different WU ID). I'll experiment with different setting and report back.

This needs to be something that WU fixes hopefully soon. Some stations have the option to set the upload interval but others don't. Besides Rapid Fire is something that has been around for years, and it makes no sense to disable that feature.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #1203 on: January 20, 2019, 12:10:44 PM »
Thanks Paul. Yes, it's definitely associated with Rapid Fire being enabled. I turned it back on and within a few minutes my symbol had disappeared again. It's now off until WU can fix the problem.

Notice to all who don't have their station showing on WU Map. Turn off Rapid Fire in your weather software.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:29:45 PM by Ray Proudfoot »

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #1204 on: January 20, 2019, 01:22:06 PM »
I went to my WU station page and there used to be a way to enable/disable rapid fire in settings. That option is no longer there. Can this be done by lengthening the reporting interval? It is now set to 1 minute with the IP Tools software. It is obvious that WU is making changes eg; the hit counter as well. Sigh........

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #1205 on: January 20, 2019, 02:58:05 PM »
I went to my WU station page and there used to be a way to enable/disable rapid fire in settings. That option is no longer there. Can this be done by lengthening the reporting interval? It is now set to 1 minute with the IP Tools software. It is obvious that WU is making changes eg; the hit counter as well. Sigh........

You need to turn off the option in the program you use to provide data to WU. For me it's Cumulus. It's not in WU itself.

Offline SWX

« Reply #1206 on: January 20, 2019, 08:06:24 PM »
My station’s gone from the WunderMap now as well, this is in addition to the ongoing “other map” disappearance.

This is what I see on the other map, a purple circle:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

And to the east you see a station reporting 5°F and another reporting 64°F, there’s also another (out of frame) that alternates between positive/negative 140°F. WU’s QC system hasn’t escaped the bugs plaguing everything else it seems.
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline editorizer

« Reply #1207 on: January 21, 2019, 04:35:34 AM »
WOW - what a mess WU has become. VIS reader has no way of disabling 18 sec. reporting that I can find. However, If memory serves me - there once was a tick mark to enable/disable that function.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1208 on: January 21, 2019, 06:47:19 AM »
From testing with my Meteobridge uploading to WU every 30 seconds causes station to disappear from Wundermap. Changing WU upload to every 1 minute and you almost instantly show back up on Wundermap.
Tele-Pole

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #1209 on: January 21, 2019, 08:10:15 AM »
From testing with my Meteobridge uploading to WU every 30 seconds causes station to disappear from Wundermap. Changing WU upload to every 1 minute and you almost instantly show back up on Wundermap.

Good info, thank you!

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #1210 on: January 21, 2019, 12:37:14 PM »
Hmm.   Thanks for that data point.   That should not matter, but it is possible that something in the rapidfire payload is messing up sending to our geospatial server.  Everything else seems to work fine...

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #1211 on: January 21, 2019, 02:19:57 PM »
Hmm.   Thanks for that data point.   That should not matter, but it is possible that something in the rapidfire payload is messing up sending to our geospatial server.  Everything else seems to work fine...

Not quite. Visitor counter is stuck at 1.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #1212 on: January 21, 2019, 02:40:35 PM »

Also, on the WebCam page, the first day of EVERY month is missing the weather icon...it's been like this for years and every month or so someone posts about it.  Never changes.

https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/konz/1/show.html

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 02:44:43 PM by konz »

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #1213 on: January 21, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »
Good find! Thanks.  Someone probably put code in to check for last update time to drop stations with stale data when they are updated every minute and used a '<' when it should have been a '>'  :-(
WS-1400-IP, Galaxy S3 for cloud cam and Web Server
QV Website | Source Code | WU | WC | PWS | MesoWest/CWOP

Offline jfowler

« Reply #1214 on: January 21, 2019, 07:38:18 PM »
We were assigned  an IP address by AWS and our log files are filling up with thousands of GET requests, like:
    GET http://weatherstation.wunderground.com:80/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?.......
or
   GET http://rtupdate.wunderground.com:80/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?......

Our org has nothing to do with wunderground so this web traffic is not wanted and I am guessing there could be some issues with users updating their stations as of 26 days ago?   Who can help me sort this one out?

Examples of PWS not working as a result ...
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWISOUTH19
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IAUCKLAN452
x100s
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:05:15 PM by jfowler »

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #1215 on: January 21, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »
Good find! Thanks.  Someone probably put code in to check for last update time to drop stations with stale data when they are updated every minute and used a '<' when it should have been a '>'  :-(
My station is reporting at 1 minute intervals and does not show on the Wundermap. It still shows on my station page and the gold star returned yesterday.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1216 on: January 21, 2019, 09:21:01 PM »
We were assigned  an IP address by AWS and our log files are filling up with thousands of GET requests, like:
    GET http://weatherstation.wunderground.com:80/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?.......
or
   GET http://rtupdate.wunderground.com:80/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?......

Our org has nothing to do with wunderground so this web traffic is not wanted and I am guessing there could be some issues with users updating their stations as of 26 days ago?   Who can help me sort this one out?

x100s

That is indeed very interesting. What could be happening is that Weather Underground has messed up their DNS tables and perhaps has a typo in the DNS zone with your IP address in there instead of theirs. When you do an DNS nslookup you can see the IP addresses that resolve for weatherstation.wunderground.com and rtupdate.wunderground.com. Do one of these IP addresses belong to you? 54.68.202.145 or 54.68.5.241. If one of these IP addresses don't belong to you then the screw up is probably with Amazon AWS services as you and Weather Underground seem to both be using AWS.

The following nslookup results are the same for rtupdate.wunderground.com as they are for weatherstation.wunderground.com

>nslookup weatherstation.wunderground.com 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    prod-pws-ng-ingest-368531364.us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com
Addresses:  54.68.202.145
Aliases:  weatherstation.wunderground.com
          rtupdate.wunderground.com

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:23:19 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline jfowler

« Reply #1217 on: January 21, 2019, 10:04:59 PM »
or

x100s

That is indeed very interesting. What could be happening is that Weather Underground has messed up their DNS tables and perhaps has a typo in the DNS zone with your IP address in there instead of theirs. When you do an DNS nslookup you can see the IP addresses that resolve for weatherstation.wunderground.com and rtupdate.wunderground.com. Do one of these IP addresses belong to you? 54.68.202.145 or 54.68.5.241. If one of these IP addresses don't belong to you then the screw up is probably with Amazon AWS services as you and Weather Underground seem to both be using AWS.

The following nslookup results are the same for rtupdate.wunderground.com as they are for weatherstation.wunderground.com

The DNS seems to resolve correctly for the to sites in question.  My guess is that an old version of software pushed out code that used an IP vs hostname?  At some point, wunderground.com released their "elastic IP" (AWS term) and we picked it up.  The IP is different enough that it doesn't look like a fat finger.  I don't really think this is an AWS issue.  Could be a cached dns entry, but enough time has gone by that I might rule that out too.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1218 on: January 21, 2019, 10:44:31 PM »
or

x100s

The DNS seems to resolve correctly for the to sites in question.  My guess is that an old version of software pushed out code that used an IP vs hostname?  At some point, wunderground.com released their "elastic IP" (AWS term) and we picked it up.  The IP is different enough that it doesn't look like a fat finger.  I don't really think this is an AWS issue.  Could be a cached dns entry, but enough time has gone by that I might rule that out too.

The elastic IP situation makes sense then. Seems to me that weather station hardware/software was coded to use these IP addresses rather than CNAMES then there is a big problem. Because it will then take the effort of these other weather hardware/software companies to fix it and there is nothing Weather Underground can then do to fix the problem. Unless some effort with Amazon can be done where they get that elastic IP back from you that has it now. It could also be much worse if there is more than one elastic IP address that went elsewhere and ended up with multiple other Amazon AWS clients.

But all this must be unrelated to the stations that only are dropping off the Wundermap. Because stations that have only dropped from the Wundermap are still successfully sending data and WU is getting the data and the WU station dashboards are working.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:46:12 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1219 on: January 22, 2019, 12:16:24 AM »
WU station dashboard no longer shows monthly view count at all. I believe it isn't that it was removed because it wasn't working and was stuck at 1 view. I believe it was removed because of their API licensing terms that recently went into effect. In fact I believe the counter stopped working because of the API policy changes. Regardless the feature is gone. Go look....it isn't there anymore! Buh Bye.
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #1220 on: January 22, 2019, 01:47:47 AM »
Yeah that just happened in the last 24 hours or less.  Evidently the preferred means to fix a broken feature now is to remove it entirely.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #1221 on: January 22, 2019, 06:01:59 AM »

If you look at the full URLs you are receiving they should have the station type embedded in there. Is there anything common about them that gives a clue?
Mark

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1222 on: January 22, 2019, 06:57:11 AM »

If you look at the full URLs you are receiving they should have the station type embedded in there. Is there anything common about them that gives a clue?

If you follow the two examples one is an Ambient WS-900-IP and the other one just says "other" for type.

Jfowler,
Please post some more examples.
Tele-Pole

Offline jfowler

« Reply #1223 on: January 22, 2019, 11:17:46 AM »

If you follow the two examples one is an Ambient WS-900-IP and the other one just says "other" for type.

Please post some more examples.

In a five minute sampling, about 145 unique ID's sent a few thousand GET requests. One of the fields in the query string is "softwaretype".  This list describes the softwaretypes seen:
AMBWeatherV3.0.3
Cumulus%20v3.0.0
EasyWeatherV1.1.4
Rainwise%20IP-100
Weather%20logger%20V1.0
Weather%20logger%20V2.1.8
Weather%20logger%20V2.1.9
Weather%20logger%20V3.0.2
Weather%20logger%20V3.0.7
Weather%20logger%20V3.0.8
WeatherStationV2.2.14
WH2600%20V4.0.7
WH2600%20V4.3.1
WH2600%20V4.3.6
WH2600%20V4.4.0
WH2600%20V4.4.2
WH2602%20V4.4.4
WH2602%20V4.4.5
WH2602%20V4.4.7
WH2602%20V4.4.9
WH2602%20V4.5.1
wview-5.20.2
X320M%20Rev:%201.04
X320M%20Rev:%201.05

The actual URLs look something like this:
"GET http://rtupdate.wunderground.com:80/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?ID=KCAMARIP71&XXXXXXXX=xxxxxxxxxx&tempf=45.1&humidity=83&dewptf=40.3&windchillf=45.1&winddir=264&windspeedmph=2.68&windgustmph=5.37&rainin=0.00&dailyrainin=0.09&weeklyrainin=0.09&monthlyrainin=8.08&yearlyrainin=8.08&indoortempf=48.2&indoorhumidity=72&baromin=29.9
8&lowbatt=0&dateutc=2019-01-21%2023:49:59&softwaretype=WH2600%20V4.3.6&action=updateraw&realtime=1&rtfreq=5 HTTP/1.0"

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #1224 on: January 22, 2019, 12:27:57 PM »
So nothing unique there, could there be a stale DNS entry around?
The URLs are using a domain name, so they are not connecting via IP, and I know Cumulus uses the domain name.
Mark

anything