Author Topic: Gauge Mounts  (Read 1438 times)

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
Gauge Mounts
« on: December 07, 2015, 11:17:06 PM »
Has anyone fabbed up an alternative mount for your gauge?  I've seen a few on Facebook that have "tubular" holders rather than the plastic "notch/groove" slide on holders.  Share your pics if you have something.  I'm looking for ideas to switch mine to.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Re: Gauge Mounts
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 08:29:25 AM »
Is this purely an intellectual exercise or are you trying to solve a problem?  I have had my Cocorahs gauge for a year now and I still admire it's simplicity and design.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:26:09 AM »
Is this purely an intellectual exercise or are you trying to solve a problem?  I have had my Cocorahs gauge for a year now and I still admire it's simplicity and design.

My large cylinder is very tight to slide out and then has to be aligned perfectly to slide back in. I checked over and over again to make sure it's all straight and lined up, and it is.  It's just the way mine is.  So I'm looking for an easier method of taking the large cylinder out.  I saw one on FB that has a small "cup" the bottom of the cylinder sits in and a ring toward the top to keep it upright.  Looks like a really nice design...almost like it came that way, but I'm pretty sure someone made it.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 09:43:39 AM »
I agree it sometimes is hard to slide it out and then the replacement back in when it is frosty/cold, and when it is very dark at 7:00 am when I have to slide it back down by just feel.

Paul

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 11:07:21 AM »
Here's one of the options I was referring to.  It may be for one of you guys here!  I really like the ring holder over the notch/groove holder.

Offline fmtbe

• Current Conditions for Hampstead, NH
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 02:15:07 PM »
I put this together after fighting with the tube frozen to the support too many times last winter.  The four posts are loose fitting and the standoff at the bottom provides very little contact area to freeze.