Author Topic: CoCoRaHS Mounting  (Read 1977 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
CoCoRaHS Mounting
« on: May 06, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »
Are there any alternative mounting schemes for the CoCoRaHS gauge other than the 4" square post?
Is there a way to mount it on a mast or pipe? I may be joining soon, and I wanted to look at mounting options.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: CoCoRaHS Mounting
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »
I took a piece of 1x4 board about 24 inches long and mounted it to a metal post with u bolts and then screwed the CoCoRahs mount to that board.  If I think of it I will get a picture tomorrow.

Not a very good pic but you can get the idea.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 07:12:13 PM »
Are there any alternative mounting schemes for the CoCoRaHS gauge other than the 4" square post?
Is there a way to mount it on a mast or pipe? I may be joining soon, and I wanted to look at mounting options.
Greg
Top about 40" from the soil, and  top should be 4" above any support, no blocking obstacles nearby, mounted on grass or lawn, not concrete or pavement....

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 07:49:21 PM »
I took a piece of 1x4 board about 24 inches long and mounted it to a metal post with u bolts and then screwed the CoCoRahs mount to that board.  If I think of it I will get a picture tomorrow.

Not a very good pic but you can get the idea.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was thinking about. I wasn't looking forward to yet another 4x4 post hole and concrete job...

Greg

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »
I just joined recently.  There's nearly 100 volunteers around Wisconsin that submit data regularly.

I'm not a fan of trying to dig a hole in pure red clay to bury a post.  I'm also not a fan of those "hammer in the ground" post anchors but thought I'd give it a try for my rain gauge.  It actually worked great and is very sturdy (probably helped by the clay).  And can be moved easily if necessary.  My gauge was installed in less than 30 minutes using some 4x4 posts I had laying around.  Just make corrections early with leveling it before you get it too deep.

I was originally going to mount it right next to my Davis ISS but decided to put it in a different location of my yard that is most ideal for precip.  Wanted to see if there would be differing precipitation opinions between the two.  It's usually within a few hundredths when all is said and done with a rain event.  :grin:
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:01:51 PM »
The plastic bracket is 3" x 11" with three holes for the screws.  The gauge extends 4" above the top of the bracket.  This allows the funnel of the gauge to be clear of the mounting post.  Not enough clearance to mount the plastic bracket with U bolts to the pipe mast.
If you attach it to a pipe mast, the rain gauge should extend above the top of the mast so that the gauge isn't in a 'rain shadow'.
The 4" post doesn't need concrete to anchor it since it'll be only waist high.
I have about 6 rain gauges of different types mounted within 10 feet.  Some NWS, manual, tipping bucket, weighing.  I never know how much it rained because they indicate different amounts.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:14:26 PM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:32:54 PM »
My setup.  Simple post anchor, post and rain gauge.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 08:58:42 AM »
I had an old pipe connected to some kind of floor flange that was kicking around the garage for years. I got another deck block and mounted the flange with anchors. I used conduit clamps to attach a 1x4" board that I screwed the rain gauge bracket plate to. It worked out well.

Thanks to all for the inspiring ideas.  \:D/

I am now contributing my data.

Greg

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 10:36:27 PM »
I zip-tied mine to a metal fence post next to our wooden fence. It has been there 2-1/2 years now without problems. (Meanwhile, the wood fence has rotted an fallen down...)

Click for larger image
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook