Author Topic: VWS showing wrong weather station on CWOP  (Read 7649 times)

Offline KC2TOH

VWS showing wrong weather station on CWOP
« on: April 16, 2009, 08:58:01 PM »
My CWOP page is showing that I have a Davis Wizard instead of the Davis Vantage Pro Plus even though I have Davis Vanatge Pro Plus selected in the VWSaprs program.

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/AT188

I have emailed Russ at CWOP about this issue and he said that they take the station type off of the comment that is at the end of each
packet that is sent.

So it seems like the VWSaprs program has a bug and is sending the wrong weather station type at the end of each packet.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  If so, is there a fix?

I am using VWS Version 14.00 p73

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
KC2TOH

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: VWS showing wrong weather station on CWOP
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:06:36 PM »
My CWOP page is showing that I have a Davis Wizard instead of the Davis Vantage Pro Plus even though I have Davis Vanatge Pro Plus selected in the VWSaprs program.

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/AT188

I have emailed Russ at CWOP about this issue and he said that they take the station type off of the comment that is at the end of each
packet that is sent.

So it seems like the VWSaprs program has a bug and is sending the wrong weather station type at the end of each packet.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  If so, is there a fix?

I am using VWS Version 14.00 p73

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
KC2TOH

You can see the data your station sends to CWOP on the link that says Raw weather data

The v6 is what your software is telling CWOP that you have.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline KC2TOH

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »
What is the v6?  Is that the Wizard? 

How do I get it to show I have the Vantage Pro Plus?

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:57:39 PM »
Check your VWSAPRS settings.  I think that may be where the error is. 
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline KC2TOH

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:03:28 AM »
Thats the first place I looked Mark.  I have Davis Vantage Pro Plus selected in VWSaprs.

Unless I am missing something..  are there any other settings I should be looking at?

Check your VWSAPRS settings.  I think that may be where the error is. 

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 12:21:56 AM »
No other places that I can think of assuming VWS is set to the correct station.  Might try downloading the newest version of VWSaprs if you have not already done so.  http://www.meteorologica.co.uk/APRS/VWSaprs.zip

Or if all else fails send Dr. Tim West an email directly.  He's not on the forum too regular and always requests that any problems with his products be sent to him via email.

I use VWS but for CWOP uploads I'm currently using VPlive so I can't verify the problem myself.   ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 08:01:35 AM »
I thought the aprs software merely sends its software version number at the end of the string?  while you enter the station type in vwsaprs it does not appear to send it.   I thought the station type on your gladstone page was conveyed in the initial setup.  Mine just say v8, cant see how that would be correlated to a wmr968 using VWS.

It would be interesting to see if you update your vwsaprs to see if you went from v6 to v8 or higher...

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline KC2TOH

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 08:18:04 AM »
I have the latest version of VWSaprs.

Any idea what Dr. Tim's email address is?

My VPLive is placing a VL1112 at the end of the data string.  So maybe VL1112 means Davis Vantage Pro Plus??

No other places that I can think of assuming VWS is set to the correct station.  Might try downloading the newest version of VWSaprs if you have not already done so.  http://www.meteorologica.co.uk/APRS/VWSaprs.zip

Or if all else fails send Dr. Tim West an email directly.  He's not on the forum too regular and always requests that any problems with his products be sent to him via email.

I use VWS but for CWOP uploads I'm currently using VPlive so I can't verify the problem myself.   ;)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:23:05 AM »
Are you swiching between both vplive and vwsaprs this morning?  I thought I saw vplive in the string, then v6 again.

I think you can reach tim through meteorlogica

http://www.meteorologica.co.uk/contact.asp?cookiecheck=yes&

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 11:28:39 AM »
I use the same software as you VWSaprs and VWS ver.14p73, but a Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless, and everthing is ok here.
In the end of the string i got v31, just for information.

My VPLive is placing a VL1112 at the end of the data string.  So maybe VL1112 means Davis Vantage Pro Plus??

Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 03:14:48 PM »
the station codes are based on the WD station types
(31 - Davis VP /2,
4  WMII complete
5  Wizard
6 WMII standard
7 Davis Energy
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:41:31 PM by GBW »
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline KC2TOH

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 04:08:22 PM »
I just can't figure out why if I have Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus selected in VWSaprs and everywhere else, it is still showing v6 at the end of my data stream?  I guess I will send Dr. tim an email.

(31 - Davis VP /2, 6 = Davis wizard,  4, or 5 are the Davis WMII types (standard, full, etc)

Offline KC2TOH

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 04:15:49 PM »
That is the same exact setup I have and I am getting a v6 at the end of the string.

I use the same software as you VWSaprs and VWS ver.14p73, but a Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless, and everthing is ok here.
In the end of the string i got v31, just for information.

Offline KC2TOH

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 05:49:15 PM »
Just curious where you got this info from GBW?  Any ideas as to why my data string has a v6 placed at the end??

(31 - Davis VP /2,
4  WMII complete
5  Wizard
6 WMII standard
7 Davis Energy

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 09:31:57 PM »
...My VPLive is placing a VL1112 at the end of the data string.  So maybe VL1112 means Davis Vantage Pro Plus??...

Mines a Vantage Pro (not a Plus) and my VPLive suffix is VL1111.  It looks like the software authors each have their own code they use and then the CWOP folk code their system to recognize it.

I found this breakdown of the packet data:

http://pond1.gladstonefamily.net:8080/aprswxnet.html
Mark 

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
from that page
Weather Display has a table of codes that cover most weather station types and it would be helpful to use the same codes.
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline KC2TOH

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 10:19:53 AM »
Well I wrote an email to Dr. Tim West and he said that v6 is supposed to stand for Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus and v31 stands for the regular Davis Vantage Pro (without solar, uv sensors and FARS). 

So everything is right on my end.  I guess the problem is with CWOP.  Does anyone know how to get a hold of Philip Gladstone?

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »
Well I wrote an email to Dr. Tim West and he said that v6 is supposed to stand for Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus and v31 stands for the regular Davis Vantage Pro (without solar, uv sensors and FARS). 

So everything is right on my end.  I guess the problem is with CWOP.  Does anyone know how to get a hold of Philip Gladstone?

I tried to copy and past the link from the bottom of my QA Summary page, but it didn't seem to work.

You can, however, sign up for the cwop mailing list and post questions there.  It's on the cwop faq page:

http://www.wxqa.com/faq.html

I don't have time to look right now, but I'm sure there's an email address on one of the cwop pages.

Good luck. 
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »
but CWOP have it correct, as that is the code look up for the wizard
there never was a separate code for the VP+
but since there are very few wizard users then it could be changed to a 6 being for the VP with solar and UV
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline KC2TOH

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »
Talked with Mr. Gladstone and he said he is going to look into it.  He said that there seems to be a miscommunication between his weather station table and Dr. Tim's.  Dr. Tim said that they are in the process of a new update with VWSaprs and the weather station codes are going to change.

Just curious where you are finding these codes?  I have searched the internet and the Weather Display site and I see nothing mentioned about a "code table"..

but CWOP have it correct, as that is the code look up for the wizard
there never was a separate code for the VP+
but since there are very few wizard users then it could be changed to a 6 being for the VP with solar and UV