Author Topic: Don't Worry Too Much About 2 Thumbs & 100%  (Read 4180 times)

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
Don't Worry Too Much About 2 Thumbs & 100%
« on: January 27, 2009, 08:08:28 AM »
I just looked at Philip Gladstone's own station and even he does not always achieve perfection.
http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C0003?tile=10;days=28#Data

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

blackjack52

Re: Don't Worry Too Much About 2 Thumbs & 100%
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:26:25 AM »
That's probably because other stations, not properly calibrated, are bringing him down.  ''Don't bring me down.''  ELO :?:

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 04:26:18 PM »
That goes to show how susupect to fault the QC program can be :)
Mine goes fine for awhile and then the big X
There has never been anything I could do to help it except once so I just wait...maybe not quietly and it returns eventually.

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »
''Don't bring me down.''  ELO :?:

"Don't Bring Me Down" The Animals would be a better fit...

"... it makes me feel like giving up
because my best just ain't good enough...

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

blackjack52

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 04:52:13 PM »
Yep.  My bP and day/night temps will be fine for a while, then start ''drifting''.  I don't worry, because I know it will return.  The baro seems to be the most affected.  Probably due to fronts, the radius of surrounding sensors, their ability to accurately represent the bp, and of course, their accuracy.   The more sensors, the less ''drift'', regardless of the accuracy.

Offline svcrews

• Southeastern Kentucky Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:03:32 PM »
Keep in mind, that everything must be equal.  In my case, I live in the mountains, in order for everything to be equal, mountains would need to be moved.

When there is overcast, my station “may” be in 100% agreement, on a clear day, I may have many errors.  The sites(s) that my station are compared to (airport), have no blockage to morning sunrise, and are 20 - 30 miles away.  The sun will not come over the mountain here till midday, plus altitude may differ within a mile or so.

I read my nightly report, but do not put a lot of concern, as I have checked the instruments, which are all seem to be correct.
One interesting thing is that the report that comes from  gladstonefamily.net  differs from MesoWest

''Don't bring me down.''  ELO :?:

"Don't Bring Me Down" The Animals would be a better fit...

"... it makes me feel like giving up
because my best just ain't good enough...

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:02:24 PM »
Hey Steve!  Good to see your still about!   :grin:

I quit worrying too much about the any errors that show up there as well as long as they do not go to the extreme.  They flag me for temp too warm from time to time but I have two old mercury thermometers and another cheap digital that are all in agreement with the VP when it happens.  I'm about 3/4 the way up the side of a creek valley which would account for most of the variations of a few degrees.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline svcrews

• Southeastern Kentucky Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 06:26:06 AM »

Hey Mark!
I still kicking, been busy with many things, but always read the post every day.  I went crazy when I put up the first station here, trying to make sure everything was as correct as it could be. The quality check drove me nuts for a while, adjusting this that and the other, then it occurred that the sites I am compared to are not equal.  We are up on a mountain, facing west, (aint nothing level),  the the mountain goes up another 800 foot, so when the sun rises in the morning, we do not get direct sunlight till late morning.  The small airport is about 20 miles away; their equipment has no obstructions and is in a valley.
I have two Davis systems, both match perfectly on this end, plus I check a few PWS that are within 20 -30 miles from here, and we are pretty much in the ball park, so I decided it will be what it is, and quit trying to make the system be something that it is not. Yesterday I got a 0/96 report, all was good but it was overcast, with a front coming in today, might get another good report, but as soon as we get a clear day, I will get a shabby report for the first half the day. O well.

Good to hear from you Mark, hey it’s about Green time again <GRIN>.  I got to get some new AG tires before spring…

Steve

Hey Steve!  Good to see your still about!   :grin:

I quit worrying too much about the any errors that show up there as well as long as they do not go to the extreme.  They flag me for temp too warm from time to time but I have two old mercury thermometers and another cheap digital that are all in agreement with the VP when it happens.  I'm about 3/4 the way up the side of a creek valley which would account for most of the variations of a few degrees.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 11:56:18 PM »
...Good to hear from you Mark, hey it’s about Green time again <GRIN>.  I got to get some new AG tires before spring…

Steve..

Winter is moving by pretty quick it seems.  Won't be too long before things GREEN up.   ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 11:15:14 AM »
...Good to hear from you Mark, hey it’s about Green time again <GRIN>.  I got to get some new AG tires before spring…

Steve..

Winter is moving by pretty quick it seems.  Won't be too long before things GREEN up.   ;)

Yeah, I wish. Not until mid to the end of May round these parts.  ;)

Bob

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 04:01:33 PM »
That's probably because other stations, not properly calibrated, are bringing him down.

The closest to me is 1.6 miles away and a 40' difference. They supply a baro reading that's +14mb away from everyone. And another, inconsistant station, 10 miles away with a -12.5mb. I always have 2 thumbs. Guess they offset each other!

What irks me is the +14mb station, who came after I did, is MADIS listed on WU and I'm not! :-(

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com