Author Topic: CWOP Mapper Page  (Read 5445 times)

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
CWOP Mapper Page
« on: June 06, 2008, 09:21:19 AM »
I thought it would be fun to create a mash-up with Yahoo maps and CWOP weather stations.  You can see the results at
http://www.ruysfamily.com/HighlandsRanchWeather/WeatherMapper/Default.aspx

I found a station list with all of the CWOP stations and their lat/lon coordinates, so I should have all of the stations as of yesterday.  If you click on a station icon on the map it will show you its current weather info if it has reported in the last 24 hours.  Tell me what you think :grin:

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
Re: CWOP Mapper Page
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:43:19 PM »

That's really great! Nice work!

My only suggestion: the zoom in/out seems inverted to me. Don't most maps place + above and - below? Just wondering.

Great job!

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 05:57:49 PM »

That's really great! Nice work!

My only suggestion: the zoom in/out seems inverted to me. Don't most maps place + above and - below? Just wondering.

Great job!

Kevin...

Thanks Kevin :grin:  The zoom is just part of the Yahoo Maps API, so I don't have too much control over that.  I will have to look to see if there is a way change it, Google maps has it the way you explained, which does make more sense.

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 07:57:59 PM »
Very nice indeed. I like that the barometer is in inches of mecury. I will have to save this to my favorites.

Tim

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:04:16 PM »
Cool!   8-)

I switched to the satellite view and they now have an updated photo to what I remember.  Someday my neighbor about 150' across the street will stumble on one of these maps and wonder why there is a weather station logo on his roof.   :mrgreen:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 03:03:21 AM »
Cool!   8-)

I switched to the satellite view and they now have an updated photo to what I remember.  Someday my neighbor about 150' across the street will stumble on one of these maps and wonder why there is a weather station logo on his roof.   :mrgreen:

When I full zoom-in (on Yahoo maps not jruys usage), my 9 year old house is current - with a year. When I zoom out 1 click, it flashes back about 8 years (as in jruys' view)! Very cool as I've only lived here for 2.5 years. The neighborhood sure has changed.

jruys - Nice job on a great concept. I love it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:05:09 AM by Cienega32 »

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 11:56:23 PM »
I had a request to add some parameters to the URL so you can bookmark the spot you want.  So I added two parameters, one for position, and one for zoom level.  Here is an example: http://www.ruysfamily.com/HighlandsRanchWeather/WeatherMapper/Default.aspx?position=80130&zoom=6

You can put just about any place name into the position parameter such as zipcode; lat,lon; city,state; ect...  The zoom parameter takes a number from 1-16, with 1 being the furthest zoomed in and 16 being the farthest out.  I am going to add a link to the bottom of the page in the near future so it will add the parameters for the current position so you won't have to manually put the parameters in.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 11:04:03 PM »
Great piece of work!!
And really handy to boot!
Bookmarked it here!

Thanks for developing the program!

Wt

www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 09:40:37 PM »
What a great find in an old thread! =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything