Author Topic: Wind Gauge Stuck on North  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Wind Gauge Stuck on North
« on: December 04, 2022, 03:44:58 PM »
The wind gauge on my David console has become stuck on north while the direction the wind blows changes.  I tried changing to a new battery, but it didn't help.  Is there some other way to troubleshoot this problem?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: Wind Gauge Stuck on North
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 04:07:34 PM »
I would check the station and see of the vane is actually moving and make sure that the vane is tight on the shaft.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 04:28:34 PM »
Typically either a connection issue, try re-seating or replacing the modular connection, failing that it's a failed anemometer?

Offline smokie

• Newquay Cornwall. UK
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 01:35:33 AM »
This has happened to me a year ago, it was a failed anemometer  :-(, live close to sea, put it down to the salt in the air.
Newquay, Cornwall.UK  > WS2300 Operational since May 2007. New home from 6/4/08 www.newquayweather.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 06:27:37 PM »
If the wires in the anemometer cable for the windvane are broken an open-circuit results and the station will show a constant "N" reading.

Over the years, this condition has happened to me several times. In every case it was either a broken cable or more likely a faulty RJ11 connection failure caused by moisture getting inside the connector which results in corrosion of the contacts. I have a wired anemometer and wound-up using some vaseline on the connections and then putting the RJ11 connector in an old Altoids tin to keep the weather out. Haven't had any issues since doing that.

Additionally, the cable from the anemometer will break if you don't tie it to the mounting pole in many places. The wind "will" cause the cable to flex and eventually cause one or more of the conductors inside to break. This may also lead to intermittent operation of the windvane readings.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 08:23:59 AM »
Additionally, the cable from the anemometer will break if you don't tie it to the mounting pole in many places. The wind "will" cause the cable to flex and eventually cause one or more of the conductors inside to break. This may also lead to intermittent operation of the windvane readings.

I agree completely, but would like to also recommend using the UV resistant cable ties. The natural (off-white) nylon ones will degrade and fail in sunlight. I don't know if all black cable ties are UV resistant, but most if not all UV resistant ones are black in color.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 04:29:44 PM »
Hi All,

Bunty, where is your vane located? Is it separated on a higher pole?  If so, try tapping it with a hammer to shake the vane and see what happens.  I have had that happen to me some time ago, I gave the pole a gentle tap and that worked.  It could have a bad bearing too.  I since have replaced my anemometer with the current one.

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii
Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 01:09:43 AM »
Thanks.  For an update, I solved the problem by putting up a new one.  Now the wind direction is registering fine.  The old one lasted around 7 years.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php