Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109134 times)

Offline rockncola

Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #1350 on: September 06, 2019, 04:23:10 AM »
Hi Wojtek, thanks for sending out the replacement, just installed and working well.

Just have one question, do you know if Weathercloud allows recording in 0.2mm increments? It seems that awekas and Weatherlink do, PWS and Wunderground don't, but I'm not sure about Weathercloud.

Cheers

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1351 on: September 06, 2019, 05:16:01 AM »
Hi Wojtek, thanks for sending out the replacement, just installed and working well.

Just have one question, do you know if Weathercloud allows recording in 0.2mm increments? It seems that awekas and Weatherlink do, PWS and Wunderground don't, but I'm not sure about Weathercloud.

Cheers
I will check it. Maybe they change something.

Awekas is european. It takes rain in mm.
PWS and WU in inches even if you you measure in mm.
0.01 in -> 0.254 mm -> but WU and PWS takes 0.xx
Now in mm
0.2mm = 0,0078740157480315
0.4mm = 0,015748031496063
0.6mm = 0,0236220472440945
for WU and PWS it is
mm(DAVIS) -> send as 0.xx inches -> recalculate from inches to mm on you web browser.
0.2mm(Davis)-> 0.01 in -> 0,2(54) mm
0.4mm(Davis)-> 0.02 in -> 0,5(08) mm
0.6mm(Davis)-> 0.02 in -> 0,5(08) mm
I have tried in Wu to send 0,023622047 then it could be recalculated to 0,5999999938 mm, but probably they have database set to 2 decimals.
3-4 decimals could do the trick
3 decimals -> 0,023 in -> 0,5842 mm ->0.6 mm
4 decimals -> 0,0236 in -> 0,59944 mm -> 0.6 mm

Anyway. I will check WeatherCloud once more if there is no changes.
With WU and PWS, not me but all of us could ask them to change database to 3-4 decimals.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1352 on: September 06, 2019, 05:50:24 AM »

UPDATE: WeatherCloud is taking rain in mm. So it will work perfect in mm, but with some little problem when you have bucket in inches.
I have also test WC. Works ok. 0.6mm on console, 0.6mm on WeatherCloud.

Offline rockncola

« Reply #1353 on: September 06, 2019, 09:23:39 AM »

UPDATE: WeatherCloud is taking rain in mm. So it will work perfect in mm, but with some little problem when you have bucket in inches.
I have also test WC. Works ok. 0.6mm on console, 0.6mm on WeatherCloud.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for checking this, much appreciated.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1354 on: September 06, 2019, 12:15:34 PM »
Looks very good! Your suggestions for MQTT are great, retained for register, and 3s / 3m for the other files.
Looking forward to get this new functionality!
Frans
Frans

I have finished JSONs for PHP&MySQL. JSONs contains full info about station and wfl. All data is being send.

/wflreg.json - retainded. File with settings.
/wflrtd.json - Real Time Data - LOOP1&LOOP2 data
/wflhilow.json - 1st part of HILOWS- this is main hilows data, also work witj VUE
/wflhilowex.json - extra HILOWS. Hilows for additional extra transmitters for VP2, not working with VUE.
/wfllastlog.json - retained. File with last archive records. Change when new data logger entry will be made.

Please take a look on current work. Maybe something was missed in JSONs.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #1355 on: September 07, 2019, 01:25:41 PM »
Is it time to update the firmware of my wifi logger or will there be an official communication when to do it?

Offline rockncola

« Reply #1356 on: September 07, 2019, 04:53:30 PM »
Any chance you could provide some sort of option or separate html file to turn off forecast that comes from the console? Here we are in extreme drought, bushfires, dust storms and no rain at all on the horizon, yet useless console forecast insists precipitation possible which couldn't be any further from the truth. I'd rather just be rid of it altogether.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #1357 on: September 08, 2019, 06:03:19 AM »
My VP2 Plus, where I inserted the wifi logger, is powered and also has batteries inside. If the current goes away (as already happened) it continues to work but the wifi logger stores my data or do I lose it? How much memory does the wifi logger have?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1358 on: September 09, 2019, 11:40:39 PM »
Is it time to update the firmware of my wifi logger or will there be an official communication when to do it?

I will make new post when 2.25 will be ready. Quite big batch of changes is in new firmware.
For users it will be only:
- PHP&MySQL - at last, fine custom export data. It is a banch of JSONs, which are exporting full console data, very similar to export wo WL.COM, but in JSON format, not binary.
- Stay alive - WiFiLogger will ping Google server 8.8.8.8 every 60 minutes, but every 1 minute will ping users router. Reconnect, reboot, when needed.
- I will try also download station information from Windy.com, to allow user to check his station.

My VP2 Plus, where I inserted the wifi logger, is powered and also has batteries inside. If the current goes away (as already happened) it continues to work but the wifi logger stores my data or do I lose it? How much memory does the wifi logger have?
WiFiLogger is two things:
- memory for console - it is 1Mbit(128KB)(2560 records) flash memory, which was take out from mainboard and sell as additional accessory. It belongs to console like main processor, or radio chip. There is only one particular flash memory that console can recognize. It can't be changed.
- WiFi chip here ESP8266 which contains software like WeatherLink PC, or Cumulus in lite version. It is like connected PC to console, but in small format.

As long, as console is showing something on display then it is logging data to flash memory. WiFi chip has nothing to do with this mechanism.
WiFi chip will empty your batteries in 69 hours.
Remember that you have two options.
1. Sleep mode. WiFi is turning on for 8-10 sec, every user intercal (best will be 900 sec.). Then power off. You can't log to it because it is powered off, but it will export data.
2. Split power. You can split 5v which is going to console. Solder additional external power to WiFilogger. Take out fuse which is protecting power line from console.
   This 3 operation will change power system. After that batteries from console are powering console and flash memory only. It should act as any RS232/USB logger. Batteries should be good for 3 months. WiFi chip will work only when you have power, but router and computer also works when you have power, so no problem with that :)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1359 on: September 09, 2019, 11:52:28 PM »
Any chance you could provide some sort of option or separate html file to turn off forecast that comes from the console? Here we are in extreme drought, bushfires, dust storms and no rain at all on the horizon, yet useless console forecast insists precipitation possible which couldn't be any further from the truth. I'd rather just be rid of it altogether.

Will do.
I know it is useless, this forecast, but it is part of Davis console. Also first page Real Time Data is copy of buletin from WeatherLink PC (attachmnet).
I just like to stick to my plan, which is move console data to the Internet with the use of WiFi.
Additional settings are not needed. I was planning to erase some settings, because when new user will open interface and find to much option, he/she will be confused.

I will think about how to do it. Maybe JS file, which can be loaded by Real Time Data page if exist and omited when don't/
It will be like HTML file, but won't be downloaded/replaced with new firmware.
Advance user could make/download such file from my site and put it to the WiFiLogger, set some own settings like date format and on/off forecast.
Basic user will not have knowladge about this, because he/she don't need it.

WeatherLink IP is better than WiFiLogger, because you can connect it to the console and it works without any single settings. Much better device for thousands of people.
But very restricted for pro users.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #1360 on: September 10, 2019, 03:03:57 AM »

I will make new post when 2.25 will be ready. Quite big batch of changes is in new firmware.
For users it will be only:
- PHP&MySQL - at last, fine custom export data. It is a banch of JSONs, which are exporting full console data, very similar to export wo WL.COM, but in JSON format, not binary.
- Stay alive - WiFiLogger will ping Google server 8.8.8.8 every 60 minutes, but every 1 minute will ping users router. Reconnect, reboot, when needed.
- I will try also download station information from Windy.com, to allow user to check his station.

WiFiLogger is two things:
- memory for console - it is 1Mbit(128KB)(2560 records) flash memory, which was take out from mainboard and sell as additional accessory. It belongs to console like main processor, or radio chip. There is only one particular flash memory that console can recognize. It can't be changed.
- WiFi chip here ESP8266 which contains software like WeatherLink PC, or Cumulus in lite version. It is like connected PC to console, but in small format.

As long, as console is showing something on display then it is logging data to flash memory. WiFi chip has nothing to do with this mechanism.
WiFi chip will empty your batteries in 69 hours.
Remember that you have two options.
1. Sleep mode. WiFi is turning on for 8-10 sec, every user intercal (best will be 900 sec.). Then power off. You can't log to it because it is powered off, but it will export data.
2. Split power. You can split 5v which is going to console. Solder additional external power to WiFilogger. Take out fuse which is protecting power line from console.
   This 3 operation will change power system. After that batteries from console are powering console and flash memory only. It should act as any RS232/USB logger. Batteries should be good for 3 months. WiFi chip will work only when you have power, but router and computer also works when you have power, so no problem with that :)

Weeks ago it was 4 hours without power, the VP2 was powered by batteries, but I didn't lose any data ........ I checked the WL.com reports
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:27:28 AM by MatteoPV »

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #1361 on: September 10, 2019, 04:29:04 AM »
In the case of using the sleep mode, you can no longer enter with the browser in wifi to adjust the wifi logger; once the sleep mode is activated, how do you enter the wifi logger control page?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1362 on: September 10, 2019, 05:36:19 AM »
In the case of using the sleep mode, you can no longer enter with the browser in wifi to adjust the wifi logger; once the sleep mode is activated, how do you enter the wifi logger control page?

Click white button. WiFiLogger will turn on and start exporting in  sleep mode. Between any operation is sensing red button activity.
So
Click white button. Wait 1-2 sec. Push and keep touching red button for 5 sec. WiFiLogger will not turn off after this operation. It will be operational up to next reboot.
You can log to it and disable sleep mode, or just use it as long as you like, then reboot to keep using sleep mode.

It is not very nice method, but the only one for this chip.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #1363 on: September 10, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »
Got it, thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm going to use sleep mode. At the moment the wifi logger is uploading data to me on WL and WU with an interval of 2 minutes, I don't think that the suspension mode is useful to me. However, I have always been the VP2 powered by current

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1364 on: September 10, 2019, 02:18:26 PM »
Got it, thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm going to use sleep mode. At the moment the wifi logger is uploading data to me on WL and WU with an interval of 2 minutes, I don't think that the suspension mode is useful to me. However, I have always been the VP2 powered by current

Yes. I do know that almost no one is using sleep mode and 100% no one is using external power for WFL.
Anyway I always has an answer. WiFiLogger is draining batteries like WL IP, but I have two solutions to save batteries.
External power is nice option, but needs custom cable.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #1365 on: September 11, 2019, 02:57:51 AM »
It's fine. However, I feed my VP2 with the electricity grid, so I only need internal batteries for safety

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1366 on: September 11, 2019, 09:37:56 AM »
It's fine. However, I feed my VP2 with the electricity grid, so I only need internal batteries for safety

Yes, but VP2 and VUE were made for just console, or console + RS232/USB logger.
Then batteries work perfect.

For: WL IP, WiFiLogger, NANO. It should be changed to rechargeable accumulator, but there is no way to put it inside, so using DC UPS with 5v output would be nice.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #1367 on: September 11, 2019, 01:38:11 PM »
However it works great with the VP2 powered by electricity

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #1368 on: September 11, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »
I have my VP2 and Vue Console power supplies connected to a UPS so the UPS powers the consoles with WFL and Nano if there is a power loss leaving the batteries as a further backup in case the power loss lasts long enough to exhaust the UPS.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #1369 on: September 12, 2019, 09:51:14 AM »
What UPS do you use?

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #1370 on: September 12, 2019, 11:50:13 AM »
A CyberPower CST135XLU.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #1371 on: September 12, 2019, 01:52:50 PM »
It's a great solution, thanks

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1372 on: September 16, 2019, 02:32:10 AM »
It's a great solution, thanks

DC UPS works on li-ion cells. It is set of charger and DC converter.
5v -> charge cell to 4.2v -> DC converter produce 5v from 3,2v - 4,2v.
I will order some modules and test it. Then I will share info about those solutions.
It is working like power bank, but power bank will not work. It has to be power bank with DC UPS ability.

example 1
example 2
example 3
example 4

And this one (or similar) I prefer the most:
example 5
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 02:37:29 AM by WiFiLogger »

Offline posixx

« Reply #1373 on: September 23, 2019, 05:56:37 AM »
Looks very good! Your suggestions for MQTT are great, retained for register, and 3s / 3m for the other files.
Frans
Frans

I have finished JSONs for PHP&MySQL. JSONs contains full info about station and wfl. All data is being send.

/wflhilow.json - 1st part of HILOWS- this is main hilows data, also work witj VUE
/wflhilowex.json - extra HILOWS. Hilows for additional extra transmitters for VP2, not working with VUE.
/wfllastlog.json - retained. File with last archive records. Change when new data logger entry will be made.

Nice! Will it be possible to only select 1 or 2 files for output to MQTT? For me only wflrtd.json and wflhilowex.json are needed.

Any idea when 2.25 is ready?

Frans

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1374 on: September 23, 2019, 06:10:27 AM »
Frans
Frans

Nice! Will it be possible to only select 1 or 2 files for output to MQTT? For me only wflrtd.json and wflhilowex.json are needed.

Any idea when 2.25 is ready?

Frans

Unfortunatly. There will be no options for only particular JSONS. I am thinking how to make interface more clear. I don't want to make to much options.
WL IP is better product than WiFiLogger, because it has no options. No options, no features, you can think that is crazy, who want to have product without features, but no features makes real Plug&Play, what is exactly what people like.

anything