Weather Software > WeatherLink/weatherlink.com by Davis Instruments

Why Do I Have Different Outside Temperatures on WLL and VP2 Console?

(1/4) > >>

syvalley:
Maybe someone can help me figure out what I'm missing here. I have a VP2 sensor suite in my back yard that seems to be sending two different 'outside temps', one to my WLL receiver-->weatherlink.com, and the other to my VP2 console.  There's no calibration present in the console or the WL.com settings.  They seem to ebb and flow a bit, maybe based on time of day, for instance they were about 10 degrees apart 3 hours ago, but seem to be matching up right now. 

Since there is only one outside temp thermometer (in the sensor suite), shouldn't WL.com and the console always show the same temp?  I understand why there are two different inside temps, but I cant get my head around why I would be seeing two different outside temps.  :?

Thanks for your time.

UPDATE:  An hour ago, I covered my ISS with a dark plastic bag. The Outside T/H on the console and WL.com at that time was 80°/42%.  Now, an hour later, the console is 84°/36% and WL.com is 91°/31.3.  Does this make sense to anyone??

Update II: WLL seemed to accurately and quickly reflect the outcome caused by placing a plastic bag over the ISS.  The temperature has shot up 15 degrees and the humidity has dropped 14% in 90 minutes while the console has barely moved. It would seem possible or likely that the two devices (the Davis 6100 and my VP2 Console) are tied to different ISS's, or that my console is just wanky.  I think mcrossley might be on to something, so I'll try to figure out how to change the transmitter ID's and see what comes of it. If that doesn't work, I'll reset the console.

Update III: Per mcrossley's suggestion, I changed the transmitter ID of the ISS to 3 and then changed my console and WLL to reflect the new ID.  As of this point, the two are tracking exactly the same for TEMP OUT, HUM OUT and THW INDEX.  Now I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't go off the rails in the morning.  \:D/

Final Update:
As of this morning, all readings are tracking the same on both my WLL and my VP2 Console, TEMP OUT, HUM OUT and THW (HEAT) INDEX.  Thank you all for your time and guidance!

mcrossley:
Is there another Davis station nearby and you are picking up two different transmitters?

TraderGary:
The weatherlink.com update frequency is once a minute.
Internet response time can also be effected by the routing that your Internet connection uses.

The VP2 Console temperature updates directly from the ISS every 10 seconds.

If you have the Davis Weatherlink Live 6100, the app for both iOS and Android also updates temperature every 10 seconds.

syvalley:

--- Quote from: mcrossley on April 30, 2021, 03:49:27 PM ---Is there another Davis station nearby and you are picking up two different transmitters?

--- End quote ---

Interesting idea, how would I know?  And everything seems to be lined up again at this point, Temp., THW Index and Outside Hum, but that could still be the outcome of another nearby station I suppose. Maybe I'll throw a garbage bag over the station and see if that sends the numbers in a different direction.  I don't know what direction, but it should be apparent if it's affecting my station.

Thanks!

syvalley:

--- Quote from: TraderGary on April 30, 2021, 03:50:15 PM ---The weatherlink.com update frequency is once a minute.
Internet response time can also be effected by the routing that your Internet connection uses.

The VP2 Console temperature updates directly from the ISS every 10 seconds.

If you have the Davis Weatherlink Live 6100, the app for both iOS and Android also updates temperature every 10 seconds.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure the additional networking delay could account for a 10 degree difference at a given moment, and if I refresh my WL.com web page, the "Last updated:" time is always current or just one minute behind.

I do have the 6100 and the app - I will check in with it the next time the discrepancies show up.

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version