Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Metar  (Read 776 times)

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Raspberry Pi Metar
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 09:12:28 PM »
That map is actually called a VFR sectional.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Raspberry Pi Metar
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 10:27:53 PM »
That is neat. Description from the creator on what the LEDs indicate:

The map is an FAA sectional map that shows airspaces, routes and notable objects.

Each LED represents an airport weather station called a METAR (Meteorological Automatic Reporting) that updates every 20 minutes or so with comprehensive weather conditions and generates a flying condition code as follows..

VFR - Clear conditions with a high ceiling MVFR - moderately clear conditions but not appropriate for novice pilots IFR - instrument flying only, may not rely solely on visual LIFR - low instrument flight rules.. advanced instruments required for flying

Each LED assigns a color based on the flying condition at it's location.

It also pulsates if wind gusts are over 20 knots and will flash white I'd lightning is in the vicinity.

I used source code from Prueker on GitHub and made a few modifications to suit my personal tastes. It's basically running python scripts to change the color of the addressable LEDs every five minutes.

Then says that a follow post will be made with instructions (posted 10 hours ago):
A bunch of people asked so I'm going to work on creating a post to detail it for you guys. It's really not that hard in the grand scheme, just be familiar with the command line interface and a basic knowledge of simple programming.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole