Author Topic: Dyna Glo 50,000 btu kerosene heater problem  (Read 4603 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Dyna Glo 50,000 btu kerosene heater problem
« on: May 07, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »
This will strain the breadth of experience of the membership here, but there is little other place to try to ask.

Background:  Two years ago I bought (from a big Midwestern DIY chain called Menards) a Dyna Glo 50,000 BTU kerosene heater to warm my old John Deere snowthrower so it will start).  Right after I got it, of course, there was little snow and cold weather,  End result, I didn't use the heater for more than 20 minutes while under warrantee.  And once you put kerosene in it, they don't want it back in the store.  So now I have a heater that doesn't work as described below, and my attempts to fix it.  I do believe it is fixable, based on one of the truly bizarre things I'll describe.

Here goes with the description.  Tank 1/2 full of fresh fuel.  This model has no pressure readout but one would assume it was adjusted at the factory.  Turn it on, the igniter starts to click, the fuel pressurization starts, fan comes on and it fires.  In about 30 to 45 seconds but sometimes two minutes or so, it just shuts down, even though flaming.  I took the upper protective hood off which covers the fan, the burner and hot parts.  The filter seems to be good.  The photoelectric eye is clean and aligned with the manual's recommendation.  All wires solid on the electronics circuit board, and the igniter seems to not only spark while getting ready to start, but looks clean (after all the thing hasn't run a total of an hour yet.)  I've had one of these as an older model crack the fuel hose and I fixed that by replacing it with a neoprene or silicon fuel-approved hose, but all hoses are looking good and no kinks or cracks.

Now starts the odd part:  Before going to put all the screws back that hold the top half of the protective shell over the fan and burner chamber, so I figure what the heck, I'll fire it up.  On it comes and ten minutes later still running strong.  OK, don't know what I did, but maybe dusting the lens of the electric eye (shows my age, doesn't it?) or reseating the wires and plugs did something but thank goodness it is fixed.  After it cools, I reattach the hood, fire it up and the darn thing quits in 20 seconds or less.  Shucks.  Pull the top off again, fire it up bare and voila, runs as long as I want to burn kerosene.  OK, I'm going to trick this little beast and while running I sneak up on it and slowly lower the top in place to avoid hitting hot parts and using the fan as a saw.  Zippo, it dies within 10 seconds of lowering the top on.  OK, even though there isn't a pressure gauge (and yet the manual gives very precise expected pressure for it to run, I'm at a loss to figure out how in the world the average person is supposed to set that range) I figure it is not getting enough fuel when the airflow is higher when the fan's total output is blowing through the combustion chamber, and without the hood on some air is exiting the wind tunnel before it gets into the burner.  Seems reasonable.  But no amount of adjusting of the pressure regulator screw will make any difference in longevity of the burn with the top is set back in place.

So far I've not been able to get a hold of anyone in their customer service area to see if I can get any guidance at all.  I love a good mystery, but so far I cannot explain this crazy thing's behavior.

Anyone with a mechanical bent to their mind have any ideas?  Of course the one thing I would like to do is set the fuel pump regulator pressure (my original unit had a gauge on it for this purpose but the $2.00 part must have been too expensive to use on more recent models, I guess.

I'm all ears.   Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Dyna Glo 50,000 btu kerosene heater problem
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 02:43:49 AM »
This is a different model but similar symptoms.  Maybe fuel pressure you said no gauge on this unit however.  May need 3.5 psi reading on Amazon thread. Doesn't always fix problem, however.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232211

Here are some reviews on amazon. Sounds like many have had a similar issue when first started running fine but next time only a few minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-KFA50DGD-Kerosene-Forced-Heater/product-reviews/B0044R8Y3K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_next_2?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=2
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:01:02 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 05:40:18 PM »
DaleReid I have a different model than your and had a similar problem about 5 years ago . Mine has a small LED on the panel and if I remember right it showed a E-2 code . Mine was the over temp sensor went out . After a couple of minutes or less it would shut down due to it thinking it was over heating . I took it to a guy I know who fixed it so I have no idea exactly what he replaced .  I also stopped running kerosene and use mine with nothing but diesel now . Mine has the small pressure gauge  at the back and Ive never touched that . I don't know on your model where the overheat sensor is but they are important just like a thermocouple on a gas heater or dyer .

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 09:17:35 PM »
Thanks for the hints, everyone.
There was a lot in one of the threads about the pressure setting being critical, along with cleaning the nozzel even if it doesn't look bad.

I'm trying to track down a pressure gauge to make sure I'm in the ballpark because I can see how it would certainly affect the flame, sort of like a jet engine without proper metering.

With almost zilch to go on, and unable to yet find a local resource to work on it, I'm trying to do a few simple things.

I appreciate the history and insight you guys shared.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline rdsman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 01:21:15 PM »
Maybe by removing the top cover you are reducing the heat build up inside the unit.  If that is the case, the over temp sensor can be tested easily.  This sensor is a bi-metallic switch that is either on or off - there is no other state.  It could be normally on and switch off when the temperature rating is reached.  Or it could be the other way around - normally off.  You could test it with an ohmmeter, if you have one.  You can unplug the two wires from it and plug them together and then see if the heater will run with the top on.  If it will not run at all, unplug the two wires from each other and try again.  A simple test with no equipment required.

Just a thought!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 01:35:14 PM by rdsman »
Ray

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 02:50:49 PM »
Yes, a nice thought.  I still have most of it apart on my shop bench, so it will be easy to see if the temp sensor is no or nc.

I took absolutely everything else apart, with the fuel filter open (and impossible to find, so far, locally, to replace).  The igniter tips are clean and the fuel nozzle is clean and open to passage of air.  the hoses are tight and no sign of crack.

This unit does not have a pressure gauge so I'm hoping to find one cheap enough on line to order (again, nothing at all local).

Today I adjusted the pressure setting screw a little at a time, and again only runs for maybe 5 seconds with the top off, and nothing so far really has gotten beyond warm, so I'm not sure the switch is the culprit, bur could be with just flakey operation.

I'll try the switch trick you told me about.

Again, thanks.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 09:52:39 AM »
I have had similar problems with other items that work when in a state of semi-disassembly, yet keep crapping out when put back together.

Is the cover/case torquing something out of shape? Is something making contact when assembled (pinching/shorting/crimping)?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »
Greg,
The eight screws that hold the top part on the shell assembly were a bit of a pain, so after putting it back together the first time it ran (who wants that spinning fan, aka finger remover, open to the environment, I found it ran again topless, I figured I'd trick it and just set the top on, no screws, less than a pound in weight.  Started but wouldn't run.  Pulled top up a few inches, started and kept running, and gently, while it wasn't suspecting, I set the top back in place and Poof, out she went.

Definitely something to do with the increased airflow, I'm thinking, and I still haven't checked the thermal cutout just to make sure it isn't a bad switch somehow.

Don't you just love mysterious things?  I can't imagine trying to test something remotely like NASA does with an 'identical' setup to reproduce problems.

I appreciate every suggestion and thought I get.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 11:29:35 AM »
Greg,
The eight screws that hold the top part on the shell assembly were a bit of a pain, so after putting it back together the first time it ran (who wants that spinning fan, aka finger remover, open to the environment, I found it ran again topless, I figured I'd trick it and just set the top on, no screws, less than a pound in weight.  Started but wouldn't run.  Pulled top up a few inches, started and kept running, and gently, while it wasn't suspecting, I set the top back in place and Poof, out she went.

Definitely something to do with the increased airflow, I'm thinking, and I still haven't checked the thermal cutout just to make sure it isn't a bad switch somehow.

Don't you just love mysterious things?  I can't imagine trying to test something remotely like NASA does with an 'identical' setup to reproduce problems.

I appreciate every suggestion and thought I get.
Dale

Is there some kind of filter that might be clogged up, and the cover off allows more air in?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 11:36:35 AM »
This thing isn't even dusty yet!  Yes, I did look at the back where a big plastic grill is in place, not a spider web to be found.  Inside there is the fan, and then a few inches of clear space and then the injector/ignitor/photocell/overtemp sensors.  I have had that all apart checking the components and wiped everything grandma-clean, so I can't see there is any restriction in airflow.

One heater I used to have did indeed have a thin black foam over the plastic grill, and fortunately was easy to remove and blow off the dust when needed.

Still trying to figure this one out.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 01:03:26 PM »
I'm thinking a photo-eye issue from this top response they had a bunch of bad units go out and were sending replacement photo-eyes out.  May work when cover is off because the flame looks different.

At the bottom is a contact number and email.

Lauren Patterson 1 year ago
I have bought 4 of the 220btu and 2 160000 btu heaters and nothing but good luck as we use them daily in the winter months. I had bought 2 more of the big ones and did not unbox them until this winter and they would not do anything but blow smoke. I did contact customer service and they sent me 2 new photo eyes and said they did have a batch of heaters that they had problems with but I can not put them out on a job site because they may or may not fire. I learned a lesson to get them out of the box when I get them to make sure they work instead of waiting until I need them. I have had relly good service out of all the ones I have other then these 2 though.

Mike M.  2 years ago
I have the same issue with mine. Purchased 11/2016 used it once for 5 hours. drained it in spring. now January of 2018 filled it with kerosene will not run for more than a min. replaced filters, checked pump pressure, cleaned everything. Junk unit.
Leave a reply

GHP Group IncMANUFACTURER  2 years ago

Hello Snowdogs, we're terribly sorry to hear you have experienced an issue with this heater. Our Technical Support Team is happy to assist you with assessing and resolving the problem! Just reach out by phone at 877-447-4768 or email here: http://www.ghpgroupinc.com/CTUS.html
-GHP Group Customer Support

Randy

Offline TommyT

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 06:21:34 PM »
Hi Dale,

I just ran across your post (by googly chance), and seeing as youre from my old stomping grounds (go packers!) I registered to let you know I am 98% certain what your heater issue is. If you still follow this thread and want my 0.02 feel free to email me (I opted-in for that option upon registration).

Regards & greetings to all in my homeland WI. . .from NYC/Catskills,

-TommyT-

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 07:23:40 PM »
Hi, and yes it is still Packer Land despite Rodger's snit about playing for his measly salary.

I'll email you , but in case others stumble across such, I can report I do NOT have a solution.  During the cooler months I went so far as to obtain a pressure gauge from a working unit, looked up the pressure range that is acceptable (glad they published that, but no longer put a pressure gauge on their shipped heaters, grrrr.) and got it running -- with the top hood off.

All it takes is about a  1/2" of clearance and it still runs, but put the hood down tight, even without securing the screws and it shuts down.

I replaced all the hoses with high quality, non-collapsing silicone hose, and pulled the filter (this was a new unit) and cleaned it after inspecting and finding it to be pristine.

So I have a heater that is not functioning, and will email you to see if you have more suggestions for me to try (I just moved it from a table to the bench to work on something else a few days ago.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline TommyT

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 07:53:38 PM »
Hi Dale, I look forward to your email.

There's a saying - the best place to 'hide' something is in plain sight.  I venture to guess that if your torpedo heater is akin to my three - you don't need a pressure gauge. . .the solution is likely something (per your OP) you've already discovered  :)

-TT- 

anything