Author Topic: Barani pro passive shield  (Read 39673 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Barani pro passive shield
« Reply #275 on: February 26, 2020, 04:52:50 PM »
I wouldn't go to any extra expense if you don't already have the equipment unless you were planning on expanding and a passive shield was something you wanted to try. My goal is to switch over completely if testing continues to look good.
Yeah, all I have is my lone VP2. I'd love to give it a whirl, but I'm of complete mindset anyway with the climate here, I'd stick with my case fan setup. Another reason I'd stick with my fan is bugs, never have a problem, too inhospitable. Can't go wrong there no matter what...as long as it's running.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #276 on: February 26, 2020, 04:54:49 PM »
Well i need to put in my two cents worth, I am testing the new pro against the Davis fars and the Barani standard shield. All three are co-located on a tower in an open field over grass and the three sensors have compared to each other within a few tenths of a degree using a certified temperature meter accurate to +/- .3 degrees. The two passives shields are sht15's and the fars is a new sht31. The new pro has really been doing a great job in very light winds, but like Randy i am waiting for the long time calm wind and sunshine to reach a final result and the weather guys are predicting tomorrow to be calm to very light winds and sunny so should finally get the last conditions necessary to see how well the new pro really works. Now all i have to do is hope for once the weather guys are right  :lol:.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #277 on: February 26, 2020, 05:49:26 PM »
Here are a couple of SHT31 sensors I trimmed down. These fit just fine inside the shield without touching.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

What did you use to make it a “probe” without the sensor sliding out of the shield?

I just noticed this question sorry for the delay in answer. I use a piece of 1/4" pvc (hardware store) mounts through the opening with the sensor resting on. The mounting clamp holds the PVC so you can adjust sensor height depending on how long the pvc is. 
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #278 on: February 26, 2020, 08:20:23 PM »
Unless I'm not seeing something, looks pretty good!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #279 on: February 26, 2020, 08:29:26 PM »
I think so too. Little less wind would be nice. I forgot to add this was a sunny day Max solar hit 750 W/m2.

Update:
I removed the graph above because the 31 was reading low I discovered this after running a new sensor to the FARS shield.
I thought something was amiss because the FARS was running lower even at night so after changing the sensor confirmed. This means the PRO performed even better than indicated on the graph.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 05:57:11 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2020, 08:35:35 AM »
The more the merrier  :-)
I read about the Apogee ts100 use at some of the remote research stations,  they are considered very good because of the low solar power needed for fan aspiration.  I just couldn't figure out how to get the Davis sensor inside because of size.
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2020, 08:42:12 AM »
The more the merrier  :-)
I read about the Apogee ts100 use at some of the remote research stations,  they are considered very good because of the low solar power needed for fan aspiration.  I just couldn't figure out how to get the Davis sensor inside because of size.

Thanks, I will not insert a davis sensor but a sht35 probe like this

the dimension is correct for to insert in the Apogee ts100 port

sorry for my english

Mauro

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #282 on: March 01, 2020, 02:22:04 AM »
Still waiting for a sunny low less than 5 mph wind day. We had a very warm day for Feb. Here is what I'm seeing with the new Pro vs Davis FARS. Using 2 new sht-75 sensors matching. I didn't have the solar graphing the full day but you can see a few high thin clouds. Included the wind speed graph showing average wind speed. The reason I separated the graphs is for a better temperature graph with more detail.
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #283 on: March 08, 2020, 09:37:16 AM »
Not very good days, windy and few clouds, but this the result of today

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Bgt passive solar professional radiation shield with sensirion sht30 (yellow line)
Meteoshield pro wh31 with sensirion sht30 (blue line)
Meteoshield pro with external sht35 sensor (red line)

This the setup of Meteoshield, BGT has same height, same exposure, and 2,5 mt of distance
every sensors was tested and matched in range -10/+40° C

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Mauro

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #284 on: March 08, 2020, 11:38:22 AM »
Still, haven't had the dead still wind but yesterday before noon we had some sub 3 mph wind and saw little difference Pro vs FARS. The high and lows differences are within sensor error. Another peak solar day around 740 W/m2, unfortunately, the wind has been up during those peak solar periods.

mauro63 what shield is the BGT?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:42:21 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline Jasper3012

« Reply #285 on: March 08, 2020, 04:17:59 PM »
I wish I had the time to read through this thread but I don't, so I'm just going to ask my question here:

How does the Barani MeteoShield Pro compare at night to the Davis FARS? Is it much less responsive to rapid cooling than the Davis FARS or not? I currently have a Davis DFARS and I'm thinking about replacing the shield with a Barani if it's more responsive at night (Davis DFARS can be over 1-1-1.5°C milder than a more responsive shield during rapid cooling) and roughly the same result by day.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #286 on: March 08, 2020, 04:41:44 PM »
I am running my new pro instead of the fars, i find it more consistent in my readings and the new one has been doing real well with low wind speeds of 1 to 3 mph. I have not had a chance to see how it does in calm winds, i just don't get calm winds where i live for any good length of time. I might get calm for 10 to 20 minutes then the wind will pick up lightly and maybe go back to calm again. The main thing to consider is the Davis sensor will not fit in the shield without cutting it down to size or using an sht75 with a small filter. You can not use any sensor that will disrupt the airflow inside the shield, this will cause errors in the readings. I make up my own sensors to be as small as possible to overcome this problem.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #287 on: March 08, 2020, 04:46:37 PM »
Still, haven't had the dead still wind but yesterday before noon we had some sub 3 mph wind and saw little difference Pro vs FARS. The high and lows differences are within sensor error. Another peak solar day around 740 W/m2, unfortunately, the wind has been up during those peak solar periods.

mauro63 what shield is the BGT?

HI,
BGT is a professional Chinese solar radiation shield, not expensive and, after my first tests, not better than a commercial solar radiation shield like Davis 7714 or worse ;)
I think I will replace it tomorrow with a real professional passive solar radiation shield, Comet f8110

I have one of this shield, and I'm working to fix the sensor

Mauro

Offline Jasper3012

« Reply #288 on: March 08, 2020, 04:56:32 PM »
I am running my new pro instead of the fars, i find it more consistent in my readings and the new one has been doing real well with low wind speeds of 1 to 3 mph. I have not had a chance to see how it does in calm winds, i just don't get calm winds where i live for any good length of time. I might get calm for 10 to 20 minutes then the wind will pick up lightly and maybe go back to calm again. The main thing to consider is the Davis sensor will not fit in the shield without cutting it down to size or using an sht75 with a small filter. You can not use any sensor that will disrupt the airflow inside the shield, this will cause errors in the readings. I make up my own sensors to be as small as possible to overcome this problem.
So it's not an option then, that's a real shame. Barani itself seems to suggest otherwise though, your thoughts?

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #290 on: March 08, 2020, 05:07:57 PM »
You can make it fit but it has been found to disrupt the internal air circulation and you lose the advantage of the design of the shield. I have not tried putting a regular sensor in a pro but it might work better if you replace that big filter with the factory sf2 filter which just fits the sht31 sensor, that would remove a lot of blockage. I have a new 31 that i have been thinking about cutting down in size, it has the sf2 filter on it, i might just try it in the shield before i reduce the size of it to see how it responds, could be interesting to try.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #291 on: March 08, 2020, 05:28:58 PM »
You can make it fit but it has been found to disrupt the internal air circulation and you lose the advantage of the design of the shield. I have not tried putting a regular sensor in a pro but it might work better if you replace that big filter with the factory sf2 filter which just fits the sht31 sensor, that would remove a lot of blockage. I have a new 31 that i have been thinking about cutting down in size, it has the sf2 filter on it, i might just try it in the shield before i reduce the size of it to see how it responds, could be interesting to try.

I agree, but, believe me, meteoshield pro performances are very good also with a big sensor
I'm testing two meteoshield pro, in one of them there is a sht35 probe with 25mm diameter, the other with ecowitt wh31, sensirion sht30 in standard version

today results, comparing to bgt solar radiation shied

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
sorry for my poor english

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #292 on: March 08, 2020, 05:48:39 PM »
Ok i took one for the team and voided the warranty on my new 31. I cut the goop off of the cable so i could fold it over like in the instructions and i did not do anything to the board itself. I am using the small factory filter is the only thing different. Now i will compare it to the other readings i got with the small sensor and it will really show up when the wind gets real low if it had any bad affects on the readings.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #293 on: March 08, 2020, 05:57:31 PM »
Yeah, mauro63 I wouldn't bother testing the BTG. Rather see the 7714 in the test.

Jasper3012 the thread has evolved to the newer Meteoshield pro. They added more black material for reflection and changed the plastic composition with the new version. From what I can tell it runs very close to the Davis FARS without the headache of fan and solar panel. Bugs will get into these shields however the FARS tend to keep them away.

Still inconclusive how the New PRO does in dead air over time say 30+ minutes vs FARS. From what I'm seeing with 1-2 mph breeze it looks good vs FARS.   
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #294 on: March 08, 2020, 06:03:39 PM »
Still inconclusive how the New PRO does in dead air over time say 30+ minutes vs FARS. From what I'm seeing with 1-2 mph breeze it looks good vs FARS.
Would it be reasonably possible to bring both shields inside and put something like flood or spot light on the two? You certainly could get calm wind inside. Maybe even a fan way back to simulate a light breeze as well if you wanted.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #295 on: March 08, 2020, 06:09:27 PM »
Would it be reasonably possible to bring both shields inside and put something like flood or spot light on the two? You certainly could get calm wind inside. Maybe even a fan way back to simulate a light breeze as well if you wanted.

Never really thought of it.  Probably not though because the flood lamp being even slightly off-axis would build more heat on one shield vs the other. I'll just wait for mother nature.   :-)
Randy

Offline Jasper3012

« Reply #296 on: March 08, 2020, 06:11:32 PM »
Yeah, mauro63 I wouldn't bother testing the BTG. Rather see the 7714 in the test.

Jasper3012 the thread has evolved to the newer Meteoshield pro. They added more black material for reflection and changed the plastic composition with the new version. From what I can tell it runs very close to the Davis FARS without the headache of fan and solar panel. Bugs will get into these shields however the FARS tend to keep them away.

Yeah, that's the main thing I want to know, how responsive it is vs FARS in calm conditions at night. That's the reason I might be replacing the Davis DFARS, since it lags behind considerably vs the smaller and more responsive shields of the Vantage Vue & Alecto WS-5500 at night.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 06:17:18 PM by Jasper3012 »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #297 on: March 08, 2020, 06:19:05 PM »

Never really thought of it.  Probably not though because the flood lamp being even slightly off-axis would build more heat on one shield vs the other. I'll just wait for mother nature.   :-)
Oh well. Maybe if you get bored, it'd probably be fun to try..

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #298 on: March 08, 2020, 06:29:46 PM »
The performance of the pro compared to the fars at night has been nearly the same, we do get calm winds here at night. I haven't seen any of the cooling effects at night like a lot of passives get. Right now the pro and the fars are reading the same temperature but we are cloudy so no sun to do any heating.

Offline Jasper3012

« Reply #299 on: March 08, 2020, 06:42:58 PM »
The performance of the pro compared to the fars at night has been nearly the same, we do get calm winds here at night. I haven't seen any of the cooling effects at night like a lot of passives get. Right now the pro and the fars are reading the same temperature but we are cloudy so no sun to do any heating.

Pleased to hear that, should be a lot more responsive than the Davis DFARS. Now that we're approaching the warm season I likely won't get the Barani for the time being, as tmin is not as important to me as it is in winter. I'll likely get it in the autumn to more accurately record temps during a cold night.

anything