Author Topic: WiFi Logger2 - Going Offline Frequently  (Read 5032 times)

Offline TMThomson

• Weather Observer
WiFi Logger2 - Going Offline Frequently
« on: November 01, 2022, 11:44:03 AM »
Hello...

I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless weather station that uses the WiFi Logger2 to send data to the internet. I send data to WU, CWOP, WeatherLink and Met Office WOW. The problem I'm having is that quite routinely (about every 1 to 2 weeks) the WiFi Logger2 stops sending data and I have to press the white reset button to get it running again. I tried turning on the daily auto reset and strangely it seemed to make the issue worse. I don't think it's a WiFi issue. Nothing else goes offline. The other thing I notice is that I often can't access the configuration page even when the data is flowing as it should. The router is a Ubee DVW32CB - maybe a setting on the logger needs to be changed?

Do any of you have any insight into how to resolve this issue?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 07:51:22 PM by TMThomson »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: WiFi Logger2 - Going Offline Frequently
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 06:37:02 PM »
Sounds like a wifi issue. Do any of your other things like smart phone, lap top etc go offline when the logger isn't working.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline TMThomson

• Weather Observer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 08:39:32 AM »
Sounds like a wifi issue. Do any of your other things like smart phone, lap top etc go offline when the logger isn't working.

I'm not sure it's a WiFi issue, since nothing else goes offline. The other thing I notice is that I often can't access the WiFi Logger configuration page even when the data is flowing as it should. The router is a Ubee DVW32CB - maybe a setting on the logger needs to be changed? Or... Perhaps I have a bad WiFi Logger device?

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 11:23:25 AM »
I just had an issue with one of my WiFi Logger2’s. I was unable to communicate with it at all even though it was online and I could ping it using my Fingbox which showed it communicating.
 I had to power down my Vantage Vue by both removing the power supply and batteries and then power it up again. It then connected and I was able to communicate again with the WiFi Logger 2.
 I suggest you power down your Vantage Pro 2 completely. Remove and reinstall your WiFi Logger 2 and power up  your console and see if that solves the problem.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline TMThomson

• Weather Observer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 11:44:40 AM »
Big AlT,

For clarification... just power down the console, remove batteries, remove the logger and plug it back in, then repower. Not reprogram/reconfig the WiFi Logger2 correct?

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 11:47:09 AM »
Correct. The WiFiLogger should retain it’s settings.

Offline TMThomson

• Weather Observer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 11:54:54 AM »
Thanks so much. I'll give that a try.

By the way, I had not heard form WiFiLogger in a while, but just received an email from Wojtek and he stated that he is doing some cleaning up on the WiFi Logger code and will be making some improvements. Not sure when the next firmware update is coming out though. He's thinking his changes might solve this issue
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 11:58:34 AM by TMThomson »

Offline TMThomson

• Weather Observer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 09:26:29 PM »
BigAlT,

I gave your recommendation a try. It seems as though the WiFi Logger was not seated as firmly as it should have been. Now time will tell if this makes a difference. Thank you!

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 01:05:54 PM »
I am going to add in an experience I had the previous couple of days with the WFL 2. I operate two weather stations - one at my home (WFL 1) and the other at our cabin in the mountains a couple of hours away. Last Saturday, I got a "transmission interruption" email from one of the sites I upload to for our cabin station that runs the WFL 2. I usually ignore because it is likely a power outage which happens several times a year up there. This time, however, the power came back on but the transmission did not resume. I thought it might have been an issue with the console because some of the cameras were working. A couple of them were not. To make a long story short, the router was power-cycled and the transmission restarted, along with the cameras that were previously not working. Might be a good idea to restart the router every once in a while to refresh the communication between the logger and router.
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline TMThomson

• Weather Observer
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 01:23:46 PM »
The interesting part is that nothing else seems to be losing connection. There shouldn't be a reception issue either since the console is about 2 feet from the router. I did try to power down and remove the WFL2 and reinstall it. I must not have had it firmly seated the first time because removal was quite easy. After reseating it it was pretty snug - took more effort to remove it. Hopefully that was a contributing factor. Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll post again on whether or not the issue is resolved.

Offline TMThomson

• Weather Observer
Re: WiFi Logger2 - Going Offline Frequently - Update
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 01:51:15 PM »
Quick update on my WiFi Logger2 issue...

WiFiLogger (Wojtek) sent me a firmware update (2.43g - I think it's still beta) and it seems to have properly addressed the frequent dropping off (or going into hung mode). I have it in power save mode (which we thought may have been a factor, but it wasn't.) and it isn't set for daily auto resetting either. It's been operating well since Thursday, so hoping this continues.  [tup] I'll keep you posted.

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 08:51:53 AM »
I assume you haven't been having any more trouble since there have been no additional posts.

I have been having similar problems but maybe more extreme? My logger goes down for days at a time, then is online for days. No issues with other devices when the logger is down, definitely not a wifi issue.

I see there is a 2.41 firmware update but not 2.43. Do you know how I might get 2.43? Or should I just try the 2.41?

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 10:02:17 AM »
I had problems in the past with my WiFiLogger 1 but so far it has worked solidly. It would do the same as yours. The main thing I did was set a fixed IP address at the logger and disable the auto restart. This cleared up the offline problem pretty much. The rest of my problems were crappy DSL modems sent to me by my provider. I have since put in a Netgear wireless router so if the DSL modem drops everything stays connected to the Netgear until the modem comes back up.

While some have fixed the Mac/IP address at their modem/router it worked better to have it's own fixed IP when I went through 2 weeks of DSL problems and CenturyLink Brightspeed had me doing multiple resets to "help" them identify the problem (it's always been bad phone lines and they tried to blame me for over usage).

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 12:45:52 PM »
I see there is a 2.41 firmware update but not 2.43. Do you know how I might get 2.43? Or should I just try the 2.41?

Turns out I am already on 2.41

I tried the power down, remove batteries and logger then starting back up (turned out to be several hours because I didn't have any C batteries on hand). Online ATM, guess we'll see what happens.

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2023, 08:30:46 PM »
I frequently cannot connect to one of my two WFL2s. Both are installed in Vantage Vues and connected to the same wifi network. It’s still sending data to the weather networks. I have to push the white button to access it again. Both are on firmware 2.41.

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 08:10:20 AM »
Mine is not sending data to the weather sites.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 02:46:12 PM »
Sorry. I do not have time today to read full threads.
I asume that you all have issue with hanged WFL2.

Now I know what cause, why after 4 days WiFiLogger is stop working.
PING librarary, which I am using to test Internet connection. WFL is pinging router and 8.8.8.8 google DNS server to check if internet connection is ok.
So PING library had bug, which is not giving back memory after using it.
After 4 days RAM memory is drained.
I had to make some test features in WFL to find it. Before that I have made function AUTO REBOOT AT. Which was helping users.

I have repaired that, but I am in the middle of making new firmware. And new firmware will have new structure. Using TASKs and COREs WFL2 is double core MCU.
I have started to make function to save datalogger data to SD card.
And new things are not finished yet. I cant say when I will have it done :(

Maybe some users could test for a few days this version from attachment?
Then I could publish it and return to remaking firmware.

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2023, 08:17:33 PM »
I have installed 2.42c on both my WiFi Logger 2. Had to try the install three times on one of my WFL2 before it successfully installed. The other WFL2 installed on the first try. So far they are both working fine.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2023, 02:38:24 AM »
I have installed 2.42c on both my WiFi Logger 2. Had to try the install three times on one of my WFL2 before it successfully installed. The other WFL2 installed on the first try. So far they are both working fine.

If you put SD card formated to FAT32, then It should start to log CSV file. This is not finished feature, but something is working.
This operation is being made once per day. After midnight.

Another feature which users might to like is SSDP Simple Service Discovery Protocol  - when you click on Network icon in Windows, then you should see discovered devices in network like printers, TVs and now WiFiLogger :)

Offline NormEmerges

• Epping Weather
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2023, 05:46:18 AM »
I'm also experiencing this phantom dropout once or twice a week. As with the original poster, just press the reset button and it's fine again. At least it carries on logging and doesn't lose data! I await confirmation of the firmware update to apply with anticipation!

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2023, 11:10:33 AM »
I installed the “ fix “ from WiFi Logger he has a link to in his post advising us of the coming update two weeks ago and since then have had no further drop outs. Just download it and do a manual update using it as the source.

Offline NormEmerges

• Epping Weather
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2023, 04:15:33 AM »
Great, I'll give it a try. Have not updated firmware v2 before, can someone point me at the instructions for this?

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2023, 05:29:10 AM »
Go to Setup/System.

Tap the "show local firmware update" button and it  will expand to select local file.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2023, 09:34:52 PM »
I had to make some test features in WFL to find it. Before that I have made function AUTO REBOOT AT. Which was helping users.
Maybe some users could test for a few days this version from attachment?
Then I could publish it and return to remaking firmware.

I have installed the test version and removed the Reboot at
No issues in a few days. Will report back after it has run for 7 days.
Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24hr FARS, WLL

Offline NormEmerges

• Epping Weather
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2023, 02:52:00 AM »
I installed the trial release of firmware and a week later it is still running without problems. Thanks to all for your help and advice, hopefully it's fixed.

anything