Author Topic: Occasional Very High VP2 Rainfall Measurement Errors  (Read 850 times)

Offline schwab

Occasional Very High VP2 Rainfall Measurement Errors
« on: June 11, 2022, 10:53:14 AM »
Our South Florida VP2 weather station https://www.leisure-gardens.com is located atop a 5 story building on a 5 ft PVC pipe.

It has the current tipping spoon rainfall measuring mechanism. The VP2 rainfall collecting bucket is the Aerocone 6464 gauge.

The problem: Occasionally the rainfall measured will be extraordinarily high...  i.e. 50"-120" within 24 hrs!. Once discovered these high rainfalls are corrected using the editor in our Weathercat V3.13 software.

:?

The bucket has not been plugged. High winds may cause a minimal sway of the VP2 station as the PVC pipe is not as stiff as a metal pole...but a metal pole might attract lightning which is why the VP2 is mounted atop a PVC pipe.

Have any VP2 users encountered similar erroneous extraordinarily high rainfalls...and was the cause discovered and corrected?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 11:03:38 AM by schwab »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: Occasional Very High VP2 Rainfall Measurement Errors
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 08:37:40 PM »
Lightning doesn't care if it is metal, wood, plastic, or a paper towel roll. Ever see photos of trees split wide open from Lightning?

Swaying on a floppy plastic pole can't be a good thing. Im not sure if a spoon trips and makes reading like see-saw or not.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 09:49:51 PM »
Swaying on a floppy plastic pole can't be a good thing. Im not sure if a spoon trips and makes reading like see-saw or not.
I wouldn't think that even the floppiest pole could account for 5000-12,000 tips , in a 24hr period. I have no idea how the new Davis tipper counts, but if it's like the old reed switch or something similar, this is almost surely a short. Each time it does short, which is basically continuous when doing so, counts as a tip.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 10:23:10 AM »
Recently had an issue with overcount. Turns out water was getting into the ISS compartment and getting into the jack where it connects to the board. Fixed the leak and the problem went away.
Just something else to check.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline drew1021

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 06:13:36 AM »
Recently had an issue with overcount. Turns out water was getting into the ISS compartment and getting into the jack where it connects to the board. Fixed the leak and the problem went away.

Same thing happened to me. Same fix.
VP2 with 24 hour FARS. WU: KNCLEWIS2. CWOP/APRS: DW4712, COCORAHS: NC-FR-7

Offline wxman91

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 09:57:45 PM »

Another vote for this one. 

Offline ReachELS

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 06:57:51 PM »
New to the forum - it is good to have a place to go with issues.

My 10-year old Vantage Pro 2 has faithfully served me for over 10 years...until today.

As the OP mentioned, I suddenly have recorded over 118" of rain over the past 24 hours.  Based on the responses, I have two simple questions:

1.  What is the easiest way to fix the leak? Is there a gasket involved or should I come up with a DIY solution?
2.  I would like to correct the data...The OP mentioned Weathercat V3.13 software which appears to be a Mac application.  I (of course) do not have a Mac and instead run Windows.  Is there a comparable PC-editor which would allow me to edit out the erroneous data?

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 07:12:28 PM »
The ISS covers can warp and get crumbly in the sun and gasket can dry out for sure.

Check the condition. Replacement cover is not too much.  Check the condition  of components inside.

Put some DC-4 or the like on new seal to keep soft and help the seal.

Offline ReachELS

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 08:30:15 PM »
I pulled the cover and found the inside of the ISS to be bone-dry.  Actually a tad dusty. 

The gasket on mine is is actually on the base unit, not on the cover.  but I don't think it is the gasket based on what I saw.

Chatted with Davis CS...they offered to swap the base unit out for $70+shipping.

Heading to the UK tomorrow for 2 weeks...if I come home and the see more erroneous readings, I just might do that.