Author Topic: Have equipment, up and running on WU, need advice...  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Popper

Have equipment, up and running on WU, need advice...
« on: February 26, 2022, 04:19:52 PM »
Hey Folks:
So, my ultimate goal is to have a web based weather site with web cam using IPTimelapse that friends, family or anyone for that matter can access...some day!
With your advice, my set-up so far is Davis Vantage Pro2, Weatherlink Live, Meteobridge, Foscam G4...all set up and running except for the web cam. Web Cam FTP/URL has been a bit of a hurdle for me...I can get around a computer but most everyone on this site seems to write code???
My plan was to start with WU (which is currently up and running) and build from there, but with Cam's gone I need new direction. What is next best established site to use that hosts cams?
I live on the water with lots of boaters so the web cam will be great fun during the summer months and watching weather year round.
So, I guess I'm looking for next best site to establish myself on?
HELP!!! Advice, next steps, find a new hobby???  :roll:
Best,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 05:08:02 PM by Popper »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: Have equipment, up and running on WU, need advice...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 07:27:40 PM »
I run my webcam through the Meteobridge and it is posted on Ambient directly and I sniff the URL for my own site.

You can see a time lapse of 24 hours on my Ambient page.

There was no code really other than a little line of "script" I suppose you call it to get the weather data overlay. It is all done within Meteobridge and my W34 site just accesses the URL of the cam images.

See my signature for links.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 07:32:25 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
    • Willowsford Farm Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 07:41:11 AM »
I just setup my webcam this week and posted a rather long "tutorial" (https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=6370) on how I set it up with IPTimelapse that includes how to find the URL of the camera. My webcam is here: https://novawx.dscloud.me/wxcam.php. My weather website is hosted on my Synology NAS server but there are webhosting sites you can use (Ionos is what I used before moving to my NAS). A good place to start building your website is to download the templates from Ken at Saratoga Weather (https://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/index.php). If you don't have your own weather website, try using the option in IPTimelapse to send your weather cam videos to YouTube under the Settings -> Streaming tab. See attached screen shot of that tab.

Offline Popper

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 10:49:32 AM »
Guys...can't thank you enough, you have rejuvenated my efforts.  @davidmc36 love the simple first steps to get some satisfaction and @weatherdoc for my future efforts!!!
I'm sure I will reaching out again for some direction on these steps.
Thanks again,
Chris

Offline Popper

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 04:42:54 PM »
So, in MeteoBridge, under cam I assume I am going with external picture and entering IP of my cam? Also, Ambient indicates URL will not do time lapse? I have a green check mark in MeteoBridge but nothing showing in Ambient.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 03:04:32 AM »
This is my URL: http://192.168.2.19:88/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=Weather&pwd=XXXXXXXX

Then the FTP settings get it to Ambient.

ftp.ambientweather.net    and your user and password.

It will take some time for the cam to show up on Ambient.  There is some vetting to do. You have the choice to.make it public  or not. Mine is public and when I go to it there is a 24 hr time lapse to view.

anything