Author Topic: Lightning report in Washington Post, and a link to the Vaisala LDN summary  (Read 1713 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
I'm not sure if this article is open to all to read, or only the subscribers, but here goes:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2022/01/08/lightning-strikes-most-us-2021/

and a link to the Vaisala Lightning Detection Network Annual summary

https://www.vaisala.com/en/annual-lightning-report

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Is that the one that mentions some number of millions strikes?  Do they not cover the western states very well?  Or are the few strikes out west just more likely to start wild fires?  Imagine if the west showed as many strikes as the south.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
I haven't studied all the stuff yet, but they did  note that 2019 and 2020 had a very low number due to lack of monsoon (non-soon) and when we get strikes up here in the considerably more moist midwest, fires are very rare except in the spring when things are very dry.

I don't think their network misses any strikes.

I'm not sure if the users over at Blitzortung can produce such a map as this or not.  Years ago I saw some impressive data presentations from those who know how to access the strike archives, and while Blitz doesn't count all strikes, they are pretty uniform and consistant.
Dale

Maybe Cutty Sark Sailor or Greg or one of the other regulars have access to do this?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
The clusters just don't make sense.  Why so few in the FL Keys?  Why are the FL panhandle, AL coast and LA islands so dark compared to the south LA inland?  Why the clusters around central MI, central TN, the CO/NE line, St. Louis and a few other metro areas?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 04:36:50 PM by WeatherHost »

anything