Author Topic: What's the generic name for small short range microwave links?  (Read 605 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
What's the generic name for small short range microwave links?
« on: December 31, 2021, 11:07:42 PM »
A few years ago I recall reading about several companies which made small short-haul microwave links that were pretty easy to set up and relatively low cost.

I cannot find my notes on those, and wonder if anyone here has used any of these and if so, can give me the name to go looking for some info to evaluate, and opinions on how well they work, cost, etc.

I'm helping evaluate a weather station installation at a small grass strip airport where the distance is far too great to bury the multi conductor cables that would needed to carry all the sensor stuff from the preferred sensor location spot on field.  I know I could get a long range Rainwise station, or even a Davis with range extenders, but I was thinking of using some various sensors we have, pulling them into a Campbell Scientific data logger and sending that to the little club house where it could be done with as the pilots wanted to display or make available to them.

Too darned cold to do anything but plan it a bit to see if it is even feasible, but the long cable runs pretty much rule out that approach, having something like 800' or so to go.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
Re: What's the generic name for small short range microwave links?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 01:12:22 AM »
Might want to look into a LoRaWAN.

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 04:14:08 AM »
Ubiquiti

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 06:56:00 AM »
Do you have power at the remote site? If so how about plain old WiFi - with the right directional antennas I believe you can get anywhere from 500m to 15km range out of them?
Mark