Author Topic: Weatherlink from WIFI to Ethernet  (Read 693 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Weatherlink from WIFI to Ethernet
« on: September 24, 2021, 05:23:10 PM »
I am redoing my wifi in the house, trying to eliminate all those non essential things so I can speed up transmissions in the house. So far I have got rid of 2 IP cameras and another on Monday depending on how the water on the floor sensor works. I have also put my iMac onEthernet and it really flies faster than if by the wifi.   

that being said,  I have a weatherlink live unit on wifi, but I see that I could send the data via ethernet instead, with two advantages, one the wifi thing and not dropping signal as it does now and then. Plus I have a linkysys switch  2 feet away for other things, but avail port.

Question, do I have to go through the setup process as before but this time using it as ethernet instead of wifi, or can I just plug it in.  Doesn't seem right to do as there is not the control that way.   OR do I delete the station and the do the ethernet setup and start over.      Normal people do not do this,  I am not normal people as many here know well.  The hazards of being retired, with too much free time on my hands.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
Re: Weatherlink from WIFI to Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 05:47:42 PM »
You only need to modify the network settings

Go to setup
In devices click the device > edit > Network Settings > Edit Network Connection > Connect.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 05:52:35 PM »
Thankyou.  Sunday, should Amazon deliver my cat6 cables, that should do the job.   I have dsl, 50 down 5 up and for now it stays dsl.  Fiber is around but the way they have it hanging on the telephone poles  I am going to wait to see how it does after some freezing rain this winter with wind.  for odd reasons they only bury the fiber in the new areas of town.  Of course it is google fiber which has a lot of mix reviews.  So far those installers have cut all sorts of buried lines.   BUt back to this,  that should help quite a bit.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 06:07:55 PM »
Thankyou.  Sunday, should Amazon deliver my cat6 cables, that should do the job.   I have dsl, 50 down 5 up and for now it stays dsl.  Fiber is around but the way they have it hanging on the telephone poles  I am going to wait to see how it does after some freezing rain this winter with wind.  for odd reasons they only bury the fiber in the new areas of town.  Of course it is google fiber which has a lot of mix reviews.  So far those installers have cut all sorts of buried lines.   BUt back to this,  that should help quite a bit.
Any Cat5 cable is more than sufficient for this task.  The cold and winter should have no effects on the Fibre. It is either up high or underground to minimise the chances of being broken.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 07:59:59 PM »
To drop the load off my WiFi I went with Ethernet over power with Netgear Powerline 1200 adapters. Also instead of using the crappy DSL Modem/wireless router that CenturyLink provided I turned off the wireless side and connected up a new multi-band wireless router.

anything