Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 108856 times)

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
Well that is odd. Set two different DHCP reservations (with different IPs obviously) for each of the two MAC addresses of the WiFiLogger to test your theory. Then see which IP of the two sticks.
In all honesty, while it is working, as it is now, with its IP address fixed in hardware and in the router, I am inclined to let sleeping dogs lie.  :-)
One further note: I had mentioned in an earlier thread that I have been seeing occasional (every 1-3 days) weewx crashes (recovered by automatically restarting weewx) that I had attributed to intermittent networking glitches. These seem to have completely ceased since I set my WiFiLogger to a fixed IP address in its BIOS. I wonder now if the weewx crashes were actually caused by the Logger changing its IP address - only more transiently than in the events that triggered this thread.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Well that is odd. Set two different DHCP reservations (with different IPs obviously) for each of the two MAC addresses of the WiFiLogger to test your theory. Then see which IP of the two sticks.
In all honesty, while it is working, as it is now, with its IP address fixed in hardware and in the router, I am inclined to let sleeping dogs lie.  :-)
One further note: I had mentioned in an earlier thread that I have been seeing occasional (every 1-3 days) weewx crashes (recovered by automatically restarting weewx) that I had attributed to intermittent networking glitches. These seem to have completely ceased since I set my WiFiLogger to a fixed IP address in its BIOS. I wonder now if the weewx crashes were actually caused by the Logger changing its IP address - only more transiently than in the events that triggered this thread.

I havn't noticed that any of my WiFiLoggers change IP address. IP are assigned by your router.
But. Routers have lease time for IP, like 48 hours. WiFiLogger is rebooting itself. There are some functions to reboot automaticly, now I have added new with PING 8.8.8.8.
It can happened that WFL is rebooting and router gives it new IP. Routers also have list with static IP, when you find it and fill form, then WFL will have always same IP. It is better than Static IP in WFL.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website

I havn't noticed that any of my WiFiLoggers change IP address. IP are assigned by your router.
But. Routers have lease time for IP, like 48 hours. WiFiLogger is rebooting itself. There are some functions to reboot automaticly, now I have added new with PING 8.8.8.8.
It can happened that WFL is rebooting and router gives it new IP. Routers also have list with static IP, when you find it and fill form, then WFL will have always same IP. It is better than Static IP in WFL.

You obviously didn't read the whole of my most recent thread. I would never, out of choice, use anything except the router's settings to assign a 'fixed' IP address. However, WiFiLogger was managing to change its IP address despite this being 'fixed' in the router's settings, apparently because it (WiFiLogger) was occasionally reporting a different (by one bit from its usual one) MAC Address (which is what the router uses to identify the device, of course), and the router was consequently assigning what it saw as a new device a different IP address.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
You obviously didn't read the whole of my most recent thread. I would never, out of choice, use anything except the router's settings to assign a 'fixed' IP address. However, WiFiLogger was managing to change its IP address despite this being 'fixed' in the router's settings, apparently because it (WiFiLogger) was occasionally reporting a different (by one bit from its usual one) MAC Address (which is what the router uses to identify the device, of course), and the router was consequently assigning what it saw as a new device a different IP address.
That is a true. I didn't read all of post in this and last month.
ESP8266 has two MAC addresses. Station and Access Point. I havent seen WiFiLogger logged to router with second MAC, but there is no reason not to believe you.
I have updated SDK and libraries it will be avaible with new firmware. I am testing this new firmware for new bugs and I wanted to add SSDP (no luck).
WiFiLogger software don't have any function programed by me to behave like this. So maybe this new SDK will solve your problem.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
ESP8266 has two MAC addresses. Station and Access Point. I havent seen WiFiLogger logged to router with second MAC, but there is no reason not to believe you.
I have updated SDK and libraries it will be avaible with new firmware. I am testing this new firmware for new bugs and I wanted to add SSDP (no luck).
It was, indeed, the Access Point address that it was apparently 'announcing' when it was being assigned a different address.

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
    • Fairfield Weather Station
Hello Wojciech!

I have a question and/or request. I am happily using WiFiLogger for over a year now. I used to use Davis' WLIP and upload to Wunderground and I do not miss it except for one feature.
 I have VERY unreliable internet (AT&T Fixed Wireless) it goes out for hours, even days after a rainfall. Anyway, because of this, WU would have gaps of archived data. To remedy this, i would use the Weather Underground Expansion Module in the WL desktop software to force the upload of the logged data in the particular time frame that was lost from the outage. It would fill in the gaps in the WU station historical charts.
Is this currently possible with WiFiLogger? Iv'e looked at the "Custom Export" under Setup, but I have no idea what to put in all those blanks. If not, can this feature be added at some point?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Hello Wojciech!
I have a question and/or request. I am happily using WiFiLogger for over a year now. I used to use Davis' WLIP and upload to Wunderground and I do not miss it except for one feature.
 I have VERY unreliable internet (AT&T Fixed Wireless) it goes out for hours, even days after a rainfall. Anyway, because of this, WU would have gaps of archived data. To remedy this, i would use the Weather Underground Expansion Module in the WL desktop software to force the upload of the logged data in the particular time frame that was lost from the outage. It would fill in the gaps in the WU station historical charts.
Is this currently possible with WiFiLogger? Iv'e looked at the "Custom Export" under Setup, but I have no idea what to put in all those blanks. If not, can this feature be added at some point?

Catchup function is something I wanted to make, but I had some problem to solve with memory reading from logger.
When you want to read arch. records from console, then console is freezeing. Don't accept any data from ISS etc.

But when I have made GLOBE function, I have rewrite this method to read memory. I think now this catchup function is possible to make.
Unfortunatly it is a lot of work = I need time for that.

Offline WeatherRick2

Using the Wi-Fi logger with great success.
I was wondering if it is possible to extend the wifi range by adding some sort of antenna (wire) to the logger?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I was wondering if it is possible to extend the wifi range by adding some sort of antenna (wire) to the logger?

Using 2.4GHz mode N, range is short, same room, maybe one next to.
Using 2.4GHz mode G and B is much better, even 3 rooms.
Unfortunatly it is not automatic like in PC or smartphone you have to change that in setup.

If you wish I can make WiFiLogger especially for you using module like this:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Here you don't have any antena, but you can attach one.

Offline WeatherRick2

Thank you for the prompt reply and offer for a custom unit.  Approximately how much range would be added by using the antenna?  Is 5 GHz a current option or would it offer any range improvement?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
5 GHz does not offer more range than 2.4 GHz. Some people feel that 5 GHz is better because it has higher speeds, but that is only the case for nearby connections. At greater range 2.4 GHz actually outperforms 5 GHz.

It is for this reason that I make my 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID names the same. Then the wireless device can choose the best connection depending on location. That is if it supports both. If it oy supports 2.4 GHz then it only uses 2.4 GHz normally without issue except for some IoT devices at the configuration steps which may require temporary shutdown of 5 GHz. Really that is just poor device setup implementation. But it is simple to turn off 5 GHz temporarily to set those devices up.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 03:53:48 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Thank you for the prompt reply and offer for a custom unit.  Approximately how much range would be added by using the antenna?  Is 5 GHz a current option or would it offer any range improvement?
About range I will redirect you to this movie: YouTube

There is no compatible module with 5 GHz for my software. 5 GHz is on market because it has more channels to use than 2.4GHz.
5GHz range is lower with same energy and you should omit obstacles more than with 2.4GHz.

Offline WeatherRick2

Very interesting, thank you for the link!

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Windy.com is comming soon.

https://www.windy.com
https://stations.windy.com

Working. I have to just test it little more.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather

If you need second opinion ;)

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
If you need second opinion ;)
yes I need help.
This will be first WiFiLogger export function where you can choose  Real Time Data, or latest archive records.
For a month or two all of you could use last record using http://WFL_IP/lastlog.json
This is a file to export via MQTT, or HTTP. Should be triggered when new records was made in data logger.

Where is a problem?
Wind direction. Real time data has wind direction from 0 to 360 degree.
In arch records wind direction is 0-15 = N, NNE, ESE ....

Code: [Select]
if (wind == 0xFF) return S_Dash;

switch (wind) {
    case 0: //N
      return F("N"); break;
    case 1: //NNE
      return F("NNE"); break;
    case 2: // NE
      return F("NE"); break;
    case 3: // ENE
      return F("ENE"); break;
    case 4: // E
      return F("E"); break;
    case 5: // ESE
      return F("ESE"); break;
    case 6: // SE
      return F("SE"); break;
    case 7: // SSE
      return F("SSE"); break;
    case 8: // S
      return F("S"); break;
    case 9: // SSW
      return F("SSW"); break;
    case 10: // SW
      return F("SW"); break;
    case 11: // WSW
      return F("WSW"); break;
    case 12: // W
      return F("W"); break;
    case 13: // WNW
      return F("WNW"); break;
    case 14: // NW
      return F("NW"); break;
    case 15: // NNW
      return F("NNW"); break;
  }

May I simply export it as degrees?
Code: [Select]
Wind - Deegre
0 - 0
1 - 22,5
2 - 45
3 - 67,5
4 - 90
5 - 112,5
6 - 135
7 - 157,5
8 - 180
9 - 202,5
10 - 225
11 - 247,5
12 - 270
13 - 292,5
14 - 315
15 - 337,5

Another problem is a dew point. Will it be ok when I will calculare dew point using arch. temperature and arch. humidity?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Not sure if this is helpful,
I am currently sending to Windy via CumulusMX which uses WiFiLogger.  The initial upload url was https://stations.windy.com/pws/update/placeyourownlongAPIhere?winddir=%3C#avgbearing%3E&wind=%3C#wspeed%3E&gust=%3C#wgust%3E&temp=%3C#temp%3E&precip=%3C#rhour%3E&dewpoint=%3C#dew%3E2&humidity=%3C#hum before it was a standard setup in CumulusMX settings and not aware it has changed.
For my location I have a second station on Windy that is provided from CWOP.  This CWOP data is also from WiFiLogger.  A third Windy station on the map is also from my CWOP with data uploaded by Cumulus 1.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
 Windy has expressed that they don't want real-time data. They have requested data the same as is sent to cwop. For example wind should be average of previous 2 minutes.
https://community.windy.com/topic/8186/wind-direction-interval/5
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Windy has expressed that they don't want real-time data. They have requested data the same as is sent to cwop. For example wind should be average of previous 2 minutes.
https://community.windy.com/topic/8186/wind-direction-interval/5
Thank you. This helped.

I have still those two option.
RTD with console 2 min AVG
Arch. with Average Wind Speed from arch period.

From this document we know, that best for Windy will be archive data with 5 min interval , only problem is with this wind direction.
Maybe for 1 and 5 min arch. period I could mix direction from real time data?
There is two:
- wind direction
- 10 min gust wind direction.
both 0-360

In arch we have also two:
- avg wind direction
- max (gust) wind direction
both 0-15

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor

Using 2.4GHz mode N, range is short, same room, maybe one next to.
Using 2.4GHz mode G and B is much better, even 3 rooms.
Unfortunatly it is not automatic like in PC or smartphone you have to change that in setup.

If you wish I can make WiFiLogger especially for you using module like this:

Here you don't have any antena, but you can attach one.

I'm using the wifi logger in 2.4 GHz N mode and get to my modem at full signal despite 10 m distance and a wall in the middle. I think the wifi capacity is very good. However in the Modem / wifi logger connection it would be necessary to keep in mind also the modem settings ..... there are some settings to make the wifi network much more stable and with a much greater range than the standard

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
There was a request of https://openweathermap.org/stations
It is quite complicated, because there has to be an interface to add and delete station, not only to feed specific ID.

Is this service worth it?
Will be here any users to use this web?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
There was a request of https://openweathermap.org/stations
It is quite complicated, because there has to be an interface to add and delete station, not only to feed specific ID.

Is this service worth it?
Will be here any users to use this web?

I say this. Don't make it complicated by adding the routine to add a station. Just make it simple so that you just upload with the API protocol. If you make it complicated so that you are helping people create the station they will never know how to use the data that is posted there. I don't think at this point that it is a worthy service. I think they (openweathermap) should be the ones creating the tools to create and view the data.
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I say this. Don't make it complicated by adding the routine to add a station. Just make it simple so that you just upload with the API protocol. If you make it complicated so that you are helping people create the station they will never know how to use the data that is posted there. I don't think at this point that it is a worthy service. I think they (openweathermap) should be the ones creating the tools to create and view the data.
I also think like you. Adding next weather service is one thing, but controlling API of this server is beyond IoT device like WiFiLogger is

I would rather like to make some new functions to better control and view arch. data logger data in WiFiLogger.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
After over a week of uninterrupted use, I notice that the realtime.txt file of the wifi logger was abnormal, I rebooted and everything came back ok. A programmed automatic restart function would be useful. You can set a time once a day or a week so that the wifi logger automatically restarts