Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109457 times)

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
Hi Wojtek,
The uploads have been very intermittent over last couple of days, and now stopped to most sites - PWS, WL, CWOP, FTP archive
i.e. http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KOMOKA2.html and http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/rawwx.cgi?call=FW2530

However WU is mostly being updated http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IMIDDLES37

I did reboot the Vue console (disconnect all power and reconnect) and that seemed to get at least one update to CWOP but nothing further.

WiFiLogger Real Time Data view looks fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Sounds odd.  Mine has been working seamlessly for a month now (minus my flawed firmware upload which I fixed immediately). 

Perhaps your HTML files didn't upload correctly?  Also, keep in mind that for CWOP your password needs to be updated when you update the firmware.  For example, the latest CWOP password needs to be -1 vers WiFiLogger 1.18

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
I've had mine from Scaled Instruments for a week now and it's working perfectly. I only collect the data from it on my PC and continue to let Weather Display do all the uploading to WU, CWOP, etc.

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
It had been working for 4 months, just the last couple days when there are sometimes hours between upload, except for WU which is updating but not at the set 5 min interval.I am not familiar with network settings but does the NTP Time as 1969 and last boot as 1969 seem normal?  If not, how would I change it?

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
Those times in 1969 are definitely not right. They should be a current date and time.

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
It had been working for 4 months, just the last couple days when there are sometimes hours between upload, except for WU which is updating but not at the set 5 min interval.I am not familiar with network settings but does the NTP Time as 1969 and last boot as 1969 seem normal?  If not, how would I change it?

I am wondering if your NTP settings were some how were corrupted.  Have you tried going to "Setup" then "Wifi setup" then scrolling to "NTP Settings" so see what is entered?  Should be set to something like "pool.ntp.org" and update "15"

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Uploads working again.  Looks like something got corrupted in the console time.  After several console time setups, and also in WiFiLogger, it came back to current life.
Enjoying,Paul

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor

That type of date is often an indication that the device rebooted or re-initialized,  and during the start up process it was unable to connect to the network to get the current time. Since it cannot get the correct time it starts from 0 which for UNIX based systems is 12/31/1969 00:00:00.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
That type of date is often an indication that the device rebooted or re-initialized,  and during the start up process it was unable to connect to the network to get the current time. Since it cannot get the correct time it starts from 0 which for UNIX based systems is 12/31/1969 00:00:00.

This call for a possible bug. When the module is initialized without public internet access (or one that prohibits NTP server access), timestamps will be wrong where they're needed and possibly used for uploads. I think it would be nice if the module first initialized its clock from the console, then maintained accuracy using NTP.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

This call for a possible bug. When the module is initialized without public internet access (or one that prohibits NTP server access), timestamps will be wrong where they're needed and possibly used for uploads. I think it would be nice if the module first initialized its clock from the console, then maintained accuracy using NTP.

Sorry for being late.
Problem is: Unix timestamp = 0 gives as 1.01.1970 01:00:00
When NTP time is renew, console time is being readed.
Two conditions has to be pass through
Console year has to be bigger than 1971 - checking if time was read correctly from the console.
NTP year has to be bigger than 2017
Then console time will be updated, but only when difference between console time and NTP will be 1 min or more.

I can't say what was happened. Please report problem like this. I have to make some pattern to solve this.

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
    • Fairfield Weather Station
Hello Wojciech,
I Just Installed WiFiLogger and I'm reporting to everything except CWOP. The problem is that I was not showing up on APRS/CWOP so I changed the port to 23. That didn't work either. After that I upgraded the firmware to 118 and now I can't increase the port number more that a few numbers at a time. I can't copy and paste or type in 14580 or any number more than 10 higher or it won't save. and after a 20 minutes of finally getting to 255, it will not go higher.... I need 14580... any suggestions?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Hello Wojciech,
I Just Installed WiFiLogger and I'm reporting to everything except CWOP. The problem is that I was not showing up on APRS/CWOP so I changed the port to 23. That didn't work either. After that I upgraded the firmware to 118 and now I can't increase the port number more that a few numbers at a time. I can't copy and paste or type in 14580 or any number more than 10 higher or it won't save. and after a 20 minutes of finally getting to 255, it will not go higher.... I need 14580... any suggestions?

That was problem in firmware. Please update to version 1.19 from the first post.
Bin file +
Between version 1.18 and 1.19 it is needed one html file: setup.html

In this version you will find dew point option next to units in SETUP|Weather Station Setup.
You can choose which dew point will be send to WU, PWS and WOW. Other services don't use dew point.

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
Working perfectly now.
Thanks for the quick reply AND quick fix. You sir, are 'on the ball' Wojciech !! \:D/

This logger has a lot of features... However, I'm not sure if I see anything that can adjust (calibrate) settings like Tem & Humidity. Is this feature available and I've just overlooked it somehow?

Also, this may have been explained, but what's the story on Console Dewpoint vs Calculated?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:53:52 AM by Bobvelle »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Working perfectly now.
Thanks for the quick reply AND quick fix. You sir, are 'on the ball' Wojciech !! \:D/

This logger has a lot of features... However, I'm not sure if I see anything that can adjust (calibrate) settings like Tem & Humidity. Is this feature available and I've just overlooked it somehow?

Also, this may have been explained, but what's the story on Console Dewpoint vs Calculated?

Sorry for this bug with CWOP. Many people were test it, but nobody had to change that port.

Dew point story: WiFiLogger is a device to send data from the console to the Internet. Dew point in console is in full F degree, however it can be calculated and the will give tenth part. Discussion was if this is ok. In my opinion WFL should stay as a Internet connection device and not changing anything. On the other hand this calculation is very good. Gives the same value with tenth part. That was good move, but discussion was about philosophy if it's ok to make such things.

Calibration: There are some console settings, but not all. I will check how long it will take to make calibration menu. Maybe next firmware version (next friday) it will be done.
Please remember that calibration is in console, WFL won't recalculate values, only units.

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
Calibration: There are some console settings, but not all. I will check how long it will take to make calibration menu. Maybe next firmware version (next friday) it will be done.
Please remember that calibration is in console, WFL won't recalculate values, only units.

Understood. I use the console to re-calibrate mostly, but sometimes you forget what these offsets are and that requires Weatherlink software interface as it shows the raw data vs displayed value dialog box. This is rather helpful. However.. I can use Weatherlink to see these offsets so in the end I guess it's not that important that Wifilogger do this too. I fact, It may just muck things up having conflicting adjustments on 3rd party software. Thanks for the info and continuing to improve this great little device.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:18:30 PM by Bobvelle »

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
Another question. Would updating the Davis Pro2 CONSOLE firmware be possible through the WiFiLogger? I forgot to do this for the latest firmware and I'd rather not have to reinstall the WLIP logger to accomplish this. Any thoughts?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Another question. Would updating the Davis Pro2 CONSOLE firmware be possible through the WiFiLogger? I forgot to do this for the latest firmware and I'd rather not have to reinstall the WLIP logger to accomplish this. Any thoughts?

TCP connection is for this situation. Please go to SETUP|SYSTEM and set TCP port: Auto Pause. Click SAVE.
Run Davis update software(VP2_3_18.exe), use TCP/IP
Local Device ID is not working with WFL here.
use REMOTE IP ADDRESS and type WFL IP there.

Should be ok, tested many times. Please remember if something goes wrong console will not run, but you can start another update process from the beginning. No stress here.
Just tested on ver. 1.19. It takes 6-7 min.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:04:55 PM by WiFiLogger »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Time for our Polish friend to go to bed!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
The party was about to begin :)

Offline TO4DM4N

Hi all...new to the hobby and forums.  Looking to purchase my first Davis VP2 station.  Am I correct in thinking that the WiFiLogger eliminates the need for a meteobridge and a usb data-logger cable?  Thanks!

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
Hi all...new to the hobby and forums.  Looking to purchase my first Davis VP2 station.  Am I correct in thinking that the WiFiLogger eliminates the need for a meteobridge and a usb data-logger cable?  Thanks!

That is correct.  A turn key system would include your "flavor" of pro2: 6152, 6162, 6153, or 6163 and the wifilogger.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground

That is correct. I have used my WiFiLogger for about a month and it works perfectly. If you buy one, make sure you update the firmware. A two step process—a bin file and several html files all contained in a single ZIP file. They are available in the first post in this thread.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:04:47 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor

Yep, as Ryan and Ron said above, nothing more needed besides the VP2 and the console (or the envoy).  No need for any additional software or meteobrige.

For me, it was the most cost effective and seamless way to upload my data to the internet without a computer running all the time.  The wifilogger was the reason I finally pulled the trigger on the Davis.

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
OK...

So I just got on to my Weatherlink software on my home PC and went to download the logger like I do about every couple of months so the logger doesn't get to full. As usual a dialog box appears...says downloading 150 pages (or whatever), BUT there is no data. If I make a plot the page loads to the year 2089 or 2150 or something and after scrolling back to 2018, all plots stop at 7:15 pm July 18th... the time and day I removed weatherlinkIP and plugged in Wifilogger.
Any Idea what I might have done wrong here? Am I supposed to even be getting logged archive data via wetherlink like before? i thought I would.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
OK...

So I just got on to my Weatherlink software on my home PC and went to download the logger like I do about every couple of months so the logger doesn't get to full. As usual a dialog box appears...says downloading 150 pages (or whatever), BUT there is no data. If I make a plot the page loads to the year 2089 or 2150 or something and after scrolling back to 2018, all plots stop at 7:15 pm July 18th... the time and day I removed weatherlinkIP and plugged in Wifilogger.
Any Idea what I might have done wrong here? Am I supposed to even be getting logged archive data via wetherlink like before? i thought I would.
Just to make sure you have the right settings checked.
Under Wi-FI setup scroll all the way to the bottom. Under TCP settings make sure you have 22222 in the box. Click save.
Next go to the System page. Under TCP select Auto-Pause. Click save.
Next open Weatherlink but do not download any data. Click Set Up and go to Communications Port. In the Communications box make sure TCP/IP is checked. Under the TCP/IP Connections box make sure you have  22222 as the TCP port number.  Under Remote IP Address put this number. 10.0.0.210 Click OK at the top.
Before you do download anything  though delete those bad years.   Have to get rid of that bad data.
Hopefully that helps.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
Just to make sure you have the right settings checked.
Under Wi-FI setup scroll all the way to the bottom. Under TCP settings make sure you have 22222 in the box. Click save.
Next go to the System page. Under TCP select Auto-Pause. Click save.
Next open Weatherlink but do not download any data. Click Set Up and go to Communications Port. In the Communications box make sure TCP/IP is checked. Under the TCP/IP Connections box make sure you have  22222 as the TCP port number.  Under Remote IP Address put this number. 10.0.0.210 Click OK at the top.
Before you do download anything  though delete those bad years.   Have to get rid of that bad data.
Hopefully that helps.

Thanks Ocala,
All the setting are correct..but you said to get rid of those future years, but I wasn't sure how to do do that.Turns out I had to go into Weatherlink File menu and under 'Clear', I chose to 'clear all archive data'. That seems to have did it. After downloading the archive again, the extra 112 years were gone and the data for the last 15min interval was plotted.  :grin: Lost a couple days but Oh well.