Author Topic: Fall 2016  (Read 25554 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Fall 2016
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2016, 06:39:50 PM »
All over the place here.  40's then 70's in just a few days.  had one frost but no real freeze. THey missed the forecast on that one last night.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2016, 07:01:05 PM »
It has been over 10 days now that we are well below average, in fact the whole central Europe is. I dont mind cold, but what is a bit annoying is that I seriously have not seen the sun in those last ten days. All day completely overcast and almost constantly drizzling, occasionally raining. It is usually below any measurable value, but nothing really enjoyable. Due to the cloudiness there is also very little temperature amplitude, practically no difference between daily max and nightly min.

Attached is an image of temperature anomaly

P.S. And despite the fact it has been colder than usual for the past two weeks, I still believe in global warming :D :D :D

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2016, 08:58:46 PM »
The Indian summer as they call it around here (when temperatures fluctuate a bunch in the spring and fall) is in full effect. I was only in the upper 50s today, but will be back in the middle 80s by Tuesday. Average high temperatures this time of year in central West Virginia is in the middle 70s.

Frost advisories are up for a good chunk of the state tonight. It was 36 last Monday morning up in the mountains where I went hiking at.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2016, 10:52:53 PM »
Mid 80's tomorrow but we have ended the growing season with 3 days of freezes. Lowest was only 26° but it did stay below 28° >3 consecutive hours making it a hard freeze.
Randy

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2016, 12:06:53 PM »
13 degees this morning under CAVU  conditions. North side of the Alaska range show lot of new snow yesterday as it pokes above the glacial dust scoured of the river bottoms.

John

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »
8 deg here this morning. Temps keep dropping. Rivers are starting to ice up. Lot of pan ice. Smaller stream are froze over. Next week at the 850mb level temps are expected to drop by 15 to 17 deg C.  So looks like the prediction of minus temp s next week may just form up. No snow yet in any forecast. Stay warm out there.
Hot toddy time tonight

John

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »
Currently 81, with 87 forecast for Monday, then only upper 60s by Friday.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »
8 deg here this morning. Temps keep dropping. Rivers are starting to ice up. Lot of pan ice. Smaller stream are froze over. Next week at the 850mb level temps are expected to drop by 15 to 17 deg C.  So looks like the prediction of minus temp s next week may just form up. No snow yet in any forecast. Stay warm out there.
Hot toddy time tonight

John

Would these be your first negative degrees of the new season?
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2016, 07:26:54 PM »
Yes it will be first negative temp of 16/17 winter season. Tok last night hit zero for their low.

John

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2016, 07:32:24 PM »
Yes it will be first negative temp of 16/17 winter season. Tok last night hit zero for their low.

John

In general, is this earlier than usual, normal or later than usual that you have temperatures of 0F?

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2016, 08:14:17 PM »
What a day today.  68 with a 60F dew point. Very warm. Got a few Christmas lights put up because of it.
Tomorrow near 70. With the Chiefs at 3, I can get some more hung and start the snow blower.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2016, 11:03:01 PM »
It is late this year. Generally mid  October is when start seeing temps down in the zero range. Also the snow is late this year and down by Anchorage they gave an wildfire going with wind 30 to 40 mph.

John

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2016, 01:53:56 PM »
Well we are at  nothing degrees as the wife calls it. The wx station says 0 degrees out on the front yard. Nws calling for 40 mph winds today as front moves thru and few snow showers at higher elvations.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2016, 02:22:16 PM »
Well we are at  nothing degrees as the wife calls it. The wx station says 0 degrees out on the front yard. Nws calling for 40 mph winds today as front moves thru and few snow showers at higher elvations.

Eventually that nothing moves south, can't wait.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »

Easy there Skippy, not too far south... :-)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »

Easy there Skippy, not too far south... :-)
What? You got something against SNOW in Arid-zona instead of SAND? "Un-true grit" for sure!
Actually when it snows down here, it's really beautiful. I've just become such a weenie when it comes to cold wx.  :-({|=

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2016, 10:14:17 PM »
I might as well believe in global warming.  Oklahoma City has a record high low Monday morning.   The low was 73.  The previous high low was 68.  Average low is 52.  This afternoon had 90s in much of central and western parts of the state and as much as 100, or more, in the far northwest.  91 here.  Record highs into the mid 90s have happened before in Oklahoma City during the first three weeks in October.  But never in recorded history has it gotten into the 100s during that month.  In the map below, 102 represents the hottest temperature ever recorded so late in the year in Oklahoma.

Tuesday, a cold front will come and bring highs down to the upper 70s with less wind.  No storms expected.   A stronger cold front will move through Wednesday night with rain more likely.  The rest of October has highs mostly in the 70s with no early fall freezes on the horizon.   First fall freeze often arrives during the first week of November.  No more mowing the grass then, if it wasn't already done.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:24:21 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2016, 11:48:43 PM »
What a day today.  68 with a 60F dew point. Very warm. Got a few Christmas lights put up because of it.
Tomorrow near 70. With the Chiefs at 3, I can get some more hung and start the snow blower.

Start the snow blower?   I recently heard about that subject.  Recently, a friend of mine asked me to accompany her to her 40th Stillwater High School reunion.  One of the graduates there told me of how rough it was getting used to winters in Wisconsin.  When the Stillwater Mercury Marine plant, where he worked closed in 2011, he elected to transfer to the company HQ plant in Fond du Lac, WI.  He said Wisconsin winters have been mighty rough getting used to and that everybody had to have a snow blower to survive.  Years ago, I had worked at Mercury Marine for several years,  and was gladder than usual I didn't elect to make working there a permanent career.  Mercury Marine makes boat motors.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:51:23 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »
29C in NY?!  :shock:

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2016, 08:58:35 PM »
This morning  started out at an low of 2 deg f and  got up to 24 this afternoon. At 19 degrees and light snow falling. This coverage is here to stay till the first snow eater  removes it. So far have about 1/2 inch on the board in little over 2 hours.   Looks like I get to use the  Kubota  in the morning to  move the snow.  it more fun than  an snow blower any day of the week. Take  bucket off and  put the blade on it.

John

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2016, 05:56:51 PM »

First snow of the 16/17 season. Nice day here today sunny. Ran into Fairbank and ice fog on the way in. Hoarfrost  was on the trees but was in area of no photo taking. Eilson AFB.

John

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »
Is that your weather station there John?
Finally had our first cold front come through last night. Temp down to 51 and the DP in the mid 40's. Nice to feel some cool air but I'll be complaining soon. Just can't handle cold weather like I used to.
Mid 40's tonight.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2016, 06:13:37 PM »
I've hit 98F today. :-|

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2016, 06:24:38 PM »
The night minimums here currently are around freezing point, it gets relatively cold after sunset, during the day it is around 10 (50F). I wonder if we get any snow this winter at all... last few winters we had practically nothing, it did snow but it never stayed on ground for too long, usually a few days at most.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2016, 07:01:03 PM »
The night minimums here currently are around freezing point, it gets relatively cold after sunset, during the day it is around 10 (50F). I wonder if we get any snow this winter at all... last few winters we had practically nothing, it did snow but it never stayed on ground for too long, usually a few days at most.
Historically how much snow do you usually get?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

anything