Author Topic: Looking for Outdoor IP Webcam for FTP (something simple please)  (Read 1920 times)

Offline flyingvranch

• Contributor
    • KI5OMM Weather Station
Looking for Outdoor IP Webcam for FTP (something simple please)
« on: September 18, 2022, 05:36:33 PM »
I want to add a webcam for my website. It has to be able to FTP an image at regular intervals and overwrite the file with the same name every time so as to not fill up my directory with images.

This seems like a simple request, but I am having a hard time finding an outdoor IP webcam that will do that. All of the camera operating interfaces I have used so far are very confusing, want you to use their proprietary website etc.,  and I have yet to get a successful FTP from any of them.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank You!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Looking for Outdoor IP Webcam for FTP (something simple please)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 06:13:25 PM »
Is this the screen you're looking for?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

If so, see this thread:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=44079.0

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 06:17:47 PM by WeatherHost »

Offline flyingvranch

• Contributor
    • KI5OMM Weather Station
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 08:23:58 PM »
Is this the screen you're looking for?

If so, see this thread:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=44079.0

Thanks for the suggestion! Does it overwrite the file each time so it has the same file name each upload? And does it actually in fact load a file at all? I am well versed in FTP (mostly) and for the life of me I cannot get my Amcrest cameras to upload anything even though their FTP Test function says successful. I do appreciate the help!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 03:26:54 AM »
I guess I don't know enough about FTP to be able to say for sure.  It uploads something, but they seem to be timestamped YYYMMDDHH:MM

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
    • Willowsford Farm Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 06:13:25 AM »
I wrote a post (https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=43546.msg443473#msg443473) on how I set up my webcam earlier this year to include hardware and software I purchased. I use IPTimelapse software that has many options to include overwriting files. You can choose how often you want the camera to capture an image and then ftp that to your server. The filename is always the same, so it overwrites itself with each ftp. Here's where my file is displayed: https://novawx.dscloud.me/wxcam.php. Hope this helps with your decision.

Offline flyingvranch

• Contributor
    • KI5OMM Weather Station
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 06:59:18 AM »
Thank you WeatherDoc for the info. Unfortunately I don't want to run a PC 24hrs for FTP so that software will not work for me. I am running a VP2 into a Raspberry Pi 3b and using weewx to ftp to my server space. I need a standalone camera solution to just ftp the snapshot every hour or so.
I appreciate everyone's help so far! Thanks!

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 04:12:44 PM »
If you are already running a RPI,  use that to take the image from the camera.  It can then tweak it for size, dimensions,  add time, temperature or any thing else and then ftp to your web page.  There have been several examples of how this can be done posted in this Web Cam section.