Author Topic: Why isn't Ambient Weather Stations an option to choose from on this software?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline wegenmaier

Ambient Weather recommends this software to communicate with CWOP, yet there is not an option that I can see to choose Ambient Weather Station.
Does it matter if I choose another type?
Walt

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
I'm having a hard time understanding what it is you are asking.

Secondly you've posted to the wrong section of this forum as this was posted in the section reserved for reporting and discussing matters that pertain to this forum's website and management. We are not affiliated with any brand. This is a public user community forum managed by fellow weather station users. Seems to me like you should have posted to the Ambient/Ecowitt/and Fine Offset section, or maybe posted in the CWOP section depending on the nature of your request as I'm not yet able to determine exactly where this is going, or maybe in the section for the software that you are running. I'll be moving this thread to the proper section once we establish some more details.

So please give us some more details.

What hardware station do you have, Brand/Model? Ambient I assume but which model?
What are you trying to accomplish? Post your weather to CWOP?
Maybe you are already uploading to CWOP...if so what is your CWOP ID?

You said "this software" but you never mentioned what software "this" is.
Which software are you using?

If you are referencing any online documentation or websites please post a link.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 05:01:02 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wegenmaier

My apologies for posting in the wrong place. I just became a member a few minutes before posting, so didn't know the proper place to post my question. My goal is to post my weather with CWOP and I have checked at wx.findu.com/WB4ZUT and it says nothing is posting.
The software I was trying to use to help me post to CWOP is VWSaprs.
My ID for CWOP is my ham call, WB4ZUT.
I have a Ambient WS-2902C weather station that is currently linked to WeatherCloud, AmbientWeather, and WeatherUnderground, but I can't seem to move my data to CWOP. I was looking for help to do that.
Thank you.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
Since you already send to ambientweather.net, check out this relatively new free service to upload to CWOP:
https://ambientcwop.com

Also here is the link to a forum thread on ambientcwop:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39020.0
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:33:27 PM by BKS97 »

Offline wegenmaier

Thank you very much.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
VWS and its component add-on VWSaprs is software by Ambient Weather that was created long before (several years) before your current model WS-2902C was out. Even before several predecessors to the WS-2902C. The VWS software has stopped being developed. Meaning that newer weather stations are not support. But this is because back then Ambientweather.net didn't exist. What Ambient decided to do is invest in Ambientweather.net as a replacement for VWS. Now Ambentweather.net doesn't realize all of the capabilities that VWS had. But it does solve the issue of making your weather data available and making it available on the Internet. On that account it succeeds.

Now there are still very many users that want to upload to CWOP. You can accomplish this is several ways with your current hardware. There is a way to do it without additional hardware/software. As BKS97 mentioned you can use AmbientCWOP.com as a conduit service. AmbientCWOP is not owned and operated by Ambient and it is also not operated by CWOP. It is just the work of an individual that created the service to form a bridge in the cloud with your Ambientweather.net data and CWOP. That bridge doesn't happen automatically. You need to set things up using this free service and then you'll be uploading to CWOP.

I mentioned that there are other ways. The method of uploading via AmbientCWOP requires reliance on Ambientweather.net and on AmbientCWOP.com and so if either of these services has an outage (which can and does happen from time to time) then your data suffers an outage too. If you invest in your own additional hardware/software then you could upload directly to CWOP cutting out two hops and the less middle man the less to need to rely on. You could then though argue that investing in hardware/software means that then you'll have to rely on that and for your own support. But managing your own stuff if done right can have great results I feel. So with that I'll name the hardware and software that you should consider as alternatives. The first thing to know is that we need a way to get data from your station. Unfortunately you can't get data from your hardware (yet, but its coming in future firmware). So what you can do is invest in a GW1000 which is of a reasonable expense and that is compatible with your WS-2902C sensors. This GW1000 then is able to communicate with other 3rd party software that you can run on a trusty computer. Better to not use your daily driver computer. The computer will need to run 24/7. For this the best recommendation is the Raspberry Pi. A computer that will run headless (no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse) and take up little space, and consume very little power and be totally silent and it will only cost your about $100 for all the parts needed. The software to then run can be any of the following: Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, or WeeWX. All of these software support the GW1000. Each of these software has considerable following with many of the users on this and other weather forums. There is ample amount of people to ask questions and get help.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:40:21 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline wegenmaier

I have logged in and what do I do now for my weather data to go to CWOP?
How can I tell it is working or not? I logged into wx.findu.com/WB4ZUT and it still says I have not sent anything.
What do I do next to start sending to CWOP. I'm already on AmbientWeather.net.

Offline wegenmaier

Thank you, Galfert for the info

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
Meteobridge Pro stand-alone Linux device offers yet another way to upload to CWOP.
All that is needed is to supply a CWOP ID.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline wegenmaier

Thanks, Gary.
Ambient support suggested the WeatherBridge and ObserverIP, which I bought. Turns out, I didn't need it to give 24/7 reporting. I was led to believe that it was required or keep the computer on 24/7...turns out that is false.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Can't believe Ambient continues to peddle the ObserverIP. Alone the ObserverIP yes, it serves as a basic WU and Ambientweather.net uploader but connect it to Meteobridge and the ObserverIP reliability goes out the window. The Meteobridge is too heavy of a tax on the ObserverIP for data (poor method of data acquisition via HTML screen scrape).  The better way to go is the Ecowitt GW1000 (yes it works with the WS-2000) paired with the Meteobridge (will use excellent network API to get data). Even the TP-Link version of the Meteobridge is getting long in the tooth with all the new features of the Meteobridge software as it can be plagued with restarts and lock-ups if you are too impatient with the menus and sometimes it just restarts on its own....running at 92%+ RAM use. My advice...Meteobridge software image on Raspberry Pi (piece of cake to implement).
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
Thanks, Gary.
Ambient support suggested the WeatherBridge and ObserverIP, which I bought. Turns out, I didn't need it to give 24/7 reporting. I was led to believe that it was required or keep the computer on 24/7...turns out that is false.

Did you get the Ambient WeatherBridge Pro, which is what I got, and it is purely a Meteobridge Pro and says so when it boots up. If that is what you got it is, indeed, stand-alone and does not require keeping anything on 24/7 other than your weather station, router, and the Meteobridge Pro.

I absolutely love my Meteobridge Pro and the software is set up, out of the box, to run literally dozens of different weather sites. Some of them you can see in my signature below and I'm getting ready to explore and add some more. My Meteobridge Pro has been absolutely fail-safe solidly reliable from the day I got it last August. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:58:47 PM by TraderGary »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Gary,
The Meteobridge Pro is very formidable with its metal case, LCD display, and antennas, and painted red. I wanted one but a few ysars ago I stumbled on a deal on eBay for a used TP-Link Meteobridge that was too good to pass up. The Meteobridge Pro was though on my radar and I thought I'd learn to master what the regular standard Meteobridge had to offer first and upgrade later if I were to finally decide to splurge for it. I decided to put an alert tickler on eBay and watch for a used Meteobridge Pro and about a year ago it happened. Someone was selling a MB Pro Red. I watched the auction and I put out a low bid on it to show interest. I added a reminder in my calendar for the auction close so I could snipe it at the last second. We'll something happened (I forget what) and I missed the notification that day. I checked and it sold for about $130. I kicked myself...I was so upset to have missed it. I was determined to find and not miss the next one. Well here we are a year later and none went on sale. So I almost decided to buy it out right ($465 ouch) when I learned of the new Raspberry Pi version that just came out. All for the cost of a Pi 4 plus SLC SD card, and 65 Euros for the software (or free license transfer for TP-Link users), so it's a way better deal. I couldn't believe it. It has all of the Pro features (except LCD and RF antenna that I can't or wouldn't use anyway). But even better in some other ways the Raspberry Pi version is better than the Pro, it's faster and has more storage if you get a decent size SD card (I got the 16GB but 8GB is more than enough and still way more than the Pro's 2GB). So in some ways the RPI version is more premium. The Pro though gets free lifetime updates. The Pro almost didn't get the minute logging feature (because of smaller storage).

The Meteobridge Pro is great. But it was never what most people thought about because of the cost. The Raspberry Pi version changes the dynamic.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:18:43 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
If I understand from reading many of the messages here, if you have weather link live and the PI Meteobridge you in effect have the same functionality as the Meteobridge pro.

Mention so that it helps understand alternative option to the Meteobridge pro is also available if this is true.

One question is if you have the meteobridge pro, do you have to buy the license?  Ask cause based on this if run the pro for many years in the long run becomes most cost effective i would guess

Thanks
Frank

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
George,

I too was a bit concerned at first about the 2GB of data storage on the Meteobridge Pro until I learned that is enough for 10 years of WS data. It's also my understanding that you can also add storage using the USB port on the rear of the unit. Is that true?

And what's this about the Pro having lifetime updates? Although at my age that might not be a very big deal.   :roll:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
If I understand from reading many of the messages here, if you have weather link live and the PI Meteobridge you in effect have the same functionality as the Meteobridge pro.
Yes, pretty much the same except with the Pi version no free lifetime upgrades, no Ambientweather.net license in the case of having bought the MB PRO from Ambient, no LCD. But like I mentioned there are some benefits of the Pi version over the PRO version...faster CPU (quicker menu navigation), more storage (more years of per minute data).

One question is if you have the meteobridge pro, do you have to buy the license?  Ask cause based on this if run the pro for many years in the long run becomes most cost effective i would guess
The MB PRO comes with the Meteobridge license. And if you bought it from Ambient then it also comes with the Ambientweather.net license ($100 value). I don't think that the MB PRO becomes more cost effective in the long run with free updates. It's just 19 Euros every 2 years. The price difference between the Pi solution and the MB PRO is about $300 or $200 depending on if you go for the Ambient license or not. So it would take you about 14 or 22 years respectively to break even (with and without Ambient license). That is a long time to break even...meanwhile you have less storage and slower software experience. I think the Meteobridge RPI is the new flagship option.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 06:17:04 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
George,

I too was a bit concerned at first about the 2GB of data storage on the Meteobridge Pro until I learned that is enough for 10 years of WS data. It's also my understanding that you can also add storage using the USB port on the rear of the unit. Is that true?
The USB port expansion is for data backup...not for direct logging. Unless you change things to use the external storage as the main storage...which I think may be possible but I'm not sure on the particular of that. I assume it might entail doing some hard mounting and creating some symbolic links in Linux....but I'm not certain. Not a simple process and not really there as an easy user menu option I don't think. My experience with the MB PRO is limited. So I could be wrong.

The 2GB storage of the MB PRO good for many years of data but only for "hourly data" which was the only available form of data that any Meteobridge could do up until very recently. Shortly after the release of the RPI version the Meteobridge software gained the ability to do per minute data logging. This uses up a lot of storage. In that case 2 GB is not going to carry you that far. But the Meteobridge has now gained automatic deletion of per minute historical data and you can set it to delete after 30 days or a year...etc (with options between that). This will allow you to be able to turn on per minute data with only 2 GB storage. But the Raspberry Pi with the capability to have large SD cards allows several decades of per minute data an never having to delete any of it. I have a 16 GB SD card and my MB RPI with per minute data turned on says that it is good for 33 years.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

WD Sandisk 16 GB SLC SD Card:

And what's this about the Pro having lifetime updates? Although at my age that might not be a very big deal.   :roll:
Yes, the MB PRO has lifetime software updates. You won't have to pay the optional 19 Euros every 2 years to continue to get updates.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 06:09:33 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
George,
I don't have the 1 minute storage turned on.
Here's my page. I'm assuming the default is hourly storage?
If that is true, do I really have 85.1 years of storage available?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 09:46:13 PM by galfert »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Apparently so, 85 years worth of hourly data. You can turn on minute data and then give it at least 24 hours to see what storage estimate it gives then. I'd be curious to know. You can always turn it off and delete the minute data if you don't want it.

Yes the default is only hourly storage. When you turn on minute storage it is in addition to hourly. They are two separate databases. Turning on minute storage does not get rid of the hourly storage. That way when you prune or delete minute storage it is easily done...separate databases. The graphs though will work with minute storage if it is available....if not they they are more course and it will just use the hourly data.

Another benefit of the minute data is perhaps for future use if you want to export it onto a different software application. Probably nicer to have minute data than just hourly. I though have always done a mySQL database onto my Synology NAS from my Meteobridge as a sort of backup future use thing. I still do that with my new Meteobridge RPI. I could probably import a few years from my mySQL database onto the new Meteobridge. I had my mySQL doing 5 minute data logging.

On the MB PRO it looks like internal storage is more like 1 GB and not 2 GB. Showing 849 MB free.

Having minute data provides some more detailed graphs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:50:39 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
I had never even thought about saving my data until starting this forum. Then I went to WU where I have been uploading for several years and there is apparently no way to retrieve data. It's not really a big deal. Right now I'm mostly interested in total data for the year, month and day and I'm now getting that with my Davis WeatherLink Live 6100. I like that. I'm pleased that WLL is saving my data. I'm paying for the Pro subscription so I should be able to retrieve it whenever I want.

George, you have been a wealth of information and help to me and you've made my having a Weather Station so much more interesting. You have been very much appreciated this past year. Happy New Year to you and yours! And stay safe until we can get vaccinated!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
If you are interested in doing mySQL upload database backup with the Meteobridge this is where I learned how to set it up.
https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2015/02/storing-weather-station-data-mysql-meteobridge/

Happy New Year to you too! I've had a lot more free time working from home this year. It has allowed me to do a lot more things. It wasn't all bad. Got to spend a lot of quality time with my grade school children, they have really appreciated Daddy lunches as they stayed home doing online school. Here is looking to better and more normal 2021 ...although not right away unfortunately...but we can finally see the light at the end of this dark tunnel. Stay safe.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:55:51 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
George,

Changing to Per-Minute data changes Meteobridge Pro storage to 1.7 years.

I could pull the data off on a yearly basis.

I'm thinking that the default of hourly data is granular enough for what I would like to chart.

I changed back to the hourly default. I would never have to think about running out of data storage in my lifetime.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 05:58:29 PM by TraderGary »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Thank you Gary for the information. That makes sense. Seems like if you take the number of GB that you have free and double it...that it will then give you that in years for 1 minute data.  You've got about 0.85 GB free and if you double it you get 1.7 years. I have 14.5 GB and if I double it I get about 29 years. Of course this is just rough estimates and everyone's results may vary depending on the number of sensors that they have.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 06:04:02 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole