Author Topic: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.  (Read 58065 times)

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« Reply #800 on: June 15, 2020, 11:11:05 AM »
merc, so sorry to hear that.  While you can't help but feel anxiety, etc. etc., I just want to say that we went through the same type of doctor call a number of years ago and my wife had all 9 yards of chemo, surgery, etc. and 15 years later she is as good as ever.

Both of you and family keep up your spirits and prioritize as needed.

Thinking and praying for you,
Paul

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #801 on: June 16, 2020, 08:29:52 AM »
That's tough to hear merc. Hopefully it was caught early.
My sister got it and beat it! Your wife has some tough times ahead but ya'll will get through it.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #802 on: June 16, 2020, 01:39:30 PM »
Cases are still spiking in Stillwater.  Friday went from 72 to 116 on Tuesday. Around 30 businesses report they have at least one employee with the virus.   Some have closed.  Others elect to remain open.   Even the tag agency is closed.  It expects to reopen on Thursday.   Locally and statewide, it's mainly affected the age group that doesn't get as severely sickened, 18-35, which hopefully explains why the hospitalizations and deaths aren't spiking as well.  I certainly won't be eating out again until things settle down considerably. 

Stillwater City Council weighs options as COVID-19 infections rise

The Stillwater City Council is pondering what it should do in light of the city’s recent dramatic growth in COVID-19 cases. Stillwater has seen a substantial increase since June 2, Mayor Will Joyce told the other city councilors Monday.

It led to a discussion about the need for increased communication with residents to provide reassurance and information on testing options and the need for a unified message from the City of Stillwater, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater Medical and the Payne County Health Department.

The current emergency order moving Stillwater into Phase III of the state’s Open Up and Recover Safely plan expires June 30, but City Attorney John Dorman has another emergency order ready to go that would roll back some Phase III provisions to protect the public health, the mayor said.

The specific provisions were not discussed at the meeting and the order has yet to be signed.

“There are so many moving targets,” Joyce said.

The other question the councilors are considering is: What has to happen to justify taking that action?

One of the criteria suggested was the number of cases requiring in-patient treatment.

Councilor John Wedlake suggested the council have a low threshold while monitoring that measure.

It’s hard to calculate the estimated exponential growth as the disease spreads through the community, Wedlake said. Based on numbers from the densely populated East and West coasts, COVID-19 has had a 2-3% death rate while the middle of the country was largely spared until now.

At one time, Stillwater Medical Center had the capacity to care for 13 people on ventilators but Wedlake said that may not be an accurate number anymore.

“None of us has a magic formula on when we worry,” Joyce said. “We’re not there, we haven’t been there.”

He said it’s really about maintaining the hospital’s capacity to treat critical care patients while allowing other patients to get care. The hospital has an incident command team that meets daily to monitor not only what is happening is Stillwater but throughout its service area.

Even under the current order, sheltering in place is still strongly recommended for anyone at higher risk from COVID-19, particularly people over age 65 and those with underlying health conditions.

The councilors all agreed that following the well-established social distancing guidelines and wearing face coverings in public will help minimize the risk of transmission, making it easier to keep things open but that message doesn’t seem to be getting through to all the people who need to hear it.

“If we can’t do that, we are going to end up places we don’t want to be in terms of limits on where we can go and what we can do,” Joyce said.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/local_news/city-council-weighs-options-as-covid-19-infections-rise/article_136478a3-5539-5a46-945d-4939a7b80e04.html

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #803 on: June 16, 2020, 04:42:06 PM »
I believe the CDC most recent estimate for the COVID-19 death rate (iFR) is less than 0.3%.  That estimate is from about a month ago, and since then while cases in many places in the United States have increased the deaths attributed to COVID have decreased or remained constant.  For whatever reason perhaps the iFR is even less than the previous CDC estimate from just a month ago.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

There was also news today that it's likely basic and inexpensive corticosteroids are effective at reducing COVID death in hospitalized patients. 

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/16/major-study-finds-common-steroid-reduces-deaths-among-patients-with-severe-covid-19/

A lot has been learned about COVID and it may be a lot less deadly than feared.  Anyway, the reason I point out these things is because I've spent a significant time of my life being a hypochondriac.  COViD is something to be concerned about AND some people seem to have become irrationally scared.  There is good data now about who is at risk and who isn't, I hate to see people being fearful when a very small amount are currently severely effected by the illness. 

The mental health of people in the NE of the United States has really declined, and I'm concerned it may take a long time for the anxiety to decline -- even though in some areas the new deaths are close to zero.

I'm in my 40s and had COViD in March as did my spouse.  It was a few weeks of on and off mild chest burning, but it was so mild I wouldn't even describe it as significant as a cold.  I work(ed) for a large company (international airline) and a few coworkers got more ill than I, but they all survived.  And this was in March/April.  The virus persists, but medical treatment and fatality rates have gotten much better than what happened in NY and NJ earlier in the year -- thank goodness.

I hope OK and other areas make a quick recovery.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:10:41 PM by METARMan »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #804 on: June 17, 2020, 04:02:56 AM »
Update From Stillwater Mayor:

LOCAL COVID UPDATE (June 16)
Stillwater now has 94 new cases of COVID-19 since June 1. That number represents a 425% increase over our total infections prior to June 1. The state has also seen record increases in new cases. Why are our local numbers going up so quickly? There are several factors at play.

(1) We are testing more. Local testing has increased significantly this month, including among asymptomatic people.
(2) Our population has increased. Many students that did not return to Stillwater after Spring Break have come back to town with jobs available, new leases starting, and more stuff to do.
(3) Everything is open. Under Phase 3 of the state guidelines, all businesses are open, and while the state still recommends extra safety precautions, they are not being universally applied.
(4) WE ARE NOT FOLLOWING SOCIAL DISTANCING GUIDELINES! Too many people are gathering in large groups, not wearing masks, and not following health department guidelines.

The majority of these cases are in people 20-27 years of age. We have not seen new hospitalizations along with this spike in positive tests, yet. At this point, in discussing the situation with PCHD, SMC, Payne County, OSU, and City staff, we are working to step up education and communication around safety precautions, rather than re-instituting business and personal restrictions. That may change as we continue to evaluate the situation daily. 
We've done a great job locally up to this point, and we are not going to eradicate coronavirus through social distancing alone. There will be cases in our community going forward, so we all need to commit to keeping the virus in check.

If we work together, care for our neighbors, and take the recommended precautions, we can keep our community safe and healthy. Please wear a mask in public, stay home as much as possible, avoid crowds, and minimize personal contact.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #805 on: June 17, 2020, 10:35:49 AM »
The emperor has no clothes.   Well that is how in Iowa it is being presented.  The data doesn't match up with the facts. Kim The Reaper, has opened up the entire state. Yeah the state fair she is pissed, didn't see that coming that people would figure a million people in close contact with no masks might have a few sickies in them, so the canceled it this year.

She has been peeing on our boots and saying it is raining, that is about the number of cases. She starts her thing,when it moves her, that  the number of people tested, number negative and lets it end there.

Yet people are getting sick in the 0-50 range at over 50% of the cases does bother her.  Rather than have the weekly report she ran off to be with Pence in Mason City.    As far as her and her political party, the virus is a hoax, it is over, time to (as Redd said in Shawshank Redemption ," Time to start living or start dying"  Maybe she thinks that if more people die, it will open places for others to live , and think of the job possiblities.

She constantly says, " Iowans will do the right thing. and old people need to stay home."

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #806 on: June 18, 2020, 12:46:29 AM »
I haven't heard of any fairs canceled in Oklahoma yet. 

Stillwater mayor further discusses the heightened local virus crisis.  Total cases as of Wednesday at 130:

"In what feels like the snap of a finger, Stillwater’s coronavirus case total has spiked to unimaginable levels.

After holding steady with 22 total cases from the beginning of this pandemic until June 7, the total now stands at a whopping 130 before Oklahoma State University students return.

And this may only be the beginning.

“We’re focusing, right now, on ramping up our communication around the concern and around the social distancing protocols,” Stillwater Mayor Will Joyce told the Stillwater News Press. “And just making sure that people understand that this disease is still spreading in Stillwater.”

Much of the city has been living in a lax state of mind with the low case count, but Joyce said he isn’t too surprised by the rise.

With testing ramped up, some students returning to Stillwater for jobs and all businesses now open, a spike was anticipated.

What does surprise Joyce – and others – is the speed in which these cases have been compiled.

“We are very concerned at the rapid increase of positive COVID-19 cases, especially in the young adult population,” said Necia Kimber, Stillwater Medical Center Director of Infection Prevention and Control. “Since Oklahoma has moved forward to Phase II on May 15 and Phase III on June 1, the amount of family and social gatherings/activities has significantly increased.”

And that’s the thing.

While a majority of the cases came from young adults in the 20-27 age range, Joyce said it’s difficult to pinpoint exactly where the resurgence began.

But that uncertainty brings the social distancing guidelines back to the forefront of the discussion, which Joyce had already been preaching for these past several months – even when there were zero active cases.

“It’s just as crucial as it’s always been,” Joyce said. “I think we’re certainly seeing a situation where people aren’t focusing on that quite as much. Even when we were at zero active cases, that number is always a little bit misleading because so many, even of these new cases, are asymptomatic.”

People typically aren’t tested unless they’re in contact with somebody who has it. Or in the case of the OSU football players returning to campus, they had to be tested because of procedure.

The team found three asymptomatic cases, but it begs the question: how many more people in Stillwater are in the same boat?

It’s not practical or even possible to test the entire population every day, so preventative measures are needed.

“Our stance on taking proper precautions to prevent the spread has not changed,” Kimber said. “Wearing a mask and social distancing is the best way to contain this virus if you must be out in the community. Masks are about protecting others, and they work best if both parties have them on. Remember that the virus is still contagious even if the infected person does not have symptoms.”

These guidelines might be getting tiresome, but would anyone really want to take a step back?

“I asked our city attorney to be ready with a potential return to Phase II declaration if/when we feel like that’s a necessary thing to do,” Joyce said. “I want to avoid those steps back, if at all possible. We got to figure out a way to deal with this on an ongoing basis. We’re ready to do that if we see concern around hospitalizations and healthcare stress related to the cases we’re seeing in Stillwater.”

It’s a possibility, but Joyce hopes the spread of the virus will cut down with social distancing guidelines.

And that’s the backbone of the whole thing. Stillwater needs to get to a safe plateau so Oklahoma State University can return in the fall. Which would then rejuvenate stores, restaurants, hotels, etc. In turn, restimulating the economy.

It’s like a domino effect. But with the events of the past week, questions began to swirl around if OSU opening is feasible."

https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/this-disease-is-still-spreading-in-stillwater-mayor-joyce-discusses-recent-spike-of-coronavirus-cases/article_caba8226-df0c-56c4-97e9-7e71d1a7b28e.html

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #807 on: June 18, 2020, 01:26:17 PM »
Talk about fear and mental decline! Aardvark is almost coherent enough to be a speech writer for Joe Biden, who also seems to be suffering the same Wuhan Virus mental side effects.  :lol:

The emperor has no clothes.   Well that is how in Iowa it is being presented.  The data doesn't match up with the facts. Kim The Reaper, has opened up the entire state. Yeah the state fair she is pissed, didn't see that coming that people would figure a million people in close contact with no masks might have a few sickies in them, so the canceled it this year.

She has been peeing on our boots and saying it is raining, that is about the number of cases. She starts her thing,when it moves her, that  the number of people tested, number negative and lets it end there.

Yet people are getting sick in the 0-50 range at over 50% of the cases does bother her.  Rather than have the weekly report she ran off to be with Pence in Mason City.    As far as her and her political party, the virus is a hoax, it is over, time to (as Redd said in Shawshank Redemption ," Time to start living or start dying"  Maybe she thinks that if more people die, it will open places for others to live , and think of the job possiblities.

She constantly says, " Iowans will do the right thing. and old people need to stay home."

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #808 on: June 18, 2020, 01:35:19 PM »
Of course people won't do what's right.  Among other things that's the effect of years of mindless liberalism being taught in public schools.

That's why we don't need leaders any longer, but mother figures.  We should look to NZ as an example.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #809 on: June 18, 2020, 02:04:21 PM »
As far as her and her political party, the virus is a hoax,
By the way, lies and things like this taken out of context get tiresome, but I realize that misinformation is all some have on their side.

Here is what Snopes, not exactly a right wing site, says:
Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.
He was talking about the falsehoods others were saying about the virus and his response to it.  Obviously those falsehoods continue.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #810 on: June 19, 2020, 12:38:49 AM »
Come on guys... Here is a quote from the OP:

Not meant to be a political thread.

Let's take our personal, political, opinions somewhere else. I have mine too but this isn't the place.

I've enjoyed reading Bunty's updates and other's first hand experiences and I'd hate to see the thread get shut down because some want to use it as a sounding board for their political beliefs.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #811 on: June 19, 2020, 12:47:28 AM »
WOW, Oklahoma spiked to 450 new positive cases on Thursday for an all time record increase.   Tulsa County set another daily record for new COVID-19 positives with 120.  Stillwater added on 23 new cases.  Staff members at the Oklahoma Dept. of Health are said to be overwhelmed by contact tracing efforts to try to blunt COVID-19’s spread, working seven-day weeks and unable to take time away.

Oh, no, one of my favorite restaurants, Mexico Joe's has been forced to close in dining.  I ate a nice sour cream chicken enchilada meal there a week ago. While there, I didn't observe anything wrong going on, such as a waiter wearing mask not over nose.  Fortunately, I'm still feeling fine.  Here is Mexico Joe's statement issued as of Thursday:

"With positive COVID-19 tests confirmed at Mexico Joe's, in addition to the many negative tests where our employees are being told to quarantine for 14 days, we only have staff to do Curbside Orders for the time being from 4pm-8pm. We appreciate our loyal customers continued support and concern for our team members. We will continue to evaluate the situation and hope we are reopened to dine-in experiences soon.

We feel strongly our safety and sanitation protocols are effective in protecting our team and guests inside our restaurant. Please practice social distancing and safe behaviors while in the community. We hope for the safe return of everyone to our operation. Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to seeing you soon. "
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 04:18:03 AM by Bunty »

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #812 on: June 20, 2020, 10:33:28 AM »
Just wanted to drop in with a thought.

I'm in the "err on the side of caution" group and in my early 60's and possibly in the "at risk" group.  I'll also say that I'm no genius nor very smart (no comments Slowmodem :lol: ).  The following may have been covered before (repeatedly, possibly) but I'm not going back through the thread to find out.  ;) 

Do posts stating "went up to 300 new positive cases" really put things into perspective?...to me it doesn't.  If there were 1000 tests done and there were 300 positives then that would be BIG...a 30% positive rate!  Now, if there were 10,000 tests done and there were 300 positives then that would not be quiet as big...a 3.0% rate.  Unfortunately, we may never know the correct/actual numbers as I'm not sure the "authorities" want us to know or whether they actually have the ability to keep up with it all.  We're at the mercy of the bean counters.

Just my mind trying to figure out what new "positive case" numbers mean if there isn't an associated number of new tests given with the figure?  What percentage of those tested are positive?  And, are they only testing people with symptoms or people who come in to a testing site to be tested?  Or, are they going out into the field...to the work places, people walking down the street, etc., for testing. 

I hope nobody takes this as argumentative or anything.  Just with testing (of any kind) there is so many variables involved that can skew the perceived results either painting a good or bad picture.

For me, I'm social distancing, wearing a mask in businesses, etc.,.  Probably not as well as I should, but I'm not hugging everybody at church, either.  Best wishes to you all.  Stay safe.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline zeppline

• Las Vegas Weather Guy
« Reply #813 on: June 20, 2020, 12:41:17 PM »
Hi I'm in the high risk group with type II diabetic and 79 years today. Is is hard to tell the TV channel all have different numbers. Some are reporting 4000 new cases a day an are opening and going to stage 3?. I try to stay home if I can, but if I have go out wear mask and stay away from people. When I get home take off mask and wash your hands. The more they open things the more numbers go up. All you can do is try to stay safe until they come up with a vaccine.     

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #814 on: June 20, 2020, 12:49:56 PM »
the beteljuice has discovered living alone + isolating + face masks = dusty dentures  :-|
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #815 on: June 21, 2020, 12:23:00 AM »
Locally, a rise in hospitalization is of bigger concern than more cases.  At the local hospital, there isn't much cushion for that.   Stillwater is number 10 on the list for Oklahoma cities.

In Stillwater, additional bars and restaurants have seen fit to close again.  This weekend, nights aren't as lively as usual.

Stillwater leaders eye hospitalizations as trigger for COVID-19 restrictions:

With the number of active COVID-19 cases in Stillwater rising from none to 147 over the course of two weeks, Stillwater’s city leaders, medical community and the Payne County Health Department are monitoring the situation closely and preparing to respond.

On Friday, the City of Stillwater released a statement that said a more restrictive emergency proclamation could follow if the disease’s spread isn’t slowed and Stillwater Medical Center sees an increase in patients requiring hospitalization.

The City of Stillwater has moved into Phase III of the state’s Open Up and Recover Safely plan, but could step back to Phase II provisions.

The first move would likely be a reduction in occupancy for businesses and limitations on the number of people who can attend gatherings, City Manager Norman McNickle told the News Press.

“We open it up and it explodes,” he said. “Let’s slow this thing down. We don’t want to shut things down again any more than people want us to … We are concerned. Those of us in local government are responsible for ensuring the health and safety of all of our residents. If we have to take action, we will.”

The city has seen especially rapid growth in confirmed infections over the past week, often jumping by more than 20 cases between reports and, according to the Oklahoma State Department of Health, driven by increases among people 35 or younger.

McNickle said City officials haven’t been privy to details from contact tracing of individuals but, based on generalizations, they understand that the source of many infections appears to be big groups of people in close quarters. Given the accelerating spread of the disease, he finds the number of people walking around without face coverings to be troubling.

And he worries that it will begin spreading from young, healthy people, to the older and more medically vulnerable population.

“It’s gonna jump,” McNickle said. “It’s gonna jump to the other group.”

Shyla Eggers, Stillwater Medical Center’s Director of Public Relations, says it’s already happening.

“In the last few days, we’re seeing more older patients with positive cases,” she said.

Whether Mayor Will Joyce rolls back Phase III provisions ultimately depends on how many patients with active COVID-19 infections are being treated at Stillwater Medical Center.

If the hospital shifts into its emergency plan, the city will also take action, McNickle said.

On Friday, Eggers confirmed that SMC had one patient.

If it begins to consistently see 3-4 patients, the hospital will go to its surge plan, she said. That expands its ICU capacity from 7 beds to 16. The hospital would have the ability to care for many more coronavirus patients in specific areas, while still treating other patients.

It’s something SMC’s administrators and staff would like to avoid.

“We’re disappointed that more people haven’t heeded the warnings,” Eggers said. “… It’s frustrating to see the numbers roll in.”

In a City of Stillwater release, Joyce stressed that he does not want to issue a new, more restrictive emergency proclamation, but that it may happen.

“Right now, we are focusing our efforts on more education and public outreach,” he said.

Residents are being asked to follow CDC recommendations.
FROM:  https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/local_news/stillwater-leaders-eye-hospitalizations-as-trigger-for-covid-19-restrictions/article_28ab03c9-e733-51f7-81de-5fcda329d5d9.html#tncms-source=block-contextual-fallback
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 12:25:43 AM by Bunty »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #816 on: June 21, 2020, 12:39:14 AM »
Recently, at the Stillwater Lowe's, men in white were alarming customers by going about spraying disinfectant. As a weekly local paper columnist would likely put it, that is life in the Twilight Zone:

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #817 on: June 21, 2020, 07:58:01 AM »
Hopefully, we're not literally moving into the "twilight" zone...   Interestingly, the two non-mask-wearing guys on the left side appear to be paying attention to the "men in white" whereas the two masked people appear to be simply asking directions to something.  Interesting juxtaposition of the two groups.  But, the ones without masks are being protected by the mask-wearers while the mask-wearers are in danger from the non-mask-wearers.  People simply don't care or just "don't get" the idea of wearing masks is to primarily protect others.

I absolutely agree about hospitalizations for COVID-19 is of more concern that the total number of cases.  Using the rise and fall of patients in the ICUs, CCUs, on vents, etc., to gauge the level of infections is a much more solid way of judging the virus load for an area, IMHO.

In Montgomery, Alabama, the new mayor has put out an order for mandatory mask wearing, with conditions.  It is a $25 fine for not wearing one.  The city will first give you a mask and try all avenues to wear it before actually collecting the $25 fine.  The mayor stated that the goal is to have people wearing masks...not to collect fines.  At the same time he enacted mandatory mask wearing he canceled a curfew that had been in place.

Two things that disturbed me yesterday...

First...  I live several miles outside of our two-traffic-light town.  The town is small but is on a main US highway, US331, running north-south down the middle of the southern part of the state from Montgomery to Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, ending at US98.  US98 is a major east-west Florida panhandle route to the beaches.  Traffic from I-85, I-65, and US31 converge in Montgomery and much of that traffic follows US331...almost like a funnel for those wanting to go to Destin, Sandestin, Ft Walton, etc.,.  I went into town yesterday to do some work at my shop and upon getting to US331 (I live on an east-west state highway that intersects with US331) I was met by a surprising line of traffic...headed south.  At this point US331 is 2-lane and coming off the 2-lane side-road is simply a "yield" lane for entering US331.  I had to wait probably four minutes or so before there was a gap in the traffic so I could access 331!!!  The usual tags...Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, etc., etc.,.   This was on a Saturday, mid afternoon.  Usually, the heavy beach-bound traffic is on Friday afternoons and late Sundays.  I can only imagine what the traffic was like Friday afternoon.  It appears that even though the media is reporting that Florida is a very large number of newly detected COVID-19 cases it isn't dampening people's vacation plans very much.   :shock:  #-o

The second thing, though on a much smaller local scale, is an antique auction that is held nearby...usually monthly.  I passed through the little dried up town between mean and the two-traffic-light town and they were having the sale!!!  There were probably 35 cars parked around place that houses the sale and a large crowd standing around outside the front entrance.  By large, I mean large for a small town....probably 30 or so people standing at the front of the store.  I'm not sure how many would be inside.  But, I saw *no masks* and *no social distancing*.  People were literally elbow-to-elbow. 

Small gatherings of the likes of the auction and larger masses of people traveling to a known "epicenter" for the virus...and that was seen in a single, 14-mile roundtrip from my rural home to my little town.  Similar things are most likely being seen all over the country.  Is there any wonder that we're seeing a second surge beginning?  :-(

Locally, a rise in hospitalization is of bigger concern than more cases.  At the local hospital, there isn't much cushion for that.   Stillwater is number 10 on the list for Oklahoma cities.

In Stillwater, additional bars and restaurants have seen fit to close again.  This weekend, nights aren't as lively as usual.

Stillwater leaders eye hospitalizations as trigger for COVID-19 restrictions:

With the number of active COVID-19 cases in Stillwater rising from none to 147 over the course of two weeks, Stillwater’s city leaders, medical community and the Payne County Health Department are monitoring the situation closely and preparing to respond.

On Friday, the City of Stillwater released a statement that said a more restrictive emergency proclamation could follow if the disease’s spread isn’t slowed and Stillwater Medical Center sees an increase in patients requiring hospitalization.

The City of Stillwater has moved into Phase III of the state’s Open Up and Recover Safely plan, but could step back to Phase II provisions.

The first move would likely be a reduction in occupancy for businesses and limitations on the number of people who can attend gatherings, City Manager Norman McNickle told the News Press.

“We open it up and it explodes,” he said. “Let’s slow this thing down. We don’t want to shut things down again any more than people want us to … We are concerned. Those of us in local government are responsible for ensuring the health and safety of all of our residents. If we have to take action, we will.”

The city has seen especially rapid growth in confirmed infections over the past week, often jumping by more than 20 cases between reports and, according to the Oklahoma State Department of Health, driven by increases among people 35 or younger.

McNickle said City officials haven’t been privy to details from contact tracing of individuals but, based on generalizations, they understand that the source of many infections appears to be big groups of people in close quarters. Given the accelerating spread of the disease, he finds the number of people walking around without face coverings to be troubling.

And he worries that it will begin spreading from young, healthy people, to the older and more medically vulnerable population.

“It’s gonna jump,” McNickle said. “It’s gonna jump to the other group.”

Shyla Eggers, Stillwater Medical Center’s Director of Public Relations, says it’s already happening.

“In the last few days, we’re seeing more older patients with positive cases,” she said.

Whether Mayor Will Joyce rolls back Phase III provisions ultimately depends on how many patients with active COVID-19 infections are being treated at Stillwater Medical Center.

If the hospital shifts into its emergency plan, the city will also take action, McNickle said.

On Friday, Eggers confirmed that SMC had one patient.

If it begins to consistently see 3-4 patients, the hospital will go to its surge plan, she said. That expands its ICU capacity from 7 beds to 16. The hospital would have the ability to care for many more coronavirus patients in specific areas, while still treating other patients.

It’s something SMC’s administrators and staff would like to avoid.

“We’re disappointed that more people haven’t heeded the warnings,” Eggers said. “… It’s frustrating to see the numbers roll in.”

In a City of Stillwater release, Joyce stressed that he does not want to issue a new, more restrictive emergency proclamation, but that it may happen.

“Right now, we are focusing our efforts on more education and public outreach,” he said.

Residents are being asked to follow CDC recommendations.
FROM:  https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/local_news/stillwater-leaders-eye-hospitalizations-as-trigger-for-covid-19-restrictions/article_28ab03c9-e733-51f7-81de-5fcda329d5d9.html#tncms-source=block-contextual-fallback

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #818 on: June 22, 2020, 03:12:37 PM »
Hopefully, we're not literally moving into the "twilight" zone...   Interestingly, the two non-mask-wearing guys on the left side appear to be paying attention to the "men in white" whereas the two masked people appear to be simply asking directions to something.  Interesting juxtaposition of the two groups.  But, the ones without masks are being protected by the mask-wearers while the mask-wearers are in danger from the non-mask-wearers.  People simply don't care or just "don't get" the idea of wearing masks is to primarily protect others.

I guess you can really tell a lot from a total of four people at one point in time.  From your conjecture I have to assume the one who took the picture was a non-mask-wearer as he was paying attention to the men in white.  How do you know that the mask wearers just don't ignorantly see themselves as invincible because they're wearing masks.  How do you know that the non-mask wearers aren't paying attention because they're concerned about violating the six foot rule while the invincible mask wearers aren't.

Not only is everyone a virologist now, but we're also all psychiatrists.  :-P

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 04:28:42 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #819 on: June 22, 2020, 05:10:31 PM »
I guess you can really tell a lot from a total of four people at one point in time.  From your conjecture I have to assume the one who took the picture was a non-mask-wearer as he was paying attention to the men in white.  How do you know that the mask wearers just don't ignorantly see themselves as invincible because they're wearing masks.  How do you know that the non-mask wearers aren't paying attention because they're concerned about violating the six foot rule while the invincible mask wearers aren't.

Not only is everyone a virologist now, but we're also all psychiatrists.  :-P
Actually, analyzing the photo further (not only am I a virologist and psychiatrist, but also a photo analyst now  :lol:); the photographer is obviously in front of the man on the left in the foreground.  When you see someone in front of you pull out a camera and point it past you, it's only natural to get out of the way of the camera, and to turn and look at what the cameraman is aiming at.  So the man's reaction appears to me to be completely natural.

I don't see anything strange about the other man on the left walking toward the men in white either, it is perfectly natural to glance at people as you walk by, especially men in white who someone is taking a picture of.  Look at the attention we're paying to them.  The oblivious shopper standing in the middle of the aisle, and the kid asking the man in white if he's an astronaut, could be quite normal too. :-)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 05:21:09 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #820 on: June 22, 2020, 06:03:27 PM »
Thanks for playing the part of a shrink, Doc.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #821 on: June 22, 2020, 06:57:07 PM »
Sometimes it just needs to pointed out to people that there are other more reasonable explanations, than just seeing what people want to see.

So who is showing more courtesy towards others; the man on the left who is attempting to get out of the way so that the photographer can get a clear shot, or the woman obliviously standing in the middle of the aisle forcing others to walk around her?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 08:00:31 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #822 on: June 22, 2020, 11:09:02 PM »
... or the woman obliviously standing in the middle of the aisle ...
The lady (wearing mask) is standing next to someone hidden by man in white suit. It is reasonable to assume she is 'sharing space' as part of a family group which includes the adjacent youth (wearing mask)  ;)
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #823 on: June 22, 2020, 11:35:49 PM »
Good catch.  Could be.  Still shows the problem with reading into things what you want and declaring everyone who doesn't do what you think they should do as somehow inferior or even evil.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #824 on: June 23, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »
Sometimes it just needs to pointed out to people that there are other more reasonable explanations, than just seeing what people want to see.

So who is showing more courtesy towards others; the man on the left who is attempting to get out of the way so that the photographer can get a clear shot, or the woman obliviously standing in the middle of the aisle forcing others to walk around her?
Since you are the only reasonable one here that knows what is going on I'll excuse myself from this thread.  Btw, you didn't mention that you were there.  Did you take the picture, too? 

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com