Author Topic: Using Hydreon RG-11/RG-15 as an 'It's raining' sensor on Davis?  (Read 525 times)

Offline GlynH

Been looking at the Hydreon RG11 and RG15 rain sensors and was wondering if it might be possible to connect it into a Davis VP2 to use purely as an 'It's raining!' sensor of some type?

I would like to be notified when rainfall starts/stops but before the tipping bucket has done its stuff.

I'm assuming not and so then is there any other way I might add this functionality when using a VP2...Leaf Sensor maybe? Expensive but if it works...

Shouldn't be too difficult for Davis themselves to come up with something if they were interested but I'm not holding my breath...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Using Hydreon RG-11/RG-15 as an 'It's raining' sensor on Davis?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 04:17:37 PM »
I have a Hydreon that I use as a rain input on a Temp/Humidity station. I set it as an ISS in Envoy8x and WLL.

I set the DIP switches for 0.001"/tip. It seems to give a good sense of the onset of rain. (snow doesn't work of course)

Davis assumes 0.01"/tip and it is not changeable, so the amounts are greatly exaggerated due to this 10x factor.

See my plot from the Meteohub/Envoy8x on my site:

Currently, it isn't showing anything.

I have been having some problems with my meteobridge for the past couple of days, but this chart should be OK once there is some rain.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 05:40:29 PM »
I've used the Leaf Wetness sensor as a "It's raining" setup. As soon as a few raindrops hit it, the wetness value goes up, so you know it's started raining but before the bucket tips at 0.01. Another interesting use of it I came across a few years ago was putting it in a large pipe cap with the sensor inverted, and it could detect condensing fog.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline GlynH

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 06:16:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys…sorry for the time taken to reply.

I did ask Davis some time ago what their leaf wetness sensor would look like within the iOS app but they couldn’t show me. I would still like to see how it integrates both on the Weatherlink app and website so any screenshots would be very much appreciated.

I guess you can set up an alert of some type to alert when it senses the first rain drops or drizzle?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 06:19:09 AM by GlynH »