Author Topic: meteobridge (pi) enforces which SD card you use? **solved**  (Read 1155 times)

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
meteobridge (pi) enforces which SD card you use? **solved**
« on: November 25, 2023, 04:51:39 PM »
The docs say so at least.  Seems a bit draconian.  I'm willing to take the risk the SD cards I use are good enough for at least 'initial' testing of MB to see if it adds any value for me.

Is there any way to turn that rigid behavior off ?

What exactly does MB check to know whether the card is acceptable ?  I have to think it's looking for some standard being complied with rather than a specific model number (hopefully).

« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 03:31:12 PM by docbee »
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: meteobridge (pi) enforces which SD card you use ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 05:31:08 PM »
No not draconian, quite legitimate to enforce a critical component of the hardware, the data storage, failed storage then simply fails the whole unit and users don't want a failed unit or loss of their data. This isn't something done for the sake of, it provides unit integrity and robustness based on a previous history of such failures using low end consumer grade storage.   

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 05:35:11 PM »
Disagree. Yes draconian.  We're all adults here.  We can decide to take risks especially when doing initial testing to decide if it even makes sense to proceed.    I'm cool with 'recommending' certain models and saying only those are tested etc. but once it crosses to cannot even 'try' the product without a rather hard to find model card, guess I'll have to pass.
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 06:05:17 PM »
Adults Yes, and past experience shows even adults will take the cheap option then have the hide to complain it failed, the solution works fine. MBPro2 doesn't use USB but MicroSD (much like the NanoSD) so has improved storage/system integrity over the USB sticks.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 08:36:00 AM »
You can enforce Meteobridge to accept any sd card by this hack:
Code: [Select]
http://ip-of-your-meteobridge/cgi-bin/system.cgi?touch%20/root/anysdcard
But Mattk is totally right, it is silly to do so and you will regret it when the system stalls/fails out of nothing in a couple of month. And please don't bother me or the forum when you hit the wall.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Online Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 03:39:19 AM »
@vince:
I agree with Boris in principle. Even though you can reduce the risk by a smart and regular backup/DR policy.
Maybe meanwhile some of the (non low cost) microSD cards are more robust.

I'm going to run a long time test with SanDisk High Endurance and Maximum Endurance microSD models with a parallel MB on RPi4B installation (sort of a "RAID 1" - both identical installations on identical hardware except for the storage (SD card)).
Will see what it gives.

In my case with a high data load of about 45 minute based sensor values to be stored along with the different summary tables and 4 parallel stations (not just a 5 minute weewx archiving  cycle interval with one station ;)), meaning multiply the load by four, a reliable storage medium is highly advisable.

anyhow you can circumvent now the SLC enforcement using the link provided by Boris.
On the other hand 16 GB SLC microSD storage is not so expensive either.   8-) +/- 30 USD.
But for a test of the appliance (assuming you use a RPi) it's imo fair to have a workaround.
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 12:46:09 PM »
You can enforce Meteobridge to accept any sd card by this hack:
Code: [Select]
http://ip-of-your-meteobridge/cgi-bin/system.cgi?touch%20/root/anysdcard
But Mattk is totally right, it is silly to do so and you will regret it when the system stalls/fails out of nothing in a couple of month. And please don't bother me or the forum when you hit the wall.

This is not complicated.

I have a spare pi4.  I have spare very good non-industrial SD cards.

I simply wanted to 'evaluate' the product to see if I wanted to proceed.   I should not need to buy any hard to find and expensive industrial SD card to do so.   I should be able to try the product at my own risk.

And then  "IF" it looked worth pursuing, only "THEN" was I going to try to find one of the difficult to find expensive industrial cards to run in a supported manner.

But with such a flexible and helpful welcoming community for this particular product oh hell no.  Hard pass.
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 02:39:16 PM »
You have the information, what you do with that information is up to you

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 03:35:16 PM »
You have the information, what you do with that information is up to you
[tup]
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick