Author Topic: [Customizable] Radar Apps for Android  (Read 4994 times)

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
[Customizable] Radar Apps for Android
« on: February 12, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »
I came here searching for a replacement to Pykl3 Radar since I just learned it will no longer be supported. I found an old thread started in 2011 but decided technology has changed so much since than, it would be worthwhile to start a new thread.

I happened to really appreciate this radar app for Android as it was customizable and presented the data in a great way. I liked pretty much all of the features found on there. I'd love something similar. I'm quite upset to learn that this app will no longer function or be supported.

I have been searching and see that Radarscope is one of the better recommendations. I use it on my iPad and enjoy the UI but feel that the premium features are a little costly especially when you can get some of that data in other apps for free.

I have done very preliminary research on a replacement app but thought I would see what people are using as a replacement for Pykl3 or other than Radarscope? I'm not adverse to paying for an app but I felt that I received value with Pykl3.

What are you using these days? Share your thoughts as well.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: [Customizable] Radar Apps for Android
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 07:05:25 PM »
wX is an Android app that has everything you'll need. It's a free app with no ads that uses all data from public servers. It has customization out the ying yang. In that regard there is a learning curve because there is so much data. The developer is very quick to fix any bugs and is open to all suggestions. You won't be disappointed.

The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:43:47 AM »
I also like Raindar and MyRadar.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 12:16:26 AM »
Rain Alarm is a very good app
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 03:24:27 PM »
Thank you all for the recommendations.

I've used Wx before and I guess I'll have to give a more thorough teat drive. I really like the radar data and features in Pykl3. I've been trying to find an earlier, working version apk file with no luck.

I'm looking soley for a radar app, most similar to Pykl3. I don't mind paying a yearly fee as long as there is some value but I don't use the app enough to warrant paying monthly. be

Il look through what you've all shared already and hope I can find something I like.

Thanks again.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 05:38:39 PM »
I read on the stormtrack forum that if you go to settings/data providers/NWS and select https that radar will work in pykl. It didn't work for me but I guess it is for some people.

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 06:35:37 PM »
I saw that also, Ocala. I tried that also and my results were the same as yours, no luck.

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 04:02:03 PM »
I thought I'd double back and let you all know that I have found 2 other radar apps for Android that are worth considering. Both cost $7.99. I have not dove deep into each of their features but thought I'd share them.
  • RadarOmega by Storm Mapping
  • Radar Alive Pro by Tiny Vital Systems, LLC
RadarOmega is actively being developed and rolling out at a good pace. It doesnt appear to be as polished as Radar Alive but what is included in their app seems to provide good value. At least, what features they plan on including.

Radar Alive looks to be more developed but I have not seen it offering as much as what RadarOmega plans to include.

Both apps are in the Google Play Store. I know RadarScope is out there but I can't seem to pull the trigger on it for some reason. I use it on my iPad and feel it is "lacking" something for me. I am still undecided at this point but I have at least found 2 viable replacements for Pykl3 in my opinion.

Any feedback on the aforementioned apps would be appreciated. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 04:29:00 PM »
There are two reasons I continue to use Raindar. Even though it hasn't been updated in years.

• It provides nearly instantaneous rain radar info. No delay. It seems to also update like every minute with clear time stamp on top corner.
  • It provides extreme detail and is not pixelated. You can zoom in and get street level detail.

The Raindar app is a bit quirky. You have to tap and move the map slightly to get it to refresh sometimes. Sure it doesn't have much else in terms of features but it does the two things I pointed out really well, unlike many others that may have more features but fail in my two points. Using just this app I'm able to predict down to almost the minute when the rain is going to start and when it is going to stop (all withing 20 minutes of start/stop of rain). I'm not saying I can predict tomorrows rain fall time. I'm just referring to more immediate information. It is very helpful when you are stuck somewhere and you wish to know if to hold out or to make a run for it (like running out to your parked car).

If anyone wants to recommend a radar app please include details on how well it covers these two requirements of mine. I have looked at a few radar apps and I've not been able to find a replacement for these two basic functions.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:33:19 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 06:56:45 PM »
Been following Radar Omega myself. Still in the early stages but it has promise.
As for Pykl I'm currently on a free trial with allison house as a data provider. I know in the past when the demand gets heavy the public servers lag behind. Just might keep it. That's the only way to get Pykl to work at this time. Can also use the allison house sub with Radarscope too.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:00:10 PM by ocala »

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 01:27:47 PM »
I did read somewhere that earlier versions of Pykl3 could still work. I have not been able to safely obtain an apk file for a previous version though.

I heard Allison House was the way to continue using Pykl3. Unfortunately, I don't have a pressing need to pay that monthly subscription fee. If I had a more serious use for a radar app, I would pay for it. I just cannot justify that big of a monthly payment at the moment. I don't mind paying fees but that is a bit out of budget for me.

Ocala, do you have any early feedback of the service, other than what you've highlighted already?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 06:41:21 PM »
Service is good. $12 a month isn't bad but I'll probably dump it until summer when the rainy season comes. At this time just isn't enough action to justify it other then keeping Pykl going.
If you go to this link http://www.pykl3radar.com/eol.php there is an earlier version of Pykl. 2.9.1.4. I tied installing it but my phone won't do it even though I allowed 3rd party apps.
I'm on version 2.9.1.6.3 so maybe that's why the https option won't work. 

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 01:24:45 PM »
Update on this.
The link above does work and the apk installs with no issues.
The problem before was that I still had the app already installed. If you uninstall the original version and download the one from the above link the program works fine. Just remember under setting/data providers to check the box next to NWS for https access.
Using the app as I write this and everything is current. :-)

Offline IFG

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »
This is the most recent discussion activity I could find about PYKL3, so I was hoping to find someone who managed to download the supplemental program files.  The PYKL3 website is still live and the last released APK file can still be downloaded, but the link to the supplemental files is dead.  See http://pykl3radar.com/eol.php

I've been a long-time enthusiastic PYKL3 user and was sad when end of support was announced in 2018.  While the app has still continued to work in limited capacity, I now use an AH subscription to render it fully functional.  I'd like to have a copy of the supplemental files for safe keeping and for future re/installation.