Poll

Should Ambient/Ecowitt do the following...

WS2000/HP2551: Move up temperature and wind circles and make "Feels Like...Dewpoint...etc" text larger. Refer to image below.
2 (5.4%)
WS2000/HP2551: Center align "Gust 0.0" and "mph" text. Refer to image below.
4 (10.8%)
WS2000/HP2551: Add a weather radar image screen. In settings, allow a user to input a web link to a radar image.
6 (16.2%)
Ambient/Ecowitt/WS View App: Display Ws2000/Ws2902a/HP2551 weather data from local network. Faster updates, no internet required. Switch to remote data when out of range.
7 (18.9%)
Ability to make individual weather sensor data private or public on the Ambient/Ecowitt websites.
7 (18.9%)
Sell a wind sensor with 200mph max wind speed. Change wind speed sensor transmit rate according to weather conditions. Wind speed quickly changing(2 second updates).
8 (21.6%)
None of the Above.
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Poll #3: Larger Info Bar Text, Center Align Gust/mph, Radar Image, Local Data...  (Read 1640 times)

Offline 49studebaker

Current Interface:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Circles moved up and info bar text size increased:

Centered "Gust 0.0" and "mph":
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 02:28:42 PM by 49studebaker »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Poll: Should Ambient/Ecowitt do the following...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 12:06:16 AM »
Ambient/Ecowitt/WS View App: Display Ws2000/Ws2902a/HP2551 weather data from local network. Faster updates, no internet required.

This is already possible using an Ecowitt GW1000, which works with more than just Ecowitt stations as it is compatible with Ambient branded stations (WS-2000, WS-2902A, WS-1900, WS-1550-IP...and others). If this was the case then I would still need the GW1000 because without it I don't get Ecowitt.net with my Ambient console.

I can see the WS-2000/HP2551 gaining this capability but I think the WS-2902A hardware may be not sufficient to support this. I'm not saying this with any authority or knowledge, just a feeling and opinion.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 12:53:55 PM »
Ambient/Ecowitt/WS View App: Display Ws2000/Ws2902a/HP2551 weather data from local network. Faster updates, no internet required.

This is already possible using an Ecowitt GW1000, which works with more than just Ecowitt stations as it is compatible with Ambient branded stations (WS-2000, WS-2902A, WS-1900, WS-1550-IP...and others). If this was the case then I would still need the GW1000 because without it I don't get Ecowitt.net with my Ambient console.

I can see the WS-2000/HP2551 gaining this capability but I think the WS-2902A hardware may be not sufficient to support this. I'm not saying this with any authority or knowledge, just a feeling and opinion.

I know it is possible with the GW1000. The GW1000 is like Acurite's Access. You can access the weather sensor data without a console.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »
I know it is possible with the GW1000. The GW1000 is like Acurite's Access. You can access the weather sensor data without a console.

Oh H*** no! The GW1000 has two methods of getting data from it. "Customized server" and local API which Meteobridge and Weather-Display software take advantage of. Acurite provides no way of getting data from the Access. I know it is possible to get data from the Access but it involves DNS hacking trickery or WU packet interception as methods done by Acuparse and WeeWx. Acurite has done nothing to help their customers get their data from the Access.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:34:41 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 03:49:00 AM »

Oh H*** no! The GW1000 has two methods of getting data from it. "Customized server" and local API which Meteobridge and Weather-Display software take advantage of. Acurite provides no way of getting data from the Access. I know it is possible to get data from the Access but it involves DNS hacking trickery or WU packet interception as methods done by Acuparse and WeeWx. Acurite has done nothing to help their customers get their data from the Access.

This is exactly why I lost all interest in the AcuRite Atlas and started looking at Ecowitt. I want my data when and where I want it.
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 07:35:48 AM »

This is exactly why I lost all interest in the AcuRite Atlas and started looking at Ecowitt. I want my data when and where I want it.

Yeah but you can't have your cake and eat it too. You live in very dry climate and Ambient/Ecowitt/Fine Offset with SHT30 temp/hum sensor can't provide you with accurate sub 10% humidity and dew point. There are other issues too with Fine Offset clones.

No matter what brand you choose...there is always a compromise. If that compromise were just price in the case of Davis I would accept it (pay for the best and get the best). But Davis has its issues too. You can't win.
Tele-Pole

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 08:15:59 AM »
Yeah but you can't have your cake and eat it too. You live in very dry climate and Ambient/Ecowitt/Fine Offset with SHT30 temp/hum sensor can't provide you with accurate sub 10% humidity and dew point. There are other issues too with Fine Offset clones.

No matter what brand you choose...there is always a compromise. If that compromise were just price in the case of Davis I would accept it (pay for the best and get the best). But Davis has its issues too. You can't win.

Very true, but I am willing to deal with that compromise as long as I have complete control of my data. Davis has lost my interest simply because they seem to have shunned innovation, other than their AeroCone redesigned rain collector.
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Online CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 03:07:38 PM »

SHT30 temp/hum sensor can't provide you with accurate sub 10% humidity and dew point.
Quit blaming the SHT30, it's not the sensor's issue, it's the PWS's.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 07:48:42 PM »

SHT30 temp/hum sensor can't provide you with accurate sub 10% humidity and dew point.

Okay. Good point. I'll work with Fine Offset and find out if they can stop blocking sub 10% RH.
Tele-Pole

Online CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 07:55:39 PM »

Okay. Good point. I'll work with Fine Offset and find out if they can stop blocking sub 10% RH.
For sure. I always wondered why the full range is not taken advantage of, albeit not as accurate, but better than nothing for us desert dwellers.

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 12:22:36 AM »
bump

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 11:25:50 PM »
vote

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 08:45:36 PM »

Will they stop blocking sub 10% RH?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 09:30:34 PM »

I never got an real answer other than that they would pass the request. I suppose that there are reasons why it is blocked. This may be something that is beyond the control of the engineers. It isn't that they can't unblock it, it is that doing so changes the behavior of the station in regards station specifications. Below 10% RH the SHT30 is not as accurate. Currently they state: "Humidity range: 10% ~ 99%; Accuracy: 5%" and if it is unblocked then what would they need to say about station accuracy? They could go by Sensirion specifications for the SHT30 or they might need to do their own testing. But either way I can see how unblocking it kinda makes a mess of the situation. I think a better solution would be for them to start using the SHT31 and then allow the full range with its better accuracy.
Tele-Pole

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 10:05:17 PM »

I never got an real answer other than that they would pass the request. I suppose that there are reasons why it is blocked. This may be something that is beyond the control of the engineers. It isn't that they can't unblock it, it is that doing so changes the behavior of the station in regards station specifications. Below 10% RH the SHT30 is not as accurate. Currently they state: "Humidity range: 10% ~ 99%; Accuracy: 5%" and if it is unblocked then what would they need to say about station accuracy? They could go by Sensirion specifications for the SHT30 or they might need to do their own testing. But either way I can see how unblocking it kinda makes a mess of the situation. I think a better solution would be for them to start using the SHT31 and then allow the full range with its better accuracy.

They could add an option in settings or an option on a hidden features menu accessable via a certain button combination.

anything