Author Topic: New VP2 Pro Plus with FARS in Oregon  (Read 2818 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: New VP2 Pro Plus with FARS in Oregon
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 05:39:55 PM »
My backyard isn't much better so have station off the deck as a compromise because it has the best chance of receiving correct rainfall also receives the most sun. This is for personal use only.
My real station pictured below reports weather conditions for CWOP and website is located in open field.
Sorry, OT, but is that your new digs? Nice deck, too. What's the remote TX for, rain, temp?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 06:04:35 PM »
My backyard isn't much better so have station off the deck as a compromise because it has the best chance of receiving correct rainfall also receives the most sun. This is for personal use only.
My real station pictured below reports weather conditions for CWOP and website is located in open field.
Sorry, OT, but is that your new digs? Nice deck, too. What's the remote TX for, rain, temp?
Yep, the new place. I'm using the Texas instrument raingauge at the house and Meteoshield for now, Davis ISS and sensors. Haven't put the anemometer up, not even sure I will with the trees.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 06:22:05 PM »
Yep, the new place.

Very nice. Haven't seen you much here lately, figured you're busy with the move.
Haven't put the anemometer up, not even sure I will with the trees.
:lol: Sure you will...

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 08:11:41 PM »

Very nice. Haven't seen you much here lately, figured you're busy with the move.
Haven't put the anemometer up, not even sure I will with the trees.
:lol: Sure you will...
[/quote]

Thanks, it's been a little hectic around here. Slowing down but still a full garage of stuff to move over, taking a little break right now. 
Randy

Offline cedarridgewx

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 08:23:59 PM »
would still appreciate feedback on how far in to move my ISS.
Thanks
P
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
Portland, OR, USA

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2019, 08:51:47 PM »
would still appreciate feedback on how far in to move my ISS.
Thanks
P
Your new user name threw me, nonetheless, I think we've pretty much covered the bases. Ball's in your court.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 01:38:06 PM »
Realize you are aware of this by now, but just chiming in because I used to have a very similar set up to yours.  At my old house my VP2 with FARS was about 1-2 feet away from a brown fence AND I had a small patch of mulch below it.  The temperatures were always elevated because of this when the sun was beating down.  Don't underestimate the ability of the dark mulch and fence to radiate heat. 

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »
I changed the passive shield for FARS vp2 on my deck (previous pic ) and still running 2-3 degrees above the passive shield under full sun located in the open field. Not far away either under 1/2 mile.  Amazing amount of heat a wood deck puts out plus wood siding on a house vs an open field setup with no heat sources.

I actually thought something was wrong with the field sensor so changed it out and then cross-checked with certified sensor and still running 2-3 degrees cooler vs back at the house with wood deck.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 05:46:51 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 06:49:48 PM »
Amazing amount of heat a wood deck puts out plus wood siding on a house vs an open field setup with no heat sources.
Sitting, sitting, sitting... =D>

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 08:49:13 PM »
I changed the passive shield for FARS vp2 on my deck (previous pic ) and still running 2-3 degrees above the passive shield under full sun located in the open field. Not far away either under 1/2 mile.  Amazing amount of heat a wood deck puts out plus wood siding on a house vs an open field setup with no heat sources.

I actually thought something was wrong with the field sensor so changed it out and then cross-checked with certified sensor and still running 2-3 degrees cooler vs back at the house with wood deck.

This presents a very good point.  Under the OP's circumstances, should he/she have gone with a VP2 with a passive shield?  Last thing you want to do is suck up warm air from a mulch bed or fence, while in a very small enclosed area. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »

This presents a very good point.  Under the OP's circumstances, should he/she have gone with a VP2 with a passive shield?  Last thing you want to do is suck up warm air from a mulch bed or fence, while in a very small enclosed area.
I'm sure Randy will back me here, but no difference. I've said numerous times, all a fan does is show the error of an improperly sat ISS faster and more responsively than a passive shield will.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 09:40:09 PM »
True,
Ideally, my sensor shield should be located further away from house and deck 5-6' off the grass yard and leave rain gauge at the current location out of the tree canopy and sprinklers.
This will give the best results for both temperature and rainfall.
Randy