Author Topic: Heat Wave Heads To Upper Midwest  (Read 24832 times)

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
Re: Heat Wave Heads To Upper Midwest
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2011, 05:50:14 PM »

Oh my goodness! Those are absolutely incredible numbers.

Yeah, I can't imagine having to work outside in those conditions. Have youth outdoor sports been canceled? I saw in yesterday's news that at least one high school in Georgia was either canceling outdoor practices or holding them indoors. Some others canceled all afternoon practices.

There have been a lot of HS football teams doing their practices in the early morning and canceling two-a-days.

Another record fell today..well, it will fall if we don't see temperatures below 88.  Tulsa just set its all-time record warm low temperature EVER at 88 degrees this morning.  Yuck.  High is forecast for 109.  High yesterday at my station was 113.9.  Official high at the airport was 112.

Absolutely incredible!

Last year a colleague/friend of mine took a tenure-track faculty position near Tulsa and moved his family there. This is their first full summer there, and neither he nor his wife has ever lived outside of MI. I should contact him and see how much they like it there now. ;)

But with the caveat that this is extraordinary, even for here.  Typical summers include 5-10 days of 100+ temperatures, and averages for this time of the year are usually in the mid-nineties.

;)

Yeah. I have relatives in OK but I've never been there. I have a feeling that I would like it there very much.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2011, 06:01:21 PM »
Finally cooling way down in Southern Oklahoma. Don't think we will hit 110° today.  ](*,)
8/2/11  112.6°
8/3/11  112.8°
8/4/11  110.2°
8/5/11  110.2°
8/6/11  109.4° (so far today)

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »
Finally cooling way down in Southern Oklahoma. Don't think we will hit 110° today.  ](*,)
8/2/11  112.6°
8/3/11  112.8°
8/4/11  110.2°
8/5/11  110.2°
8/6/11  109.4° (so far today)

LOL..

Here's a sight.  This is my front yard about 15 minutes ago.  The reason the photo looks kinda dark is because we may have some rain headed in.

It's still 109 though.

Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2011, 12:23:46 AM »
Well, my banner will likely be stuck where it's at for a while; power went out at my house at 6:30 pm and as of 11:20 still hasn't returned.  I ventured out and up to work to charge my phone and get a little caught up while I was the only one here.  Pretty nasty downburst ripped the roof off an outside stage for a festival that was happening in downtown, so they had to shut that down.  At 6pm it was about 106; right now it's flirting with 80 and we've had a little over a quarter of an inch of rain.

AEP-PSO (our illustrious power provider) is saying that for some of us, power may not be restored until Sunday night at 7pm.  I may be spending the afternoon at my brothers if they cannot get the power back on before daybreak.  Right now, it's comfortable in the house (around 83) but the worse part is no air movement.  I can handle 83 if I have fans going.  No power = no fans.  Ugh.  What a weird summer.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2011, 03:29:10 AM »
Stillwater only got the mild and less wild part of the storm that went through here Sat. evening.  There was more lightening than rain with only .08".  Power went out but only for a couple of minutes.  But 10 miles to the south, Perkins, got 1.14" and was where a home got struck by lightening that set a fire.  The 5 lane rural highway between Stillwater and Perkins was a treacherous place.  A semi got overturned by winds of around 70mph. A church had part of its roof blown off.  Power lines were down on the highway and so it was closed for about two hours. Story at:  http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x670921269/Storm-wreaks-havoc-on-Stillwater-area
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:37:39 AM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »
Stillwater only got the mild and less wild part of the storm that went through here Sat. evening.  There was more lightening than rain with only .08".  Power went out but only for a couple of minutes.  But 10 miles to the south, Perkins, got 1.14" and was where a home got struck by lightening that set a fire.  The 5 lane rural highway between Stillwater and Perkins was a treacherous place.  A semi got overturned by winds of around 70mph. A church had part of its roof blown off.  Power lines were down on the highway and so it was closed for about two hours. Story at:  http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x670921269/Storm-wreaks-havoc-on-Stillwater-area

We had a LOT of lightning that was creating concerns with the fires burning out near Keystone and Mannford.  One of my friends is a police dispatcher for the city of Mannford (can't really call a city with 5000 people a city, but you get the gist) and took several photos.  A few houses burned.  What happened with us was collapse microbursts.  Mid part of town, about 2 miles south of me got a collapsing downburst that blew out the windows of a brake shop, threw little trees and limbs everywhere.  I had a decent weighted bucket get thrown across the street during the height of it all.

Here's WFO TSA's latest AFD (I know, alphabet soup..)

FXUS64 KTSA 071935
AFDTSA

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TULSA OK
235 PM CDT SUN AUG 7 2011

.DISCUSSION...

DENSE CLOUD COVER AND AREA OF SHOWERS/STORMS ALIGNED ALONG THE
INTERSTATE 40 CORRIDOR HAVE KEPT TEMPERATURES CLOSER TO NORMAL
ACROSS THAT PART OF THE FORECAST AREA. FORT SMITH IS ON THE VERGE
OF BREAKING THEIR TRIPLE DIGIT STREAK...AS THEIR HIGH HAS ONLY
BEEN 99 SO FAR...AND DENSER CLOUD COVER IS ATOP THE AREA AT THE
MOMENT.

OVERNIGHT POPS WILL BE A GAME TIME DECISION...BASED ON HOW THE
SHOWERS NEAR I-40 ARE BEHAVING. GREATEST CHANCE OF PRECIP
OVERNIGHT LOOKS TO BE IN FAR NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA AND INTO NORTHWEST
ARKANSAS WITH CONVECTION ORIGINATING IN KANSAS AND MISSOURI
SKIRTING THE AREA.

OUR LAST VERY HOT DAY FOR AWHILE SHOULD BE TOMORROW...WITH
TEMPERATURES AGAIN APPROACHING 110 FOR A GOOD CHUNK OF EASTERN
OKLAHOMA AND WEST CENTRAL ARKANSAS. SOUTH TO SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL
BE SUSTAINED IN THE 15 TO 20 MPH RANGE IN EASTERN OKLAHOMA...WITH
FREQUENT GUSTS ABOVE 20 MPH...WHICH WILL ONLY WORSEN THE ONGOING
FIRE DANGER. THESE SPEEDS ARE MARGINAL FOR A WARNING...BUT
TEMPERATURE/RELATIVE HUMIDITY COMBO MORE THAN MAKES UP FOR THE
RELATIVE LACK OF WIND SPEED. FIRE WEATHER WATCH CONFIGURATION
LOOKS GOOD FOR NOW...AND WILL PASS ON ANY UPGRADE DECISION TO
FUTURE SHIFTS.

THUNDERSTORM CHANCES INCREASE LATE TOMORROW AND INTO TOMORROW
NIGHT AS A FRONT BEGINS TO MOVE THROUGH THE AREA. SEVERE WEATHER
WILL BE POSSIBLE...WITH DOWNBURST POTENTIAL HIGH.

MEDIUM RANGE MODELS CONTINUE TO BE SOMEWHAT INCONSISTENT ON THE
DETAILS OF THE FRONTAL PASSAGE AND COOLDOWN...MOST NOTABLY THE
TIMING. CURRENT DATA SUGGEST THAT THE WEEKEND WILL BRING THE
INFLUENCE OF TRUE NORTHWEST FLOW INTO THE REGION...WHICH COULD
ACTUALLY LEAD TO A COUPLE OF DAYS OF BELOW NORMAL HIGHS FOR PARTS
OF THE REGION. PRECIP POTENTIAL WILL ALSO REMAIN IN THE FORECAST
FOR MUCH OF NEXT WEEK AND THE WEEKEND. WENT FAIRLY CONSERVATIVE
WITH THE COOLDOWN...KEEPING NEAR TO ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES IN
THE FORECAST. HOWEVER...AFTER THE TEMPERATURES OF LATE...MID/UPPER
90S ARE VERY WELCOME FOR MOST.

&&

.PRELIMINARY POINT TEMPS/POPS...
TUL   83 110  77 100 /  20  20  30   0
FSM   82 110  79 100 /  10  10  40  10
MLC   82 107  79 102 /  10   0  20  10
BVO   75 112  72  98 /  20  20  40   0
FYV   76 102  72  94 /  20  20  50  10
BYV   76 101  71  91 /  30  20  60  10
MKO   81 107  75 101 /  10  20  30  10
MIO   76 107  73  95 /  30  30  50   0
F10   81 109  76 101 /  10  10  20  10
HHW   82 106  81 103 /  10   0  10  10

&&
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2011, 04:58:40 PM »
No weather of that sort down here....keep talking of a cool down but it always seems to be a couple of days out. Now after another day at or above 105°(107.7° so far today) here is the lovely new forecast discussion:
.....PRE-FRONTAL WARMING WILL LIKELY MAKE MONDAY AFTERNOON THE
HOTTEST OF THE SEASON SO FAR IN PART OF CENTRAL OKLAHOMA. THE FRONT
ATTACHED TO THE SURFACE LOW IS EXPECTED TO MOVE INTO NORTHWEST
OKLAHOMA LATE MORNING MONDAY SO TEMPERATURES HAVE BEEN LOWERED
SLIGHTLY THERE. AREAS TO THE SOUTH ARE EXPECTED TO BE MUCH HOTTER
THAN EVEN TODAY
Starting to wonder just how hot is it gonna get before this is over.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:00:18 PM by DougW »

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2011, 09:47:04 AM »
    I hope we have started a trend here.  We have not had the brutally hot weather we, and everyone else, was having for the last several days.  The heat index was in the mid 90's but that was mild compared to previous days.  And the forecast for today is a high of 84*F and then in the high 70's later in the week.  I hope it gets to everyone who is tired of sweating soon!

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2011, 05:35:34 PM »
WOW what a day.   high if 73   low expected of 55

Humidity is normal.   Windows are open.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »
No weather of that sort down here....keep talking of a cool down but it always seems to be a couple of days out. Now after another day at or above 105°(107.7° so far today) here is the lovely new forecast discussion:
.....PRE-FRONTAL WARMING WILL LIKELY MAKE MONDAY AFTERNOON THE
HOTTEST OF THE SEASON SO FAR IN PART OF CENTRAL OKLAHOMA. THE FRONT
ATTACHED TO THE SURFACE LOW IS EXPECTED TO MOVE INTO NORTHWEST
OKLAHOMA LATE MORNING MONDAY SO TEMPERATURES HAVE BEEN LOWERED
SLIGHTLY THERE. AREAS TO THE SOUTH ARE EXPECTED TO BE MUCH HOTTER
THAN EVEN TODAY
Starting to wonder just how hot is it gonna get before this is over.

I'm going to guess you guys haven't got the front we've had over the last evening.  Even though we're in the upper 90s, and it looks like that the string 100 degree temps is over (not at my station though, as she broke 100 by .8 degrees).  Looks to be cooler tomorrow and for the next few days, also.  Chance of rain.  Hope you guys see that as well.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2011, 08:21:52 PM »
Hit 111.6° this afternoon. That makes 44 in a row above 100° with the grand total this year of 49 above 100°.
Do see a light at the end of the tunnel (hope its not a train) with forecast highs to drop the next few days to 103-105°.
 Everything really in a state of stress due to heat and drought. Forget trying to save the grass just hoping to save the scrubs that the wife spent money on. In fact it is beginning to look a lot like fall here. Trees are beginning to drop their leaves and the grass looks like frost has already fell. Looks like a lot of the trees around town are actually dying. The last rain we got was July the 4Th of .45" but that fell in about 10 minutes. Before that  was June 14Th with .35".
 Cats are laying down in any water they can find...never seen that before!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:34:54 PM by DougW »

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »
Today was 92 but with low humidity.  It felt pretty good. 
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2011, 03:06:52 AM »
Unlike Saturday, Stillwater got the strong part of the storm that meant business Monday evening after a high of 108.  Storms earlier that day in the northwest part of the state had gusts up to 96 mph.  So when the storm came in, hearing the roar of the wind every time it came up was rather frightening.  The wind stirred up a lot of flying leaves and twigs throughout the air.  Wind got up to 47 mph at my place with no hail.  On the north side it was 80 mph.    On the west side 67 mph. Rain was around half inch. Electrical power was knocked out in as much as half of town.  It stayed on here but Internet, cable TV and phone were out until about 9 am Tuesday.

A number of people had downed tree branches and fences.  My neighbor had a large upper limb down from an oak tree.  It wasn't  surprising it was the only tree that had major damage in the area, since it was already weakened from a lightening strike that went down its bark a few years ago.

Much of central and northern part of Oklahoma were hit hard that day.  Near Ponca City at Kaw Lake where Stillwater gets it water through a 40 mile long pipeline, a power outage at the pumping station has temporary resulted in voluntary water restrictions.  The rest of the week's forecast has chance of more rain by at least 20%.  Hopefully, no more high wind with the rain.

More at:  http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x670923064/High-winds-and-rain-hit-Stillwater

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2011, 10:33:06 AM »
Unlike Saturday, Stillwater got the strong part of the storm that meant business Monday evening after a high of 108.  Storms earlier that day in the northwest part of the state had gusts up to 96 mph.  So when the storm came in, hearing the roar of the wind every time it came up was rather frightening.  The wind stirred up a lot of flying leaves and twigs throughout the air.  Wind got up to 47 mph at my place with no hail.  On the north side it was 80 mph.    On the west side 67 mph. Rain was around half inch. Electrical power was knocked out in as much as half of town.  It stayed on here but Internet, cable TV and phone were out until about 9 am Tuesday.

A number of people had downed tree branches and fences.  My neighbor had a large upper limb down from an oak tree.  It wasn't  surprising it was the only tree that had major damage in the area, since it was already weakened from a lightening strike that went down its bark a few years ago.

Much of central and northern part of Oklahoma were hit hard that day.  Near Ponca City at Kaw Lake where Stillwater gets it water through a 40 mile long pipeline, a power outage at the pumping station has temporary resulted in voluntary water restrictions.  The rest of the week's forecast has chance of more rain by at least 20%.  Hopefully, no more high wind with the rain.

More at:  http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x670923064/High-winds-and-rain-hit-Stillwater

Once again, Tulsa got hit fairly hard overnight.  Many power outages.  Winds upwards of 70 mph.  Trees down.

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/tulsa-under-severe-thunderstorm-watch/nDGfq/
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »
Stillwater was fortunate enough to dodge the high winds part of the storms last night. But much of the heavy rain, unfortunately.  Now, this afternnoon, in the northern half of Oklahoma,  including Oklahoma City, the temperatures are having trouble getting out of the 80s, even with the sun shining.  What a cool and delightful change!

More storms forecasted tonight  -  Oklahoma Weather Synopsis:   A cold front that slipped into Oklahoma early this week had been strengthened by the arrival of rain and breezy easterly winds. The front will sit near Mangum to Pauls Valley to Coalgate this afternoon...with very hot weather to the south...and somewhat milder weather to the north. Scattered strong storms are expected near the front and also on the high terrain of far western Oklahoma. Strong storms will expand east and north overnight.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:37:25 PM by Bunty »

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2011, 10:32:22 PM »
Stillwater was fortunate enough to dodge the high winds part of the storms last night. But much of the heavy rain, unfortunately.  Now, this afternnoon, in the northern half of Oklahoma,  including Oklahoma City, the temperatures are having trouble getting out of the 80s, even with the sun shining.  What a cool and delightful change!

More storms forecasted tonight  -  Oklahoma Weather Synopsis:   A cold front that slipped into Oklahoma early this week had been strengthened by the arrival of rain and breezy easterly winds. The front will sit near Mangum to Pauls Valley to Coalgate this afternoon...with very hot weather to the south...and somewhat milder weather to the north. Scattered strong storms are expected near the front and also on the high terrain of far western Oklahoma. Strong storms will expand east and north overnight.

Very pleasant this evening.  Another round of small storms just to my southwest, but nothing incredibly damaging like we've had in the last three or four days.

Will Rogers (a native Oklahoman from my part of Oklahoma) once said 'If you don't like the weather in Oklahoma, just wait a minute...'
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2011, 01:56:08 PM »
Finally......rain.....yes water droplets falling from the sky :shock:.We have dropped to 70° and .99" so far with more thunder to the West. Also came with a 48mph wind gust.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2011, 11:23:20 PM »
The bad storm here from last week severely damaged the Veterans' Memorial at Boomer Lake Park, pictured below.  Two of five large 8 ft. tall granite slabs representing  the five miltary branches were toppled over and broken.  Storm winds gusted as high as 80 mph.  The slabs together represented freedom's flame.  Only up for about five years, the monument was a source of great pride for the community. (Note, that old Glory still flies as usual in the upper left background.) Hopefully, it can soon be restored to its former glory.

In other Oklahoma storm damage, fans of famed architect, Bruce Goff, will be saddened to learn that one of his bizarre plans that was actually built, the Bavenger House, sustained damage from a recent severe storm.  As a result, it is no longer open to the public for guided tours.  It's located near Norman.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:33:15 PM by Bunty »