Author Topic: What's wrong with Davis consoles?  (Read 7848 times)

Offline Ken7

Re: What's wrong with Davis consoles?
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2019, 11:58:08 AM »
Obviously I've upset some folks, prejudice being what it is,  who are die hard DAVIS fans.  Nothing I would be able to articulate at this point is going to make any difference, minds are made up it seems with those holding on to their views and challenging anyone who has one that differs. 
Cheers!

As a long time Davis owner, I'd agree. There is absolutely no reason the data from the sensor array can't be presented in a more easily read and, heaven forbid, colorful way so as to be more appealing to those looking for the data and those looking for a more 'artful' presentation of the data. Both can mutually coexist.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2019, 12:24:06 PM »
ok lets throw some bait out

“It's superior to Davis in console technology, wireless internet connectivity, ability to integrate additional sensors, spare parts support, etc.”

which bit are you NOT reading i think you are clearly highlighting lack of experience here .

ability to integrate additional sensors best you start doing your homework ..
spare parts again do your homework again look around this forum i can name numerous suppliers of spare parts worldwide not confined to just the US..
wireless internet what does the diagram i posted above highlight .

1. I guess I missed the part where the Davis Console can monitor the ISS and up to 8 additional wireless sensors placed wherever you want.
2. I'm sure you can scour the internet for spare parts but there's no obvious support from Davis.com.
3. Your diagram highlights the need for 3rd party or "roll your own" solutions in order to implement wireless internet connectivity. (no integrated solutions from Davis)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2019, 12:45:36 PM »
Please remind me what the topic is.

=D>
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
ok lets throw some bait out

“It's superior to Davis in console technology, wireless internet connectivity, ability to integrate additional sensors, spare parts support, etc.”

which bit are you NOT reading i think you are clearly highlighting lack of experience here .

ability to integrate additional sensors best you start doing your homework ..
spare parts again do your homework again look around this forum i can name numerous suppliers of spare parts worldwide not confined to just the US..
wireless internet what does the diagram i posted above highlight .

1. I guess I missed the part where the Davis Console can monitor the ISS and up to 8 additional wireless sensors placed wherever you want.
2. I'm sure you can scour the internet for spare parts but there's no obvious support from Davis.com.
3. Your diagram highlights the need for 3rd party or "roll your own" solutions in order to implement wireless internet connectivity. (no integrated solutions from Davis)

hmmm ok lets call it day perhaps one day you will understand ..number 2 i simply don’t understand that and why you think that and number 3 ws2000 has only a limited capability of services to send data to then requires 3rd party to go beyond ..you seem to imply third party being as something negative but im guessing the underlying reason is cost and you want all the bells and whistles for around $200 or so..its a bit like walking into a car showroom asking for everything the latest maserati has but you want it all for the price of a toyota  ..as i said above its about personal justification of cost and you can see from a few  posts here im not alone in being frustrated at the durability issues of ambient all in one solutions .been there and just simply cant advise anyone without raising those durability issues ..stick by my words if you can justify the cost you wont regret if you cant justify the cost then something like a ws2000 or alike is the path you should take we all have our limits ..take care ..brian

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2019, 04:08:04 PM »
hmmm ok lets call it day perhaps one day you will understand

Yes, let's call it a day.  The OP asked for comments on the Davis console and I think he got his money's worth from all sides.  He can compare and contrast these viewpoints based on his specific priorities.

I did say in my post #34 that my "wish list" was <<$500. (not $200). I also prefer a total "turnkey" solution from one manufacturer vs. an ala carte building block approach.

Have a good day!!

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2019, 04:11:53 PM »
hmmm ok lets call it day perhaps one day you will understand

Yes, let's call it a day.  The OP asked for comments on the Davis console and I think he got his money's worth from all sides.  He can compare and contrast these viewpoints based on his specific priorities.

I did say in my post #34 that my "wish list" was <<$500. (not $200). I also prefer a total "turnkey" solution from one manufacturer vs. an ala carte building block approach.

Have a good day!!
no worries no harm in agreeing to disagree..you too have good day..

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2019, 04:17:50 PM »
Nothing at Davis.com 
Believe it or not, Davis.com is different from the Davis Instruments that makes the Vantage Pro.  Try davisnet.com or davisinstruments.com.

Offline JayW

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2019, 05:40:32 PM »
Excellent point - it did drift a little. As OP I stipulated in post #1: " Davis instruments are accurate, robust, and repairable..." so that's a given. I don't mind seeing the stipulated facts re-emphasized, but really my only interest and the basic question is, "what's wrong with Davis consoles?"

I'm here because I'm considering a VP2, and since it is real money I want to know what I'm buying into.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2019, 05:41:24 PM »
Nothing at Davis.com 
Believe it or not, Davis.com is different from the Davis Instruments that makes the Vantage Pro.  Try davisnet.com or davisinstruments.com.
Oh yeah, good catch, completely forgot about that common address error. Still, Davis is the last place I'd go as there's half a dozen other places that are cheaper that sell OEM parts.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »
"what's wrong with Davis consoles?"

I'm here because I'm considering a VP2, and since it is real money I want to know what I'm buying into.
I think it's to the point you'll have to research what's left, it could be debated ad nauseum.
Be certain, the VP2 is unequivocally tried and tested, you get what you pay for. Mine's coming up on it's 12 year in the Tucson sun, never shaded, sunup to sundown.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »
My office was located in an area with many other engineer/programmer/software developers and I can attest that they found that the DAVIS was too technical to be intuitive at a glance for their customer/users to appreciate it's data

I've found that to be true to a point.  But I understand the concept because there's so much information in such a small component.  There's a lot of buttons that have to be pushed to find what you're looking for.

I have a Vue console and it's connected via data logger with serial port connection to a Dell Dimension 2300 computer (bought in 2001).  They are connected to a UPS.  They've been running flawlessly for years and years.  I upload to CWOP, PWS Weather, Weather Underground and a web site (under maintenance at this time).

I used my console a few months ago to diagnose a dead battery in the ISS.  Before that, I had not looked at the console for years.

Personally, if I want to see what the weather is outside, I open a browser.  So there's another point of view (no pun intended) to ponder.  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2019, 06:27:04 PM »
I think we are all getting sidetracked/hijacking the thread somewhat.

the OP (JayW) asked:

What are some other issues with the consoles that would trouble a newbie purchaser such as myself?  ie the Davis Consoles. nothing about FO or ambient.

I bet he wished he hadn't asked a question now!
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2019, 06:56:26 PM »
After trying a few different brands and spending a fair amount of money keeping them running, I bought Davis.
Don't waste your money on anything else, unless you just like to spend money.

I tried the same thing and came to the same conclusion.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »
Oh yeah, good catch, completely forgot about that common address error. Still, Davis is the last place I'd go as there's half a dozen other places that are cheaper that sell OEM parts.
No argument here.  I just brought it up because "davefr" seemed to think it is the official site.  Not that I fault him for thinking that a site named "Davis Instruments" that sells Davis products might somehow be related.  If Davis was a multi-billion dollar company I suspect they'd have lawyers all over that.  :???:

Offline klschmidt

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
Am I the only one here who likes the VP2 console? I realize the spot in the kitchen where it resides is usually well illuminated, but I don't find it hard to read. If I do need to check the console in the middle of the night, pressing the top right button twice to activate the backlight is easily done in total darkness. I like the fact that the Davis console has physical buttons instead of a touch screen. No scratches or fingerprints on the screen. LCD displays don't use a lot of power; I get about a year and a half on a set of batteries without using the wall adapter. Not having it plugged in means it can be relocated to a spot most convenient to view in interesting weather events. I guess I'm just a farmer, not a weather professional. Perhaps I should get a different brand so I can see what I've been missing.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2019, 09:38:00 PM »
Am I the only one here who likes the VP2 console?

My parents like theirs.  They live on another house on the property and it's within range of the ISS.  It's from the VP-2 I started out with.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2019, 10:10:10 PM »
I have no issue with any Davis consoles starting with my 1st wizard 3. All info is easily available to view.

Offline JayW

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2019, 12:02:15 AM »
Am I the only one here who likes the VP2 console? I realize the spot in the kitchen where it resides is usually well illuminated, but I don't find it hard to read. If I do need to check the console in the middle of the night, pressing the top right button twice to activate the backlight is easily done in total darkness. I like the fact that the Davis console has physical buttons instead of a touch screen. No scratches or fingerprints on the screen. LCD displays don't use a lot of power; I get about a year and a half on a set of batteries without using the wall adapter. Not having it plugged in means it can be relocated to a spot most convenient to view in interesting weather events. I guess I'm just a farmer, not a weather professional. Perhaps I should get a different brand so I can see what I've been missing.
Excellent - thank you. I should not have assumed everyone had problems with the console. Next time around I'll ask, "What do you like or dislike about the console.?"

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2019, 09:08:52 AM »
I like my consoles, especially being able to glance at them without dragging out a cell phone or Eye Pad or what-have-you.

I have a few minor gripes that I have posted previously, mostly in the VP3 Snipe Hunt area.

Mine are mostly the lack of a true "reset" button, requiring battery and power removal. Others are the inability of the console to recognize Solar and UV from an anemometer transmitter (better sun exposure, in my case). The other would be the non-functional "rain station" capability, that is (was) in the menu system, but doesn't work.

Basically they are highly reliable. I am more interested in seeing the weather data, not having graphics cartoons....

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Ken7

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2019, 09:45:02 AM »
I like my consoles, especially being able to glance at them without dragging out a cell phone or Eye Pad or what-have-you.

I have a few minor gripes that I have posted previously, mostly in the VP3 Snipe Hunt area.

Mine are mostly the lack of a true "reset" button, requiring battery and power removal. Others are the inability of the console to recognize Solar and UV from an anemometer transmitter (better sun exposure, in my case). The other would be the non-functional "rain station" capability, that is (was) in the menu system, but doesn't work.

Basically they are highly reliable. I am more interested in seeing the weather data, not having graphics cartoons....

Greg H.

Actually, to be totally objective, the scroll “raining cats & dogs” can be construed as a graphic cartoon. Personally I think it’s silly and out of place.

However it amazes me that some can’t see that the same information currently provided by the VP2 or VU console, can’t be wrapped up in an updated & fresh look with better readability, graphics and heaven forbid, color. Many here seem to think it’s one or the other, good data and reliability or glitz with lacking information or poor reliability. Good grief, it is possible to have both in 2019 and Davis could do it if they so desired. They just don’t.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2019, 06:17:00 AM »
Count me as one who doesn't have a problem with the console. I can honestly say that issue has never even entered my mind.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2019, 06:45:26 AM »
Count me as one who doesn't have a problem with the console. I can honestly say that issue has never even entered my mind.

Agreed 100%

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2019, 06:51:05 AM »
Is this just a generational thing? No WiFi, No Bluetooth, No touch screen, No colour display, oh my how can this be? Lost our landline last month, checked down the road, one house a thirteen year old answered the door, just checking if you landline is working, get a funny look, she says .. what's a landline, arh ok, thanks anyway, last year was ripped up by a severe storm, killed the entire digital/mobile network for a week, no worries just used the dialup internet on the landline, some people wouldn't have a clue what those squirrely little noises were all about, I have a mobile that actually makes phone calls where so called smart phones don't have a signal, and they call these new phones smart phones, I call em dumb phones but hey they have a colour touch screen and 15mp camera and can download all those useless apps yet half the time can't make a simple phone call     

Offline Ken7

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2019, 07:22:20 AM »
Yeah, and the 2 orange juice cans, connected by a string, worked pretty well when I was a kid. After all, I was able to hear a voice at the other end. Who needs those dang dial up telephones?

These attitudes, if prevalent, would stop the advancement of technology in its tracks. Yikes!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:24:20 AM by Ken7 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2019, 08:52:19 AM »
Yeah, and the 2 orange juice cans, connected by a string, worked pretty well when I was a kid. After all, I was able to hear a voice at the other end. Who needs those dang dial up telephones?

These attitudes, if prevalent, would stop the advancement of technology in its tracks. Yikes!

Totally agree with you and Mattk. The problem with the Davis display console is that Davis does not have any true competitor in that business and professional hobbyist market segment. So they are complacent with 1990's technology. Why innovate when it isn't hurting the bottom line and there is nobody there to take away their business. But if Davis keeps this mindset some other company will take the crown. Acurite certainly is trying to do that with the Atlas line. If the Atlas Elite ever launches and isn't plagued by the launch issues of the Atlas 7/8 it may start to chip away at some Davis sales. In some ways the Atlas 7/8 and the newest Osprey generation from Ambient I think have chipped away at Davis sales. It is possible that Davis doesn't care because their core professional business/government segment is probably intact....for now.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything