Author Topic: Replacing Vantage Vue humidity sensor  (Read 5877 times)

Offline rob.quick

Replacing Vantage Vue humidity sensor
« on: December 26, 2016, 10:46:27 AM »
Hi,

To cut a long story short my external humidity readings are way out and have been for about 4 weeks. Today I removed the ISS from the roof of my house and dismantled it to try and remove the sensor.

A couple of questions -

I'm trying to buy part number 7315.294b to replace the old T/H sensor but cant find one on the net......any idea where I can locate one ?

How do you physically replace it as it looks sealed at both ends..........and I cant find a Youtube video........again, any ideas ?

Thanks.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Replacing Vantage Vue humidity sensor
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
Call Davis first. They might offer a replacement or a deal on it. Some of the units in the past have had this problem. You can get the part as well from Ambient Weather as well....

http://www.ambientweather.com/dadi7345283.html

Also there has been discussion here on the forum about Vue Temp/Humidity sensor failures before. I keep forgetting to use the search option in the top right corner of the forum.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24701

I would try to help more....but it is the day after Christmas and supposed to be warm today...I got home from Christmas dinner with family and found my Pro2 had "dashed out" on temp/humidity and have to go take it down....

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »
I'm trying to buy part number 7315.294b to replace the old T/H sensor but cant find one on the net......any idea where I can locate one ?

There have been several replacement parts incorporating the T/H sensor over the years. The starting point has to be the revision letter of the Vue.

7315.294b is not a replacement T/H sensor - at a guess you're looking at the part number of the unpopulated/bare PCBA.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »
http://www.weatherbuffs.com/Davis_Vantage_Vue_Temp_Humidity_Board_p/d-7315.127d.htm

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/discount-price-list/

Or just call :

Scaled Instruments
507 NW 60th Street, Ste D
Gainesville, FL 32607, USA
Phone: +1-352-262-6119 (ask for Ryan)
Email: ryanwilhour at gmail dot com

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »
I just took the station down and unplugged and replugged all of the connectors. My temp/humidity is now back and my solar is now reading normal. I am going to clean all contacts and apply some dielectric grease and all should be good.

Offline rob.quick

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 01:07:48 PM »
Johnd,

I think you're right, it appears that this sensor is intergrated/bonded into the ISS system. I'm guessing this means I have to purchase a whole new ISS unit to get the external humidity working again ?

Am I right in thinking that the older Vantage Vue units had independent sensors that could be 'unplugged' and replaced ? If so, this feels like a step backwards on the newer units.

Overall it appears what I expected to be a cheap repair is now going to be costly..........disappointing overall.

Thanks.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 01:22:02 PM »
I think you're right, it appears that this sensor is intergrated/bonded into the ISS system. I'm guessing this means I have to purchase a whole new ISS unit to get the external humidity working again ?

Am I right in thinking that the older Vantage Vue units had independent sensors that could be 'unplugged' and replaced ? If so, this feels like a step backwards on the newer units.

Overall it appears what I expected to be a cheap repair is now going to be costly..........disappointing overall.

Well, if it's an M revision then yes the harness is all-in-one. You can buy the complete harness and fit it yourself - it's reasonably easy to do, which is a bit cheaper than buying a complete ISS, though there's not a huge amount in it. (You do also need to identify whether the solar panel is separate (earlier M revisions) or included as part of the complete harness (later M units) - you need a different harness for each type.)

Yes, I can understand you thinking that it's a backwards step - Davis's argument is that the earlier pogo pin connectors on the separate components were a potential source of poor contacts and hence the all-in-one design is more reliable. I guess there's some truth in that, but I don't find it 100% persuasive, or, perhaps more to the point, don't necessarily agree that the trade-off is worthwhile.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:28:32 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 09:26:41 PM »
Have you contacted Davis ???? I have heard some Vue units sent in were swapped out for a newer unit. It won't hurt to give them a shout. I wouldn't throw in the towel until you know more.

Offline rob.quick

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 08:29:48 AM »
Hi,

I've been in contact with Davis who have confirmed exactly what johnd said - My Vue is a newer revision M, therefore to replace the humidity sensor means buying a complete new harness at around £200.
Have to say I feel really disappointed that I purchased this unit in the first place, I really should have done more homework first and purchased a unit that had replaceable parts. Appreciate it's not a Davis top end product.........but it's not a cheap weather station either........I really did expect better for the price.

I now have three options as far as I see it -

Buy a completely new ISS Vue unit.
Buy the Vantage Pro2 that I believe has replaceable parts - any views or opinions ?
Go away from Davis and buy another top end weather station - any views or opinions ?

I guess you live and learn !

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 02:50:59 PM »
Buy the Vantage Pro2 that I believe has replaceable parts - any views or opinions ?
If you've got the bucks, this is the way to go. The VP2 ISS is completely modular, has top of the line sensor (SHT31), aspiration if wanted in a better radiation shield, and the anemometer can be separated from the ISS should you choose. The Vue has none of this.

Offline GeorgeG

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 12:32:02 AM »
I know that this is an older thread but I wanted to follow up on my successful repair. I have multiple Vantage Vue ISS units that have lost their humidity readings. I unpotted the end of the temp/humidity boards to expose the surface mounted SHT daughter board. I unsoldered the board and replaced the sensor with this:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sensirion-ag/SHT11/1649-1122-1-ND/10123881

and have a completely functional repair. It may or may not be cost effective but I like fixing old stuff as a hobby.

George

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 01:00:21 AM »
It may or may not be cost effective but I like fixing old stuff as a hobby.
Nice. I do it because I can't help myself. Both my father and especially my grandfather always fixed old stuff (think Great Depression) and I do it to the point of ridiculousness at times. :roll:

anything