Weather Software > Virtual Weather Station

Migration from VWS to other software, keeping historical data - recomendations?

<< < (3/3)

SteveFitz1:

--- Quote from: BrianLehan on June 16, 2020, 05:38:49 PM ---
Steve Thanks for the information and observations. I currently am just running a script that reboots the machine regardless of a crash or not so I will check out StartWatch to see if that is a better solution for me.

Nice look to your public pages, whos scripts are you running?

Brian

--- End quote ---
Brian,

I use some scripts from the 'regular' developers (ie., Ken True, Curly at Michiana Weather, Murry Conarroe at Wildwood Weather, etc.) In addition, a large number of my scripts are ones I've written myself.

Steve

BrianLehan:
As the year rounds out, and the understatement is to say its been a different year, nevertheless I've had some time to test software. So here is the six-ish month update on this thread.

First Steve pointed me to the StartWatch software where I also found a program I had heard about but never understood what it did - Virtual VP. I installed both on my test machine. This seemed to be the best solution to test both software packages at the same time, same data, same machine.

Since early summer I've been sharing the serial/usb datalogger in my console with a combination of virtual serial ports and VVP with VWS, Cumulus MX, and Weather Display running happily. One interesting note is that I had been running VWS in compatibility mode. I removed that condition and strangely it behaved much better, almost as stable as it ever was in XP, but not totally. That said I still have a task script rebooting the machine a few times a day.

When I marched down this road I fully expected that Weather Display would be the software of choice for me to replace VWS with. CMX seemed to be too simplistic. I started testing and was surprised. On Weather Display I'm sure I could spend a year or more configuring it, whereas CMX is so easy to setup and run, and I really like the dashboard web-console of CMX. It is my go to when looking at current conditions so far.

Still neither these software packages at the moment are sending data, VWS is still uploading to everyone it still can. My goal is to start migrating these connections one at a time over to WD then after a month to CMX and see which one does the best job.

I think eventually the only thing VWS will continue to do for me is create the "broadcast" jpg that I use in my signature, more for the sentimental attachment if have to it and my Mother. Someone here I think pointed me toward some scripts that can generate a jpg from either the WD or CMX data stream, but I haven't had the time to dig through that process as it did not look like a simple click and done process to set-up. I may be wrong on that.

In any event I expect by the time this thread ages one year, I should have narrowed it down to one of the two candidates, migrated it to Windows 10, and updated the Saratoga scripts to match on the website and settle back and watch the weather.

VWS was the King in its own day. I agree with everyone who forlorned its abandoned development and demise. Would have been nice if Ambient had just released the source code to the public domain so those with skills and motivation could have fixed it to live on another decade or so. But the newer packages seem stable and that's the main feature I'm looking for.

Best wishes for you all in 2021. Stay safe.
Brian       

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version