Author Topic: What is the best ground siting location for me? Pic attached  (Read 1580 times)

Offline dratsabdeye4

What is the best ground siting location for me? Pic attached
« on: December 08, 2023, 09:46:56 PM »
I'm building my first weather station and I've settled on getting a WS-5000-ARRAY and a GW1100 to start, but I'm trying to figure out where I would put it before I make the plunge. I don't have a ladder, so I can't get on the roof.

With that in mind, I have a few other ideas for mounting places using a 10-foot pole. I know they will all have less than stellar accuracy but I'd like you guys' input on which location would be the best out of the 4.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Or if you have a better idea for a location, I'm all ears.

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
Re: What is the best ground siting location for me? Pic attached
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 10:03:08 PM »
Sorry no advice but welcome to the hobby, great fun.

CW3699

Offline G.Brown

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 04:39:03 AM »
2 looks best to me

Offline vinesweather

• Forecaster
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 04:57:13 AM »
2 looks best to me

I agree, 2 looks the best as it avoids the trees I reckon.

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 05:17:30 AM »
I'm building my first weather station and I've settled on getting a WS-5000-ARRAY and a GW1100 to start, but I'm trying to figure out where I would put it before I make the plunge. I don't have a ladder, so I can't get on the roof.

With that in mind, I have a few other ideas for mounting places using a 10-foot pole. I know they will all have less than stellar accuracy but I'd like you guys' input on which location would be the best out of the 4.

can you tell us the orientation of that photo (which way is North) and what the prevailing wind direction is? Is that road just an access road or a busy one? Is your house single or multi storey?

Offline dratsabdeye4

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 07:34:05 AM »
2 looks best to me

I agree, 2 looks the best as it avoids the trees I reckon.

Yeah, that's what I was leaning towards too. Hope the bushes don't make too much of a wind tunnel effect tho. Thanks!

Offline dratsabdeye4

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 07:35:05 AM »

can you tell us the orientation of that photo (which way is North) and what the prevailing wind direction is? Is that road just an access road or a busy one? Is your house single or multi storey?

Up is North in the photo, prevailing wind is west, it's a relatively busy road, and a single storey house.

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 08:21:10 AM »

Up is North in the photo, prevailing wind is west, it's a relatively busy road, and a single storey house.
thanks

As other have said I think 2 looks best, it shouldn't be in the lee of your house, which is single storey anyway and it's the max distance from the trees

All locations are a compromise, especially for a combined sensor package.

Be aware that your temp sensor is going to be in full sun and will probably over-read, especially in the summer. At some stage it might be worth getting a separate temp sensor and locating it on the north side of your property

Think about maintenance, at the very least you will need to change batteries so if you can allow for swinging the mounting pole down (not across the road :grin:) without hurting yourself or the sensor package!  Depending on how stiff your pole is you may need to think where you would put guy ropes without restricting access

Finally, having chosen your location dry assemble everything and make sure it works before committing! You may need to fine-tune to ensure radio signals get from the. Sensor to your WiFi router via the gateway

Good luck!!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 08:41:07 AM »
I would go with 1 because because it's out of public view. Vandalism or theft can be an issue.
Urban sighting is always an issue. Have to make the best with what you have.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 09:44:49 AM »
It looks like a wall of trees surround you. I would install on a tall pole mounted to the side of the house. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with trying to take a wind reading.

Offline dratsabdeye4

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 10:50:46 AM »

thanks

As other have said I think 2 looks best, it shouldn't be in the lee of your house, which is single storey anyway and it's the max distance from the trees

All locations are a compromise, especially for a combined sensor package.

Be aware that your temp sensor is going to be in full sun and will probably over-read, especially in the summer. At some stage it might be worth getting a separate temp sensor and locating it on the north side of your property

Think about maintenance, at the very least you will need to change batteries so if you can allow for swinging the mounting pole down (not across the road :grin:) without hurting yourself or the sensor package!  Depending on how stiff your pole is you may need to think where you would put guy ropes without restricting access

Finally, having chosen your location dry assemble everything and make sure it works before committing! You may need to fine-tune to ensure radio signals get from the. Sensor to your WiFi router via the gateway

Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!  :grin:

I have plans to expand this system in the future, so I will keep in mind what you said about the temp sensor. The pole I'm using for mounting is steel, IDK how thick but it seems pretty sturdy. Not sure how I'd make the pole "swing down" but I will look into that. I'll probably have to get on top of the car to mount the array and change batteries but I'm fine with that.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2023, 11:18:55 AM »
I would be tempted to mount on a shorter pole (7 to 8 ft.) that can be more easily reached for maintenance. With all the trees and buildings at your site, your wind measurements are a compromise and I doubt that raising it another foot or two would make much difference.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

anything