Author Topic: Davis anemometer diagnostic cable  (Read 14273 times)

Offline gvmelbrty

• Sandia Knolls, NM Weather
Davis anemometer diagnostic cable
« on: July 23, 2012, 06:11:30 PM »
Suddenly, about three weeks ago, wind data stopped appearing on my VP2 console. Zero wind speed and no wind direction pointer. I went outside and inspected the anemometer and the ISS. Nothing obvious was wrong. I called Davis and they sent me an anemometer test cable. I received it and thought I'd share some pics.

For those that don't know, this little test cable simulates wind data. You plug it into the ISS wind port and repeatedly press the red button. If you see wind data displayed on your console, then you know that the ISS is NOT the problem - something is either wrong with the anemometer cable or the anemometer itself.

The included instructions:

Since I did see wind data while pressing the button, I knew it was not the ISS causing the problem. There was a thunderstorm passing by the day the wind data disappeared, so I speculated that the anemometer got zapped by a nearby lightening strike. Wrong. I found the anemometer cable severed while preparing to take the pole down. I'll solder the wires back together later and everything should be fine. We believe a squirrel or mouse did the damage, although it does look like a rather clean cut. Upon very close inspection, you can see what look like bite marks.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 06:49:11 PM by gvmelbrty »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Davis anemometer diagnostic cable
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:54:14 PM »
So I suppose you have to take the console outside with you?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:16:16 PM »
So I suppose you have to take the console outside with you?

Yep, console is outside with you so you can observe the wind readings while you're pressing the red button (unless the ISS has a problem, then nothing will appear on your console).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:02:27 PM by gvmelbrty »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:30:39 PM »
I had an issue many years ago with my Weather Monitor II that showed nothing but a North wind. I knew better; I went and checked. Davis sent me one of these little cables too and discovered it was in the outdoor unit. Got it replaced with a new one and it worked great. Though I no longer use davis they DO take care of their customers!

Don in Ohio

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 06:23:36 AM »
They sent me one of those about a year and a half ago. Turns out my problem was the ISS.

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
I've had squirrel and pack rats chew wires
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 09:33:20 AM »
We believe a squirrel or mouse did the damage, although it does look like a rather clean cut. Upon very close inspection, you can see what look like bite marks.
Here in Sandia Heights, near Albuquerque, New Mexico, I've had a long continuing problem with pack rats getting up under the hoods of cars parked in the driveway.  Sometimes they bring along nesting materials, including fresh cut cactus parts deployed as defensive works.  They have also chewed sound blanket material or thermal insulation, and they have also chewed wires.  Sometimes it seemed casual gnawing for taste, but in the case of my daughter's Saturn, they twice chewed right through a spark plug wire, apparently in an effort to clear out a bit more living space.

Just once a squirrel took up residence in our garage, cheeping away and chewing up the styrofoam packing forms in an old large telescope box, apparently for nesting materials.  When it left after a week (possibly chased away by moth crystals), I noticed it had chewed on the 24V control wire for our central vacuum, severing the conductor.

Here is a picture under the hood of the Saturn after the first spark plug wire incident, showing defensive cactus and completely disconnected wire.

And, the same day, here is some wiring on the other side of the Saturn which just seems to have been gnawed at for taste.

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 11:29:19 AM »
Squirrels can cause ALOT of damage. If you see them scurrying around on your roof, you should investigate ASAP.
Ask me how I know. :-(
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »
I see squirrels I send the cat after them. LOL not really. How is your station and tower setup? Do you use hollow pipe? It might be a good idea to thread the cable through the pole and use a metal conduit for the rest. Or use one of those up side down dome mechanisms.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:13:59 PM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 05:29:40 PM »
I see squirrels I send the cat after them. LOL not really. How is your station and tower setup? Do you use hollow pipe? It might be a good idea to thread the cable through the pole and use a metal conduit for the rest. Or use one of those up side down dome mechanisms.

The bulk of the anemometer cable was routed inside the pole, but about ten feet was left exposed as it left the pole at the bottom and traveled toward the ISS. The exposed portion was then protected with plastic split-flex tubing:

It's hard to believe, but that squirrel or whatever it was bit through the protective loom and cut the wire inside! (Of course, after looking at archae86's photos above, I can see that these pack rats/squirrels can really do some damage.) Your advise to use some kind of conduit may be the way to go in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.

PS: archae86: my station is located about 50 miles east of you on the other side of the mountain, south of Tijeras, NM.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 07:14:38 PM by gvmelbrty »

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »
I would use flexible metal conduit.  At least if the pest does try to bite through it he'll probably break his jaw.  :lol:

I am a storm chaser.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 06:56:04 PM »
Personally, I don't think a squirrel did this. WHERE was this break?.... with the cable enclosed in something?....open to the 'air'... it just doesn't look like a squirrel chewed this, too clean a break.....but, JUST my thoughts.....
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 07:27:14 PM »
Personally, I don't think a squirrel did this. WHERE was this break?.... with the cable enclosed in something?....open to the 'air'... it just doesn't look like a squirrel chewed this, too clean a break.....but, JUST my thoughts.....

I agree, it doesn't look like an animal bite at all, but we can't find any other explanation - it's hard to believe someone would intentionally cut the wire - but it's possible. If you'll read above, I mention that the cable was enclosed in plastic split-flex tubing... it's running along the ground on the way to the ISS. You can't see it in the picture I provided, but upon very close examination, you do begin to see evidence of what could be bite marks and the split-flex tubing looks chewed, not cut. Even so, I'm still not absolutely sure, so who knows?

Flexible metal conduit would certainly present a challenge to any future furry biters! I wonder though, since the cable runs 30ft along the ground from the mast to the ISS, would metal conduit offer an easier path for an induced voltage spike to travel from a nearby lightening strike?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 07:39:26 PM »
I wonder though, since the cable runs 30ft along the ground from the mast to the ISS, would metal conduit offer an easier path for an induced voltage spike to travel from a nearby lightening strike?

Easier than the copper conductors that are inside?

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »

I agree, it doesn't look like an animal bite at all, but we can't find any other explanation - it's hard to believe someone would intentionally cut the wire - but it's possible. If you'll read above, I mention that the cable was enclosed in plastic split-flex tubing... it's running along the ground on the way to the ISS. You can't see it in the picture I provided, but upon very close examination, you do begin to see evidence of what could be bite marks and the split-flex tubing looks chewed, not cut. Even so, I'm still not absolutely sure, so who knows?

Flexible metal conduit would certainly present a challenge to any future furry biters! I wonder though, since the cable runs 30ft along the ground from the mast to the ISS, would metal conduit offer an easier path for an induced voltage spike to travel from a nearby lightening strike?
They also make versions that are coated with plastic but are pricier. So if It wasn't a animal bite next question would be how deep does the cable run under ground? I'm thinking it maybe a lawn mower or other tool if part of the cable surfaced. I accendently had that happen with one of my soil moisture sensors. I fixed it easily but seems to be a likely scenerio.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:48:53 PM by mckTXaws »

I am a storm chaser.

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
I wonder though, since the cable runs 30ft along the ground from the mast to the ISS, would metal conduit offer an easier path for an induced voltage spike to travel from a nearby lightening strike?
Easier than the copper conductors that are inside?

Good point. That should have been obvious!

They also make versions that are coated with plastic but are pricier. So if It wasn't a animal bite next question would be how deep does the cable run under ground? I'm thinking it maybe a lawn mower or other tool if part of the cable surfaced. I accendently had that happen with one of my soil moisture sensors. I fixed it easily but seems to be a likely scenerio.

For a couple of reasons (discussed below), I decided to run the extension wire above ground. As I have discovered, the drawback is that this exposed the wire to other above-ground hazards!

So, this brings up a good subject. Would it be better to bury the cable in conduit? The only reason I didn't is because it was easier to run it above ground (station is in a grassy field) and I've heard that due to condensation, moisture will accumulate inside buried conduit. Wouldn't that be a problem for connection integrity?  ... Also, would a buried extension offer any more lightening protection than my above-ground run? To answer my own question, since 30ft of the cable runs up to the anemometer, I'm sure induced lightening voltage would easily find its way to the ISS anyway.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »
Could be worse. You could have one of these guys chewing away...

This was from the Kemo web site where I got my rain sensor. They have a "Marten Defence" system for cars.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
So, this brings up a good subject. Would it be better to bury the cable in conduit? The only reason I didn't is because it was easier to run it above ground (station is in a grassy field) and I've heard that due to condensation, moisture will accumulate inside buried conduit. Wouldn't that be a problem for connection integrity? 

Was there not (at least occasionally) water inside your split-flex?  And this cable is designed to survive in the weather (heat, sun, rain, etc.).

Seriously, though - you can choose to completely seal the conduit, in which case moisture won't get in - or you can choose to leave one end (or both ends) of the conduit open, depending on the installation run, which will let it breathe.

Assuming there are no splices inside the conduit, it's not normally a problem.

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 09:31:07 PM »
So, this brings up a good subject. Would it be better to bury the cable in conduit? The only reason I didn't is because it was easier to run it above ground (station is in a grassy field) and I've heard that due to condensation, moisture will accumulate inside buried conduit. Wouldn't that be a problem for connection integrity?  

Was there not (at least occasionally) water inside your split-flex?  And this cable is designed to survive in the weather (heat, sun, rain, etc.).

Seriously, though - you can choose to completely seal the conduit, in which case moisture won't get in - or you can choose to leave one end (or both ends) of the conduit open, depending on the installation run, which will let it breathe.

Assuming there are no splices inside the conduit, it's not normally a problem.

Ok sounds good. I'll consider burying with conduit as a permanent solution to protect from an another attack by Muskrat Weasel Monster shown above! That pic is hilarious and awesome!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:33:21 PM by gvmelbrty »

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »
For this type of installation PVC may be best. For drainage You may consider what they do with irrigation systems. In the center of the trench for the conduit install a T pipe pointing down then dig a small hole and fill pebbles or sand. They do this all the time in irrigation systems for winter hibernation of the system. Then seal both ends.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
So, this brings up a good subject. Would it be better to bury the cable in conduit? The only reason I didn't is because it was easier to run it above ground (station is in a grassy field) and I've heard that due to condensation, moisture will accumulate inside buried conduit.

The only advantage of conduit would be the added protection from a stray shovel and it might make it easier to replace a damaged cable. Water will collect in conduit, so no connectors should be in the conduit, and the cable used should be rated for outdoor use.

A grassy area is probably the easiest area through which to bury a cable, just cut a shallow V shaped trench with a flat spade or a transplant shovel, lay the cable or conduit in the bottom of the trench and then replace the grass/soil mass that was removed. Water if needed and there should be little sign it was ever done within a few weeks.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »
I'd be interested in how the test cable is wired. I'm not having any problems, but just in case that ever happens it would be good to know and easy to make if we know what they're shorting.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »
and your wish is granted

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 11:36:54 AM »
I'd be interested in how the test cable is wired. I'm not having any problems, but just in case that ever happens it would be good to know and easy to make if we know what they're shorting.
+1, I, too, am curious. Guess I gotta brush-up on my reading of French: Noir, Rouge, Vert, Jaune?  Sud = south, as in Suden and Sudentenland.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:43:44 AM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 11:39:39 AM »
and your wish is granted

Can we get a translation?

I am a storm chaser.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »
T'aint too hard. Ole T-man got the colors right, the resistor values are self evident, The "boutton" is the pushbutton switch, and from the schematic, I can infer that the wind vane reading should be pointing south. The resistors take the place of the 360 degree pot in the wind vane. Google translate confirms: "This circuit simulates the south to the wind direction."