Author Topic: $30 Rain Collector Heater - simple!!  (Read 132241 times)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: $20 Rain Collector Heater - simple!!
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2010, 11:42:54 PM »
I use a wireless outdoor Christmas light switch for mine.  Along with the transformer for the heater I also have a 12V DC wallwart supply plugged into the switch.  The walwart feeds an automotive side marker lamp I have attached to the bottom of the tool shed visible from the window in the house.  The heater itself feeds through a thermal cutout switch mounted inside the funnel on the heatsink along with the heater (ceramic resistors) for safety on the warm days if I forget to turn off the switch.

Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #201 on: November 21, 2010, 12:17:35 AM »
Re the satellite dish heater.. You probably already know it but there is commercially available heaters for the dishes.  Might be able to copy somehow the designs on them.  On my old 18" round snow on the LNB nose causes more trouble then on the dish.  I've read were simply tying a black garbage back over the whole dish helps most of the time though I have never tried it.

Hotshot

NoSno

Not to change the subject - I think I may have just found a way to heat the Davis anemometer. \:D/

This one is 14" x 2" http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=HS14ARM&d=Perfect-Vision-Hot-Shot-Arm-Heater-Addon-for-Hotshot-Heaters-14x2-(HS14ARM)&c=Satellite Components&sku=
This one is 2 5/8" x 1 1/8" http://www.cyberestore.com/satellite/dish-heaters/feed-horn-heating-element.html

Does anyone know the distance between the wind vane and the wind cups (the size of the stationary part)? :?:
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2010, 02:48:15 AM »
"Does anyone know the distance between the wind vane and the wind cups (the size of the stationary part)?" :?:

It is a shade over 2.4" from the bottom of the vane drip cone which moves to the bottom of the cup drip cone which doesn't.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:40:06 AM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2010, 02:58:03 PM »
Hate to be a wet, cold blanket, but the first heater will only work on metal and the second is a simple kapton element that you can get for 5 bucks but still needs a bunch of circuitry (thermostat etc.)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2010, 08:49:55 PM »
I didn't see any information about wattage (i.e., amount of heat) either.

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #205 on: November 21, 2010, 09:17:04 PM »
Hate to be a wet, cold blanket, but the first heater will only work on metal and the second is a simple kapton element that you can get for 5 bucks but still needs a bunch of circuitry (thermostat etc.)

I may fashion a piece of sheet metal that will connect to the arm and wrap around the body of the anemometer.
I'm looking for something to help the ice melt quicker (or even prevent light icing) - any heat will be better than no heat.
I have also thought about using a dipstick type oil heater coiled around the body, but wasn't sure if that wouldn't damage the heating element by bending it that tight.

Another possibility would be running antifreeze through a tube, wrapped around the body of the anemometer, circulating back into the house to warm it. (all my wiring passes through a service entrance, so adding the tubing would not be difficult)
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
Re: $30 Rain Collector Heater - simple!!
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2011, 12:20:24 PM »
First snowfall here reminds me I need to get this setup here in DC.  Moved from Michigan, where as I understand it, it hasn't snowed yet.

Anyway... updated this with new links to the pics, and the reptile cord.  Looks like the price has crept up a bit.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2011, 01:30:43 PM »
I heat my rain collector with the 'plans' this guy had on his site, www.pdfamily.com/weather. I've been using his set up for the last 4 years and have never had a problem. Liked it so much, when I reset my WWIII, I used it again on that collector.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2011, 04:25:36 PM »
A question to anyone who has been running this setup for the three years since this thread started. Has the reptile heater held up? Does it still work after three winters? I have the spare cone, insulation and the 25 watt heater, and plan to epoxy it to the inside of the inner cone like Mike did. I just wondered if this was a short term solution, or if I can expect it to hold up for a few years.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »
A question to anyone who has been running this setup for the three years since this thread started. Has the reptile heater held up? Does it still work after three winters? I have the spare cone, insulation and the 25 watt heater, and plan to epoxy it to the inside of the inner cone like Mike did. I just wondered if this was a short term solution, or if I can expect it to hold up for a few years.

Thanks,
Steve

It works fine for me still.  There's not much too it.  It's a resistance heater is all.  I think their longevity is further assisted by the fact it is mostly static in position.  It's not being flexed all over the place.

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »
Steve: Mine has been working fine for a few years now as well. Just have to replace the plug. The last party my kids had here resulted in some vandalism to the plug, as it was yanked off :-x
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
Thanks Spartan and Ann-Marie.

I didn't know if after a few years the heat wire would burn out. I guess because it is such low resistance and heat, it doesn't consume itself.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline jeffgod

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #212 on: November 02, 2011, 07:41:42 AM »
I have ordered a second rain cone from Davis and bought the reptile heating cord. It is nice to have the step by step plans available. I still need to decide whether to use something like the Thermocube or a switched outlet to turn the heater on and off.
Member #2058
Vantage Pro 2 Cabled
WeatherLink serial version
Cumulus

Offline justin470

« Reply #213 on: November 02, 2011, 07:12:21 PM »
Do you notice a rise in your reported temperature when the heater is on?

Justin

Offline jeffgod

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #214 on: November 02, 2011, 09:16:51 PM »
I don't have it installed yet, but according to most people, here the heater does not increase recorded temps. I have looked at remote controlled 120 V outlets to control turning the heater on and off.
Member #2058
Vantage Pro 2 Cabled
Cumulus

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #215 on: November 02, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
I have looked at remote controlled 120 V outlets to control turning the heater on and off.
Going to gather everything up this weekend to build a heater. I was looking at this for control Thermo Cube. They are in stock at the local Tractor Supply for about $16. Wonder how well these would work?

Offline jeffgod

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #216 on: November 02, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »
I have heard Thermo Cube works well and the price is right. I am also gathering everything for a weekend build.
Member #2058
Vantage Pro 2 Cabled
Cumulus

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2011, 11:14:46 PM »
Do you notice a rise in your reported temperature when the heater is on?

Justin
None.  It's only 15 Watts.  It's also located above the sensors.  Intuitively I'd say it has zero relative impact considering it is in the black portion of the sensor suite that is exposed to significant heating from the sun on a regular basis.  As the sensors are adequately isolated from the influence of the sun shining on the rain gauge portion of the suite, I am comfortable stating that the effects of the 15 W heater are negligible. 

Offline jeffgod

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2011, 10:12:54 PM »
My second rain cone was delivered yesterday, so I have all my parts. I am ready to build the heater tomorrow.
Member #2058
Vantage Pro 2 Cabled
Cumulus

Offline jeffgod

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2011, 05:50:47 PM »
I just finished building my heater. I found a way to switch my outdoor outlet on and off by plugging in a remote control outlet by Heath / Zenith. It is good for outdoor use.
Member #2058
Vantage Pro 2 Cabled
Cumulus

Offline jeffgod

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #220 on: November 12, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »
I installed everything yesterday, it all works. Overnight we had about an 1" of snow, the heater melted it all in less than an hour. The rate was 0.13 in/hr and total snow/rain was 0.12". I am very satisfied with how everything went together.
Member #2058
Vantage Pro 2 Cabled
Cumulus

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »
My home-brew heater has been installed since December of 2009. I use the ThermoCube and the Reptile heater (as shown earlier in this thread). I have had no problems of any kind with it.. I swap out the heated version after the snow season and use the second bucket for the summer. Everything just works as I had hoped it would. No perceptible change in temp readings.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline AbuMaia

• Collector of Hobbies
« Reply #222 on: December 14, 2011, 07:09:33 PM »
I finally obtained my reptile heater cable, and assembled the foil blanket as per the first post. It went together fairly rapidly and easily. However, when it came time to put the cone back on the rain gauge base (LaCrosse), I could not get it to latch down. I brought the blanket back inside, rearranged the cable and shortened the blanket to better avoid the interior structure of the base, but still no-go. I got it nearly latched, but noticed the tip arm was no longer tipping. It looks like I'm going to have to figure out something else to try.
You do NOT have the right to try to force another person to live THEIR life according to YOUR beliefs, unless you accept FULL RESPONSIBILITY for their actions.

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2011, 10:03:01 AM »
I want to re-visit this thread, as I have some interesting data collected.

I've been comparing the precipitation on my VP2 vs my CoCoRaHS rain gauge since mid-September. Contrary to what I'd read here and on other forums, my VP2 was reading higher than the CoCORaHS gauge. Usually in the 5-12% range, excluding the extremes where the gauge tips and the's nothing in the manual gauge. I ignore those conditions.

However, since installing my reptile heater cable to the inner cone to melt snow, I've seen this trend flip the other way. I'm now seeing significantly less precipitation on the VP2 compared to the CoCoRaHS gauge. I have to attribute this to some of the precipitation evaporating before running down into the buckets.

I've left the heater on 24 hours a day so that it would be thoroughly warm when snow arrives. We're in that time of year that the rain could turn to snow at any time.

I installed my heater cable on the inner cone, like Rick (Weather Goose) did back on page 4, not to the inside of the foil insulation like the OP shows.

Here's a link to the Google Docs spreadsheet where I've tracked this data. (All numbers are positive, so you'll have to look at the CoCoRaHS vs VP2's "today's rainfall" to see which is higher.)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhiOaCqzSbmedGtwSTdnbEpodTV3UDUzVFViRU8wa0E

Comments? Thoughts? As expected?
Steve
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:05:26 AM by smorris »
Steve - Avon, Ohio

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #224 on: December 20, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »
Too many variables to judge fairly, but some thoughts:

1.  You've changed the configuration of the CoCoRaHS, of course. 

2.  The configuration of the VP2 isn't good for handling heavy snow and/or blowing snow conditions.  And if snow builds up (before melting), even more snow is likely to blow past the cone and thus be missed.

3.  And of course, in light snow conditions, some evaporation would be expected because of the heated cone.

anything